SkyscraperCity Forum banner

These kinds of threads are stupid, and too subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now:

1. New York (largest city of the most powerful country in the world, and largest economy in the world, home to two of the worlds largest stock exchanges. also one of the most vibrant cities in the world)

2. Tokyo (largest city of the second largest economy in the world, most influential and important city in Asia, one of the largest stock exchanges)

3. London (arguably the most important city in Europe, city of another G8 country, one of the largest stock exchanges).

4. Berlin (Germany has the third largest economy and home to some of the biggest corporations)

5. Paris (another European powerhouse, home to one of the largest stock exchanges, Big influence on western culture (fashion, cuisine...), Europe’s most beautiful city and biggest tourist destination)

6. Hong Kong (china's big economic center, and will only become bigger and more influential as china continues to grow and develop)

7. Washington (the capital of the largest economic and military power in the world)

8. Chicago (second biggest economic hub in America, Since America's economy is larger than Japan, Germany, UK, France combined, it makes sense to have Chicago on the list, especially if one is to include three European cities)

9 .Moscow (still has a shit load of nukes, and their economy has been improving, and the further the development and progress will add to its influence)

10. Toronto (the largest city of the 9th largest economy in the world, home to one of the largest stock exchanges)

Notables not making the list:
Seoul, Beijing, Mumbai, Shanghai, Singapore, Milan, Madrid, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston

2050 (maybe not by then but there is defiantly going to be a notable shit in power, and along with that shift will be a shift in influence)

1. New York (still a top of the list, but I think Asian cities are going to start giving it a run for it's money by around this time, and America may be on the fall by then (hopefully not, but unfortunately history tells us it is inevitable))

2. Tokyo (still think it will attain its spot but, arguably Beijing and Hong Kong will be right their or ahead of it)

3. Hong Kong (being more influential in world economy will keep it ahead of Beijing)

4. Beijing (it is also developing as an economic power along with a political one, and of course being the capital city of a country of billion plus people helps)

5. London (I think it will still be the hub in Europe)

6. Berlin (still very influential and will probably be home to one of the 5 largest economies)

7. Washington (capital of one of the two superpowers, arguably America will still be more powerful than China, but unfortunately it won't be long before America will seed that title to China)

8. Seoul (South Korea will continue to develop and benefit from China, its standard of living is already fairly high and its GDP growth over the past few years has been amazing.

9. Mumbai (I think India will have developed enough by than to exert influence, plus it is going to be the most populated country in the world, and as standard of living improves so will its influence, and it will move up on that list as the years progress)

10. Toronto (its influence will rise especially since Canada is abundant in recourses, and aggressive immigration policy will allow it to remain as one of the top ten economies, it is also not unrealistic to see it surpass all European countries except Germany in population)

Falling off the list:

Chicago (only because the world is globalizing)

Paris (will remain culturally influential, but Paris will be the odd one out in Europe)

Moocow (you never know about Russia, it could still arguably be in the list)

Notables not on the list in 2050: I think in due time

Sao Paulo (eventually it will be on that list but by when who knows),

Buenos Aries (continues develop, but I think it will be overshadowed by Sao Paulo)

Shaghai (if any country will have three cities on that list it will probably a Chinese city)

Los Angeles (culturally will still be big, but beyond that?)

Karachi ( as relations between India improve, and economic growth continues, Pakistan will benefit as power shits east, it has kept pace with India in development, also the Karachi stock exchanges was the best performer of this past year)

Kula Lumpur (as Asia continues to develop)

Istanbul (who knows!)

......?????

Falling off the radar: Madrid, Milan, San Francisco, Boston, Sydney………….

.....................YOUR GUYS THAUGHTS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Your lists of now and in 2050....

Cities not on your the lists, but some which will be on the outside looking in, both now and in 2050..........

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't think Sydney will fall off the list, due to Australia pursuing closer ties with Asia, and in particular China. The economy has been growing for a long time, and the population of Australia is reaching a point where the highly educated citizens participating in the creative and cultural industries don't need to move to London or the US to find good work (which has been the case in the past, the Australian diaspora is well known) and will stay in Australia, thus increasing its cultural profile. Melbourne is set to gain a lot from this, being the culture capital of Australia. I could be spectacularly wrong though.

