SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if all goes well I plan to move to Chicago by Mid-June. Currently my condo is in escrow, and hopefully it will close in a two weeks with you problems.

Now I have been looking at different condos around Chicago, but I'm not sure of many of the neighborhoods. I lived in Chicago back in 1990, but I don't have a clue what many of the areas I've looked in are like. This is where I need your help.

My plan right now is go hopefully go back to school, and I want to only work part time(I hope). With the profit I'll make from this crazy market in LA, I can't afford to put it back into another place, not even a smaller 1 bedroom condo. I have a two bedroom now, and don't want to go smaller. Since I going to try and go to school, I need to keep my mortgage low. From the listing I've looked at in Chicago, I'm blowned away at some of the low prices.

Now here is the question, what would a neighborhood be like when I see a 2 bedroom 2 bath at $219,000, or a 2 bed 1 bath in the same building @ $185,000 be like. For instance this was in a area just a few doors down from Humbold Park @ 3231 W HIRSCH Unit: 4R CHICAGO, IL 60647 What is this neighborhood like? It there a main street nearby in walking distance of shopping, dinning, cafes, and coffeehouses, gym, etc.? It is a decent area where you don't have to worry about being rob for the most part? I'm not one who gets scare easy (I grew up in Watts & South Central) but I want a quiet area thats progressing. The only thing I didn't care about was the area isn't serviced by the El. I would like to find something within walking distance of the El.

I also noticed that Hyde Park had some very low prices on condos. It is truly that these condos are in the heart of Hyde Park, or do you think they are adverstised as such because they are close by? I've seen some listed as low at $160,000 for three bedrooms. I'm just a little leary that something is wrong, or the inside is thrashed.

So I would be truly grateful for your input, and suggestions of neighborhoods to look in thats decent. I will be living with my cousins out in Elgin when I fisrt arrive, but I want to move into my own place as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Lots of guns in Humbolt Park.

Hyde Park is way cool.

Andersonville you will pay about 275-300 for a decent 2 bedroom flat.
Lakeview and Lincoln Park are higher.
Rogers Park, can buy from the Mid 100's to 200's. Close to Evanston but the night life and street life sucks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW here are the photos a real estate agent went out and took the other day for me. This is the 2bed 2 bath for $219,000 near Humbold Park. I noticed to that this area is not that far from a area I visited on North Ave. They have a Whole Food Market and a Peets Coffee in that shopping center. Am I correct in my observation, or is the map I'm looking at make it seems closer than it really is?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chicago3rd said:

Hyde Park is way cool.

Rogers Park, can buy from the Mid 100's to 200's. Close to Evanston but the night life and street life sucks.
Hyde Park isn't out of the question, I just have a issue with public transportation in the area. I no its serviced by Metra, and CTA Express Bus, I just wish it was serviced by the El.

I was going to ask about Rogers Park, so its pretty dead. I don't have to have night clubs all around me since thats not my thing. So other street life is dead, no cafes, or Starbucks (lol) ?

I had asked the real estate agent about Humbolt Park, and her response was it she felt very safe there. I wanted to get the scoop truly from the locals, because I know many agents will say anything to get you interested in buying.

·
Registered
879 Posts
ChrisLA, first of all, welcome back to Chicago.

You should try Jefferson Park and North Park. The housing prices are lower and more reasonable, comparing to Lakeview and LP. You oughta try both places. And less guns than in Humboldt Park.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^
Thanks this is what I need, good freeback, I will search those areas as well. I have a nice down payment, and I'm sure some agents will wonder why I looking at something lower. I just want to keep the mortgage low so I can afford to go to school, and also live in something comparable to what I have in the LA area.

ps: I don't want to live out in the burbs if I can help it. My cousins are already telling me how I can get a nice condo between $160,000 to $200,000 easily near they home. I sure hope this isn't the case, it one of the reasons I'm moving from LA as well. I don't want to move to the burbs here, and I figure I can afford to live in the city of Chicago, as oppose to the expensive market in LA.

·
Registered
721 Posts
ChrisLA said:
Hyde Park isn't out of the question, I just have a issue with public transportation in the area. I no its serviced by Metra, and CTA Express Bus, I just wish it was serviced by the El.

