SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I am moving to Cape town from beginning December and need some help from my future fellow Cape Townians

I am looking for a 1 bed room place in the Southern suburbs. Problem is the only area i really have experience with is rondebosch. My girlfriend is at Varsity College and doesnt want to have to drive far to get to campus so rondebosch will be ideal. that being said how far south of that would be considered closish but still very safe and decent?

There are a lot of places available in Kenilworth and Wynberg at decent prices but i am very skeptical of those areas as some people have told me that parts of those suburbs can be "scummy".

Am i being realistic in hoping to find a place for no more than R6000 a month?

·
The man in the street
968 Posts
Hey guys

I am moving to Cape town from beginning December and need some help from my future fellow Cape Townians

I am looking for a 1 bed room place in the Southern suburbs. Problem is the only area i really have experience with is rondebosch. My girlfriend is at Varsity College and doesnt want to have to drive far to get to campus so rondebosch will be ideal. that being said how far south of that would be considered closish but still very safe and decent?

There are a lot of places available in Kenilworth and Wynberg at decent prices but i am very skeptical of those areas as some people have told me that parts of those suburbs can be "scummy".

Am i being realistic in hoping to find a place for no more than R6000 a month?
You definitely could find a one-bedroom for under R6 000. Wynberg can be dodgy. I'd go no further south than Kenilworth, which is great -- especially around Harfield Village. Also, look into Claremont, Newlands and Rosebank. You could also go as far south as Plumstead, but beware: that's when Cape Town starts becoming Hickville. (I can say that because I grew up in the South Peninsula backwater and am technically a reformed hillbilly.)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I concur with these guys.
Rosebank, Rhondebosch, Claremont, pinelands/newlands border
Maybe Mowbray - southern part. - Upper Wynburg is ok. the mainroad and around the station is a bit miff.
Kenilworth is alright, and harfield too.
Plumstead Heathfield etc untill Lakeside is a bit kakkie.
Muizenburg aint bad if she's ok with the train? - try close to Fas Bay station etc - "Muizenburg Village".

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that guys.

How long does a drive take from kenilworth to Mowbray?

·
The man in the street
968 Posts
PS: I agree with Marsupalami about Muizenberg. If you don't mind a 30-or-so-minute train journey to Rondebosch, it's a good option. You could probably even get a one-bedroom flat on the beach for your budget. But, like I say, it's even more laidback down that way, and sometimes you can feel like you're a million miles from any development. And, hippies. The southern suburbs between Kenilworth and Mowbray are more lively.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think the GF wants to live that far south, she is quite a nervous driver so she wants to stay as close to rondebosch as possible

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dude! This is Cape Town. Don't drive, use the train ;)
my GF will stay as far away from the train as possible after our recent holiday in CT in November. We went down to Simonstown ad on the way back up to Rondebosch the train got so packed, people were hanging out the train. in the squash some old man decided to have a good feel of her legs thinking she wouldnt know who it was, i grabbed her to get out at the next stop and he decided to grab her leg and try pull her back in the train. Luckily a group of guys saw what was happening and game a him a klap and she managed to get out with me. Was way too traumatic for her and she most likely will stay far away from the train.

·
23,317 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't encourage girls especially to use the train alone. Especially when it's avoidable by living closer to where you need to be.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys fro all the help. I will be down in September to do some flat shopping. If you have any friends or family that are looking for tenants please PM me

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Friends of cape town...some help please.

So looking at a few places and the realtors have shown me an offer in Woodstock. the apartment is called "Harbour views" (Bromwell Street). any advice on the area specifically for a young couple?

other offer was in anfield village in Pinelands. rather cheap for which makes me suspect on the area

your advice is greatly appreciated

·
The man in the street
968 Posts
Friends of cape town...some help please.

So looking at a few places and the realtors have shown me an offer in Woodstock. the apartment is called "Harbour views" (Bromwell Street). any advice on the area specifically for a young couple?

other offer was in anfield village in Pinelands. rather cheap for which makes me suspect on the area

your advice is greatly appreciated
Chalk and cheese. Pinelands is basically a retirement village, while Bromwell Street is in a part of Woodstock that could still be considered dodgy.

·
Karoo Prime
1,212 Posts
Bromwell Street is the one that runs behind the Old Biscuit Mill... it is VERY DODGY, as there is a notorious drug house there, as well as the entrance to the stables, where lots of vagrants and drug users hang around.I would avoid it if I were you.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Try Rhondebosch East, Kenilworth or even Athlone/Ottery nearer to the s/suburbs railway line. not far from Newlands Rugby stadium/Uni after all.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Rondebosch is a great area for young people in 20s, 30s to live, best in southern suburbs in my opinion, with UCT, many shops, restaurants and young people. A bit more expensive than the areas mentioned above, but completely affordable if you have a decent job.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys!

Its so difficult trying to find a place whilst im still in Durban. We are keen on Rondebosch, but its quite pricey and the newer developments are tiny! we will keep looking though.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So good news is that i found the perfect flat in a prime spot on Highstead road in Rondebosch.

Next dilemma is...can you guys give me the best route to take to get from there to Tygervalley where ill be working. Trying to avoid traffic particularly in the morning. ANy one have some insight?

·
The man in the street
968 Posts
So good news is that i found the perfect flat in a prime spot on Highstead road in Rondebosch.

Next dilemma is...can you guys give me the best route to take to get from there to Tygervalley where ill be working. Trying to avoid traffic particularly in the morning. ANy one have some insight?
Rondebosch: nice!

You're probably going to want to take the Main Road to the N2. Then the N2 to the M5. Then M5 to N1. Not sure if that's the quickest.

·
23,317 Posts
From Rondies to Tygervalley you're driving in the opposite direction to most traffic, so I don't imagine you'll hit much. Perhaps only a bit heading into Tygervalley, but it shouldn't be too bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts