SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Motovun (Montona)

The picturesque medieval town of Motovun lies in the northwest part of central Istria high up on a hill (177m) overlooking the valley of the river Mirna.

The town of Motovun offers a number of wineries, restaurants, hotel, apartments and rooms. In its surroundings, guests can also enjoy their holiday in agrotourism which also offers accomodation including apartments and rooms.

Motovun is one of the most well preserved medieval towns in all of Istria. The centre of Motovun was built as a fortress surrounded by thick stone walls which protected the city from intruders. As tourism in this area grew, those walls were adapted into walkways on which visitors can walk around the city and enjoy the spectacular view of the green hills and valleys of central Istria.

Within the walls of Motovun lies a palace, a town square, and the town church as well as many other cultural and historical monuments.

Motovun also has to offer a hotel, restaurants and cafes. The two things it is most well known for are its truffles which are served in many different ways in its restaurants and its wine, Motovun's Teran.

During the summer months the International Motovun Film Festival takes place. Visitors from all over the world come here to watch films which represent different cultures as well as take part in different artistic workshops.

Motovun is a town of history, culture, and it is surrounded by breathtaking nature. It is the perfect place for a relaxing yet fascinating holiday.

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Motovun - Interesting Fact # 1

Motovun is famous for the Motovun International Film Festival which attracts huge crowds and famous artists from around the world. Its the premiere film festival in the region which has representation from a large number of countries ....

Motovun Film Festival ...
http://www.motovunfilmfestival.com

Motovun also has its own well known Film School. :)

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motovun - Interesting Fact # 2

Motovun is also the place of birth of Mario Andretti who is a world famous racing car driver. :)

Mario Andretti signing autographs ...

Andretti, Mario , 1940–, American auto racing driver, b. Motovun Croatia. He is the only driver to have won the Indianapolis 500 (1969), stock racing's Daytona 500 (1967), and the international Formula One championship (1978). He retired from Indy-car racing in 1994 with 52 victories, second only to A. J. Foyt, but continued his attempts to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Andretti is the head of a racing family that includes his son Michael Andretti,. 1962–, also a noted Indy car driver, son Jeff, and nephew John.

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
^ Those pics are from somewhat 'old' - from 1998...wait until I post some newer ones ;)
:)

·
Super Moderator
11,286 Posts
Restored or not, the place looks mystical!
Really underated IMO, I've never heard about it before and this is definitely a place worth visiting if I ever get to Croatia

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
3tmk said:
Restored or not, the place looks mystical!
Really underated IMO, I've never heard about it before and this is definitely a place worth visiting if I ever get to Croatia
That is what i am saying too. There is nothing that has to be restored in this town. 90 percent of the houses - buildings were made of stone, you cant paint that stone or put a facade on it. I like it the way it looks, some 'restoration' might just ruin the atmosphere :)

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Anyway, as i promised to add more recent pics....here we go :

:)

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Much better and more recent pictures Bubach. Thanks. :)

Another interesting fact about this part of Croatia is that there are a number of similar towns in the region of Istria that are built on hilltops similar to Motovun. Motovun is probably the most better known one for a number of reasons.

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
^ A morti i vasa ;)

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
intervention said:
Beautiful. Croatia's countryside also looks so unspoiled :)
Everyone hits the coast, but so many people dont realise the beauty of the inland towns which are only a short distance from the seaside. Motovun is one of many which are now gaining popularity as the Istrian penisula has been declared the "New Tuscany". So many foreigners are moving in on the charming old towns, mansions and houses in this part of Croatia. :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
^ I think everyone woman needs to visit Croatia in her lifetime. :) There is nothing that can ever explain how beautiful you feel with breezy clothes, sunshine in your hair, clunking your way down narrow, cobbled streets in high heels. ;) Croatia's architecture puts a sexy swing in your hips.

I can't explain it. ;) But a woman feels best herself in Croatia.

·
otišao i neće se vratiti
6,736 Posts
Motovun is great town! Every year I promise myself "I am going to Motovun film festival", but something always stop me – lack of money and time mostly. But this year I am really going there :D

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
Mila said:
^ I think everyone woman needs to visit Croatia in her lifetime. :) There is nothing that can ever explain how beautiful you feel with breezy clothes, sunshine in your hair, clunking your way down narrow, cobbled streets in high heels. ;) Croatia's architecture puts a sexy swing in your hips.

I can't explain it. ;) But a woman feels best herself in Croatia.

spontaneously something came to my mind, have you seen Budweiser advert where few guys in Mexico or US (Tijuana beach or Miami) complain how in Spain all women have there knickers of, and how in Mexico or US this is illegal (being surrounded by skinny woman and all supermodels I might add, lol. Anyways at the same time in Spain, 2 guys laying next to fattest woman in Spain (she is taking here knickers off) and complain how in US they forbid woman taking off there knickers, lol.... :) :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious

1 - 20 of 20 Posts