I was going to ask about Rogers Park, so its pretty dead. I don't have to have night clubs all around me since thats not my thing. So other street life is dead, no cafes, or Starbucks (lol) ?

I had asked the real estate agent about Humbolt Park, and her response was it she felt very safe there. I wanted to get the scoop truly from the locals, because I know many agents will say anything to get you interested in buying.

Here is a great thing to jump onto to find out how crime is in each neighborhood. It is an online database:

Citizen ICAM:

http://12.17.79.6/

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your in between 2 major intersections, Division and North avenue, and from the address it sounds like it's right next to the park. The Whole Foods you talk about is in Lincoln Park on north avenue, not to far from Humboldt, but about 2 or 3 miles east.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Chrisla please don't listen to the pansies who want to deter you from coming to Humboldt Park, seeing that the area in a few years will probably gentrify due to the proximity of Logan Square and Bucktown you might even make a good investment. I'm not going to lie to you, the area is still patrolled by various gangs and junkies, but seeing that you come from experience this shouldn't really be a problem. Still I have always felt very safe in my neighborhood, and the hot boriquas are always a plus!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NWside said:
Chrisla please don't listen to the pansies who want to deter you from coming to Humboldt Park, seeing that the area in a few years will probably gentrify due to the proximity of Logan Square and Bucktown you might even make a good investment. I'm not going to lie to you, the area is still patrolled by various gangs and junkies, but seeing that you come from experience this shouldn't really be a problem. Still I have always felt very safe in my neighborhood, and the hot boriquas are always a plus!
You live in Humboldt Park?
I currently live in an area downtown Long Beach (west village some say west gateway) thats quickly gentrifying, and there are still are a few rough ones around. In the area I live in you can go three blocks east and there is trendy Pine Avenue, and lofts going for over a million dollars. To the south a few blocks is the waterfront and movie theaters. Its just a block or two behind me thats kind of questionable. Also a few blocks north of me is somewhat bad, but mostly our biggest problem is taggers spray painting our alleys, and back wall of the building. That would be good if the area is quickly changing, I bought here cheap $99,000, and now comparable condos are going between $340,000 to $360,000 in less than 5 years.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Chicago3rd said:

Hyde Park is way cool.

Andersonville you will pay about 275-300 for a decent 2 bedroom flat.
Lakeview and Lincoln Park are higher.
Chicago3rd, why have Rogers Park when you can have Evanston? I realize that technically RP is city and Evanston is suburban (you can't ignore Howard Street...even if you want to). But today's Evanston is totally compatable to a where-to-live discussion for someone looking for the right urban setting. Evanston, in many ways, shares more in common with lakefront neighborhoods to the south (Lakeview, Lincoln Pk) than it does to North Shore suburbs (i.e. Glencoe, Highland Pk) to the north.

·
Registered
721 Posts
NWside said:
I gave him a resource to check places out. You gave personal attacks. You can argue and discuss without name calling. Can only assume you like to be abusive and it turns you on.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Chris, Starbucks and the like can be found in Rogers Park, but I'd say mostly on a rather short stretch on Sheridan Road from the Loyola el stop, going north a couple of blocks. Of course, a lot of what is there is due to the Loyola campus, so much of it is student oriented.

·
Registered
721 Posts
edsg25 said:
Chicago3rd, why have Rogers Park when you can have Evanston? I realize that technically RP is city and Evanston is suburban (you can't ignore Howard Street...even if you want to). But today's Evanston is totally compatable to a where-to-live discussion for someone looking for the right urban setting. Evanston, in many ways, shares more in common with lakefront neighborhoods to the south (Lakeview, Lincoln Pk) than it does to North Shore suburbs (i.e. Glencoe, Highland Pk) to the north.
Hell yes to Evanston.

My friend bought just north of Jarvis....and it hasn't been cleaned up yet. Still problems there...but it is changing. Need to get rid....disperse the public housing up there....I think all districts should have equal Section 8 and public housing.

Shit yeah to Evanston.....I want to live in the highrise with the borders..facing south....but only in my dreams.

