SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the most run down city or town in canada? not individual neighbourhoods but entire cities or towns

·
Canadian
779 Posts
That would have to be somewhere really depressed and neglected. I don't want to upset anyone, but, as for larger centres, Sydney area NS, and Saint John NB come to mind. Suprisingly, St.John's Nfld is not run down because of the heritage preservation of the older areas.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hmmm...tough to say. I suppose it depends on the size of the city you're referring to. For the major cities in Canada my own (Winnipeg) certainly has more than it's fair share of neighbourhoods that could use some work but I don't think I'd say it was the most run-down city in Canada. Truth is, the answer seems to be rather subjective anyway. One person sees old dilapidated housing and another sees trendy urban environment. If anything, about the best examples in Canada are probably going to be those smaller cities that are reliant on one industry for the most part. Usually in those cases, when the industry tanks, the communities follow suit pretty quickly. Those are probably the best examples of "run down" communities in Canada.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Probably Wallaceburg, Ontario. One of the most trashiest towns I have ever seen, a ton of factories closed there, and the economy and population and been ailing ever since. Sarnia, Ontario is also quite dumpy.

But for the most run-down downtown, that definitely goes to Brantford.

I hear Cornwall is pretty dumpy, but I have yet to be there, and I might travel there to take pictures for Ontario Trillium Photography.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sydney is the worst city of any reasonable size in Atlantic Canada. I have never been to Saint John but it seems like it's better off in a number of ways.

Cities like Saint John, Trois Rivières, Thunder Bay, etc. are all in a pretty similar situation. I am kind of surprised that Saint John hasn't done a little better though. It has a lot more history than any of those other cities (it used to be the fourth largest city in the country) and fairly good connections to the US.

Partly it has been harmed by being turned into a company town, run by Irving. Sydney was the same way with coal and steel. There's very little in either city in the way of entrepreneurship and innovation. Saint John also has to compete directly with Moncton and Fredericton, and it hasn't gotten much support from either level of government.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jaybird said:
Probably Wallaceburg, Ontario. One of the most trashiest towns I have ever seen, a ton of factories closed there, and the economy and population and been ailing ever since. Sarnia, Ontario is also quite dumpy.

But for the most run-down downtown, that definitely goes to Brantford.

I hear Cornwall is pretty dumpy, but I have yet to be there, and I might travel there to take pictures for Ontario Trillium Photography.
Brantford's downtown is actually in a reasonable state of repair. Just everything is boarded up and empty. I can think of other downtowns that are more lively but in shabbier condition.

Sarnia, over-all, I wouldn't consider dumpy, but nearer the refineries the neighbourhhoods obviously are. No surprises there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
azzurri.chris said:
Montreal?
What, really? Granted there are neighbourhoods that could use some work for sure but generally a run-down city? I wouldn't go that far personally.

·
Registered
197 Posts
LooselogInThePeg said:
What, really? Granted there are neighbourhoods that could use some work for sure but generally a run-down city? I wouldn't go that far personally.
Well run-down? Ok, maybe not run down...for for a city our size, with our prominence in the world...
-Our city is dirty. Our parks and streets are covered in litter!
-Our infrastructure, roads, highways, bridges, are litterally falling apart.
-Some areas near downtown are just begging to be developed!

Compare Montreal to other 1st-world cities our size (i.e. Melbourne, Phoenix, Seattle, etc...), and Montreal will look like a dump. No joke!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Kirkland Lake is probably the most run-down looking of Northern Ontario's towns and cities.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
azzurri.chris said:
-Our infrastructure, roads, highways, bridges, are litterally falling apart.
certainly. Some roads in Montreal are so bad, it's unbeleiveable. I remember coming down Mount Royal (can't remember what street it was... near the General Hospital). The lane I was in looked like it had been washed away, no joke. And there wasn't even any temporary signs or barriers... I would have run my car off the road if I hadn't seen it. It goes to show how much Montreal can get away with.. it's a dump, but we still love it to bits!

Another city that deserves mentioning is Hamilton. I love Hamilton, but I remain very critical of it. Pick your poison... the steel mills are impressive, but are very ugly. Whole industrial areas look like they've been forgotten. Alot of houses are in despicable shape (paint peeling, leaning to one side, general disrepair). Alot of roads are racked with potholes. Even new buildings are often built cheaply, and will not take long to look 'run down'. It almost seems that alot of citizens don't even care. I yelled at a girl who was ripping pages from a book and tossing them everywhere while walking through a park. Her parents didn't care. What the **** is wrong with people???

my list is as follows...

Montreal (relatively speaking)
Hamilton
Cornwall
Brantford

thats all I know

·
Registered
197 Posts
algonquin said:
certainly. Some roads in Montreal are so bad, it's unbeleiveable. I remember coming down Mount Royal (can't remember what street it was... near the General Hospital). The lane I was in looked like it had been washed away, no joke. And there wasn't even any temporary signs or barriers... I would have run my car off the road if I hadn't seen it. It goes to show how much Montreal can get away with.. it's a dump, but we still love it to bits!
Yup, that would be Cote-des-Neiges. I take that route every day. That barrier you were talking about was actually under construction. It's now built, but there are still a zillion pot holes littered all over that street.

·
261 Posts
Where'd you hear that? A lot of people I've met think that because it's next to Detroit, it must be bad - but the cities are real opposites.

There are definitely run-down neighbourhoods in Windsor but no more than other cities its size.

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
potholes are a problem in Montreal. We have a really bad weather, plus a lack of funding.

The city is redoing many many streets in the city and will need a billion or so to do everything. its not impossible if that money from the gaz tax passes on to the cities.

I don't think its a major problem per se, it can be fixed.

Filth and litter is a problem too, but the mayor has enacted some new bylaws to fix these things wich are more present in poorer and crowded areas.

I could name some streets that are rundown but its always related to economic conditions. Poorer areas always suck compared to richer ones like any other city.

My most vivid memory of filth comes from Toronto tho, i was getting off the bus near chinatown early in the morning and i had to walk thru to go to my hotel. The Staunch and odour was out of this world, I nearly vomitted on the spot. I never witnessed anything like that ever. (Toronto is a clean city generally speaking).

·
Registered
695 Posts
Haligonian said:
I am kind of surprised that Saint John hasn't done a little better though. It has a lot more history than any of those other cities (it used to be the fourth largest city in the country) and fairly good connections to the US.

Partly it has been harmed by being turned into a company town, run by Irving.
This is due to various factors. Yes, the Irvings have a huge monopoly- really all over Atlantic Canada and many New England States. However, this isn't the biggest problem.

Also, Saint John has a very OLD population which generates very little revenue for the province when there is no income to tax, but only pensions to give.

As well, when you have idiotic mayors who sign land tax deals at a flat rate of $500 000/yr for 20+ years to a major corporation, you don't get a whole lot of cash flow! The actual taxes were SUPPOSED to be several million per year. However, the mayor was in fear of losing "jobs" because if our city council didn't sign on, the company "would" have left Saint John- bullshit. Yeah, those 20 jobs sure would have sent us down the shitter eh? Fucking idiot.

We have a strong tourism industry. Last year alone Saint John weclomed ~ 140 000 cruise ship passengers. That is impressive.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts