Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we're (I) on the topic, what would all of you say are the most liberal cities/metros in the country? Aside from the traditional San Fran, Boulder, Madison, San Diego, and New York (I know these claims are going to upset some), are there any others that people know about?

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
These are all the ones I can think of outside of Madison, NYC and San Fran.

Boston, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Miami, Seattle, Chicago. Portland, OR, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Ann Arbor is very liberal too.

DC is not all the liberal metro wise, but the city is very liberal, that's the way a lot of the cities that have mentioned are.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Springfield, MA's metro
Dulth, MN/Superior WIS's metro
montpelier, vermont metro
Memphis's metro
Quad cities's(IL/IA) metro
MOntgomery(AL)'s metro

Just some guesses.

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
90% of DC voted for Kerry, which I guess is a pretty overwhelming way to put it. I'd say Baltimore is less liberal than DC, especially the counties around it. The DC area is pretty liberal while the Baltimore suburbs barely have a liberal lead or are very conservative (ie. Anne Arundel, Harford, etc.)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I would say the Bay Area
followed by Seatle, L.A. New York, Chicago....

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Yes, DC is extremely liberal, the maryland suburbs went to kerry by a lot, esp. PG, and Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria did too, it's the outer burbs went bush, but with towns like SF and Boston out there, there are much much more liberal places overall.

·
Registered
198 Posts
From personal experience, I've found that these cities fit the bill:

Portland, ME
Burlington, VT
Boston/Cambridge, MA
Providence, RI
Springfield/Northampton/Amherst, MA
Hartford, CT
New Haven, CT
New York, NY
Philadelphia, PA
Washington, DC
Cleveland, OH
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Ann Arbor, MI
Madison, WI
Austin, TX
Miami/Fort Lauderdale, FL
Lawrence, KS
San Francisco/Berkeley, CA
Los Angeles, CA

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
^ Since we're talking about metros, which are usually several counties combined, this map might help:

It looks like the areas around Boston, San Fran and Minneapolis have the highest count of blue and purple counties, with very little red in the area.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think it would be much easier to discuss conservative metros since most urban areas tend to lean more democratic. Conservative metros are definately the exception

·
Registered
211 Posts
It would be interesting if someone could do a metro democrat/republican voting map and an unempoylment rate map to compare..........anyone anyone?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts