SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 446 Posts

·
Open mind
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Birmingham by a long chalk - Birmingham tops my list because back in Feb I was doing work there, I was tired and felt like shit, everywhere I looked was grey plus the weather was awful. I really was depressed.
Stoke
Sheffield
Hull

·
Florenceism
2,171 Posts
Because Manchester with the rain all the time is not depressing this thread it pointless there already is a city vs city thread post in there if you have to and Sheffield nor Birmingham are depressing

·
10th February 2008
59,649 Posts
Give it a rest FFS!

We've already got the City bashing and 2nd City Threads. We don't need another one of the same ilk.

On behalf of the United(red b******s) Nations of SSC, I'm asking the MODS to delete this pointless thread, before it.............

·
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK
1,994 Posts
I don't think Birmingham or Sheffield should be on that list! Both cities are amongst the most young and energetic feeling in the UK. If you said they are ugly then I could understand your opinion (although certainly not share it!!!!) I can see how someone could see there mixed building stock unattractive but I can't see how they are depressing apart from a few streets (same as ANY city).

The other ones u mentioned:
- Hill
- Stoke
- Corby

Seem more appropriate

·
Open mind
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a serious thread, whats the problem with some people?. We have many threads such as 'The Second City of the UK?' which have turned sour. Why cant we have an honest thread for once? The cities in my list are my honest opinion of depressing cities in the UK that I have been to.
We have threads with titles that praise our cities, why cant we have one that shows the negatives (from personal experience)?
- Maybe the reason why Birmingham is top of my list is because back in Feb I was doing work there, I was tired and felt like shit..... plus the weather was awful. I really was depressed.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
I'm not actually that keen on any of the big British cities anyone goes on about on here - they all have their bad, depressing bits. Give me Bristol, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Lichfield, Blackpool and Lancaster any day. :D

And probably the front bit of Liverpool, but not the behind. ;)

·
Banned
3,893 Posts
Last year, I spent a lot of time in Sheffield, and never again.

These are my reasons, and before I get jumped on they are my own opinions and some may not agree.

-Thanks to Meadowhall, the city centre lacked buzz and atmosphere. There seemed to be very few 'independent' shops, and few major ons at that.

-The Shalesmoor/west bar area seems to be suffering an identity crisis of whether it is a small industrial area or residential area (with a red light district thrown in for good measure).

-The moor, my god what an awful street. I appreciate loosing your historical buildings through the 2nd world war isn't your fault, but, there seems to be no rush to replace the horrible concrete mess.

-The indoor market. A late 60's throwback that seems to have far outlived its useful lifespan

-The winter garden. WTF is that? its a glorified greenhouse with about as many plants as the average suburban back garden, and its called a tourist attraction?!

However, just so you don't think I'm being overly harsh, there are some redeeming features:

-The peace garden: A nice open space with water features and a nice place to sit.

-The rail station: well kept and quite 'user friendly'. Much better than some city stations I've been to, such as B'ham new street and Euston, which feel like your pulling into an underground car park.

-City Hall: Quite a nice, well kept building that serves a good purpose.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Last year, I spent a lot of time in Sheffield, and never again.

These are my reasons, and before I get jumped on they are my own opinions and some may not agree.

-Thanks to Meadowhall, the city centre lacked buzz and atmosphere. There seemed to be very few 'independent' shops, and few major ons at that.
Try Eccy Road for independents. Not the city centre exactly but home to the more interesting businesses. Is it bad that the city centre is more relaxed?

-The Shalesmoor/west bar area seems to be suffering an identity crisis of whether it is a small industrial area or residential area (with a red light district thrown in for good measure).
An area of transition, do you oppose its past or future? Also it is very diverse in its uses, not bad at all.

-The moor, my god what an awful street. I appreciate loosing your historical buildings through the 2nd world war isn't your fault, but, there seems to be no rush to replace the horrible concrete mess.
The city was futuristic in 1960 - 1960s vision is todays nightmare. The moor is improving gradually with the new markets.

-The indoor market. A late 60's throwback that seems to have far outlived its useful lifespan.
Thats why they are planned for demolition in around 2013 after relocation.

-The winter garden. WTF is that? its a glorified greenhouse with about as many plants as the average suburban back garden, and its called a tourist attraction?!
Its not a tourist attraction, its a thing to see if you are round the area, the art galleries situated around it are the main attraction. It is an excellent public space.

However, just so you don't think I'm being overly harsh, there are some redeeming features:

-The peace garden: A nice open space with water features and a nice place to sit.

-The rail station: well kept and quite 'user friendly'. Much better than some city stations I've been to, such as B'ham new street and Euston, which feel like your pulling into an underground car park.

-City Hall: Quite a nice, well kept building that serves a good purpose.
Replies in bold.

1 - 20 of 446 Posts