SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This are the most developed countries in every continent, according to the HDI 2011

Europe

Norway 0.943

North America

United States 0.910

South America

Chile 0.805

Oceania

Australia 0.943

Africa

Seychelles 0.773

Asia

Japan 0.901

Why do you think this countries stand out among their neighbours??

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
You can only ask that question, if these countries lead their regional table with a significant difference to their follow-ups.

What would make Norway stand out significantly against Denmark and Sweden, or the rest of Western Europe?

How big is the difference between USA and Canada?

·
Motorways Runner
36,413 Posts
You can only ask that question, if these countries lead their regional table with a significant difference to their follow-ups.

What would make Norway stand out significantly against Denmark and Sweden, or the rest of Western Europe?

How big is the difference between USA and Canada?

exactly!

·
It was aliens
4,782 Posts
??? Depends on what you mean by "developed"...
I mean there aren't ghetto slums where you'll get shot in most major cities, the average canadian is also now wealthier than the average american, the public education and healthcare systems are way better etc....

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I'm totally biased but when considering quality of life, per capita GDP, median income, debt to GDP.......Canada is ahead in all those categories so I would have though Canada over the US.
In South America I would have thought either Argentina or Uruguay would have been above, but not by much, Chile.
I do tend to think dividing the comparisons along continents is pretty dumb. Some of the continents have dozens of countries and some have only a few like Oceania.

·
***Alexxx***
5,275 Posts
I also would have put Canada before the US. The divide between rich and poor is too big in the US. Some people in Mississippi and other southern areas practically live in shanty towns!

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
4,258 Posts
USA has one of the highest living standards in the world. However it has large inequality and considering that it is a large country you notice the poorer people. But the poor people are a minority in USA, the majority and the median is high.

Here is GDP per capita and HDI

·
Look at that parking lot!
9,488 Posts
Fortunately the UN created the HDI. Without it SSC wouldn't have all these valuable "development" threads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What is the criteria of being developed?
Aren’t Singapore or UAE more developed than Japan in Asia?

·
38,910 Posts
HDI doesn't take into account economic prosperity alone. UAE would score well in per capita income (PPP), but worse in the education index and life expectancy.

Asian Top 5
12. Japan .901
26. Singapore .866
30. UAE .846
33. Brunei .838
37. Qatar .831

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
4,258 Posts
HDI doesn't take into account economic prosperity alone. UAE would score well in per capita income (PPP), but likely worse in the education index.

Asian Top 5
12. Japan .901
26. Singapore .866
30. UAE .846
33. Brunei .838
37. Qatar .831
You forgot Hong Kong 0.898, South Korea 0.897, and Taiwan 0.882.

Asian Top 5

12. Japan .901
13. Hong Kong .898
15. South Korea .897
22. Taiwan .882
26. Singapore .866

·
38,910 Posts
I don't consider Hong Kong a country, but I did forget South Korea. I went to Wikipedia and Taiwan is missing. You're correct that it should be there.

HDI is a rather flawed index any way. It doesn't take into account human rights (women, gay, disabled, religious, etc.) or touch on how the judiciary works. I don't consider any country with capital punishment to be all that advanced when it comes to 'human development'.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
I mean there aren't ghetto slums where you'll get shot in most major cities, the average canadian is also now wealthier than the average american, the public education and healthcare systems are way better etc....
That's all simply opinion...

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
These kind of self-masturbation threads about who is "developed" and who is not, or worst, the shit rankings, should be banned from this part of the forum. The citytalk and urban issues section was supposed to be serious.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.