Also, Baghdad may become an important city in 2050, I wouldnt be surprised. The new government, in the long run, will be aware that oil will not sustain the country forever and may embark on Dubai style projects and ideas.

·
spaghetti polonaise
8,867 Posts
Just because Berlin is Germany`s capital doesn't make it the most important german city economy-wise. Berlin has mainly political power, while other german cities like Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg and possibly Düsseldorf have most of the economic power with a lot of corporations having their seats there.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
DiggerD21 said:
Just because Berlin is Germany`s capital doesn't make it the most important german city economy-wise. Berlin has mainly political power, while other german cities like Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg and possibly Düsseldorf have most of the economic power with a lot of corporations having their seats there.
I was about to say he should replace Berlin with Frankfurt...

But Germany is such a differnt country, with so many cities attributing to one...

Frankfurt
Berlin
Hamburg
Munich
Essen
Cologne
Bonn
Dusseldurf

etc...

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Not to start anything, but being politically, economically, militarily powerful to the point of being a superpower can the way leaders think about running a country, not saying China will, but you don't know for sure whether it's better or worse if America or China were more powerful. Other than that I agree with the list.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
on another note:

I think important cities should be based on global activity, companies, population (well, not nessesarly), and international connections.

Dubai might get media attention, and become the new "Las Vegas". To think what would happen if they had legal gambling :(.

Cities that are important now: (no order)

New York City
Chicago
Los Angeles
Houston
Dallas
San Francisco
Seattle
Miami
Toronto
Vancouver
Montreal
Mexico City
Sao Paulo
Rio de Janiro
Beunos Aires
Santiago
Bogota
London
Paris
Berlin
Frankfurt
Madrid
Barcelona
Rome
Milan
Vienna
Zurich
Warsaw
Moscow
St. Petersburg
Tehran
Dubai
Riydah
Cairo
Johannesburg
Lagos
Cape Town
Durban
Mumbai
Delhi
Calcutta
Bangkok
Kuala Lumpur
Singapore
Jakarta
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Guangzhou
Shenzen
Beijing
Wuhan
Taipei
Seoul
Tokyo
Osaka
Sydney
Melbourne

I might have forgotten a few, so forgive me.

And they'll be just as important in 2050.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
elletijanii said:
LondON Is the most powerful in the whole of Europe. The most important city in the G4 country, UK!
-
- i predict LondON as being the Worlds best city in them times..im a psycic
thats a tad bias ;)

But London will always continue to lead the European market.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DiggerD21 said:
yeah thats why i wasn't sure about germany because it has many cities of note, while england only has london, and france only has paris

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
and this cities??

-Mexico city

-Santiago de Chile

-Buenos Aires

-Sao Paulo

-Shangai

-Sidney

:s!

·
I'm a Genesis member
534 Posts
Pyo.....Pyongyang :sleepy:

·
Banned
125 Posts

2050 nations GDP ranking

1 China - 44074000000000 $
2 United States - 37161000000000 $
3 India - 28936000000000 $
4 Brazil - 7272000000000 $
5 Japan - 7230000000000 $
6 Russia - 5732000000000 $
7 Korea - 4176000000000 $
8 German - 4057000000000 $

Per 2050 nations 1st person GDP ranking

1.The United States - 82,179$
2.Korea - 61,863$
3.Germany - 57,670$
4.Japan - 55,082$
5.Russia - 48,685$
6.Brazil - 38,407$
7.China - 37,304$
8.India - 24,619$

http://www.new-frontiers.org/classicdocs/thebricsreport.pdf -> 22page

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
if the LA metro was its own country it would have the worlds 16th largest GDP, yet most of you leave it of the list. very interesting. The port complex is the third largest in the world (in terms of cargo handled) as well as having over 50% of the country's products coming through the port. There are 17 million people in the metro (the numer is suppose to be at 23 million by 2020 so who knows how many by 2050, and is home to some of the worlds most influential companies and minds. Just because LA's econonmy is based on small businesses, dont count us out.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.