·
Registered
721 Posts
edsg25 said:
Chris, Starbucks and the like can be found in Rogers Park, but I'd say mostly on a rather short stretch on Sheridan Road from the Loyola el stop, going north a couple of blocks. Of course, a lot of what is there is due to the Loyola campus, so much of it is student oriented.
There are parts of Rogers Park...over by Clark Street...love that area of Chicago...that is very very vibrant and mixed neighborhood.

But along the Red Line and Sheridan....by the lake...it is mostly residential and lots of Senior Citizen homes.

I say visit places when you get here. Look at the pricing and look at the crime levels. We are all comfortable at different levels. Stay open minded.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Chicago3rd said:
I gave him a resource to check places out. You gave personal attacks. You can argue and discuss without name calling. Can only assume you like to be abusive and it turns you on.
No it turns me off when people make stupid assumptions.

·
Registered
454 Posts
ChrisLA said:
You live in Humboldt Park?
I currently live in an area downtown Long Beach (west village some say west gateway) thats quickly gentrifying, and there are still are a few rough ones around. In the area I live in you can go three blocks east and there is trendy Pine Avenue, and lofts going for over a million dollars. To the south a few blocks is the waterfront and movie theaters. Its just a block or two behind me thats kind of questionable. Also a few blocks north of me is somewhat bad, but mostly our biggest problem is taggers spray painting our alleys, and back wall of the building. That would be good if the area is quickly changing, I bought here cheap $99,000, and now comparable condos are going between $340,000 to $360,000 in less than 5 years.
The block to block area of questionable activity you described is the exact same scenario in Chicago, especially in Humboldt and Logan, but out of my pure bias the advantage of living next to the park is great. My best advice would be to buy a cheap ATA flight and check the area out, outside that I recommend the neighborhood for you. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
721 Posts
NWside said:
No it turns me off when people make stupid assumptions.
I looked it up.

232 crimes in the last two weeks here is the personal:

Mozart & Division

91 PERSON

42 BATTERY
17 ASSAULT
9 ROBBERY
6 WEAPONS VIOLATION
4 OTHER CRIMINAL OFFENSES
1 INTIMIDATION
7 TELEPHONE THREATS
1 RECKLESS CONDUCT
3 HARASSMENT BY TELEPHONE
1 RESIST/OBSTRUCT PEACE OFFICER

Foster & Western my neighborhood (79 total)...here is the personal:

25 PERSON

3 RECKLESS CONDUCT
7 ASSAULT
9 BATTERY
1 SEX OFFENSE
1 TELEPHONE THREATS
1 ATTEMPT ROBBERY

Your ignorance is the biased. I factually backed up my concerns...now you do the same. And stop with the personal attacks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Chicago3rd said:
I looked it up.

232 crimes in the last two weeks here is the personal:

Mozart & Division

91 PERSON

42 BATTERY
17 ASSAULT
9 ROBBERY
6 WEAPONS VIOLATION
4 OTHER CRIMINAL OFFENSES
1 INTIMIDATION
7 TELEPHONE THREATS
1 RECKLESS CONDUCT
1 RESIST/OBSTRUCT PEACE OFFICER

Foster & Western my neighborhood (79 total)...here is the personal:

25 PERSON

3 RECKLESS CONDUCT
7 ASSAULT
9 BATTERY
1 SEX OFFENSE
1 TELEPHONE THREATS
1 ATTEMPT ROBBERY

Your ignorance is the biased. I factually backed up my concerns...now you do the same. And stop with the personal attacks.
Seriously it's a few people on this forum who constantly see a neighborhood that's not Lincoln Park, Lake View or the Gold Coast and are instantly turned off by it, like I mentioned to Chris the area is dicey in some areas, but should it be automatically avoided? And as for your crime stats I actually grew up on Mozart and Division, and the only Place I was actually vandalized was in Streeterville where I was mugged. Crime can happen anywhere, but lets face it, if your white and have a family the chances of finding yourself in HB are slim to none.
Also goonsta has taken some great shots of Humboldt park and Logan square, so you can view those on his website.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Humbold Park is mad getto from what i remember with gangs hanging out oal over the place. and be carfull were in hyde park you buy a condo becouse your ver colse to some pretty rough neighborhoods and if you walk only a few blocks on the wrong direction your in trouble. you can find much nicer areas for that price. id say edgewater is prob a much better bet , its within your price range, its close to the el , crime isent as bad etc.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts