Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Yes We Can !
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
high guys!

i am new to this subforum. My name: Julito-dubai. Normally you can find me in that forum, but from next year i will live in liverpool. actually i got an offer from penny lane. Just as a question from somebody who lives in the area. Does it get annoying with all the Beatles tourist there or is it bearable ?:cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went to school round there at Liverpool College, and I don't think it's that bad. You will often see a "Magical Mystery Tour" bus with a few tourists taking pictures of the Penny Lane street sign, but that's it. Nothing too intrusive for any residents.

·
Registered
13,977 Posts
i live a stones throw away from Penny Lane and it's not that noticeable at all to be honest. It's a residential street with a pub at one end, a student halls of residence at the other, a wine bar in the middle and a field running along its length.

Not too touristy at all.

Hope you join us soon!

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
high guys!

i am new to this subforum. My name: Julito-dubai. Normally you can find me in that forum, but from next year i will live in liverpool. actually i got an offer from penny lane. Just as a question from somebody who lives in the area. Does it get annoying with all the Beatles tourist there or is it bearable ?:cheers:

Hope you enjoy your time in Liverpool jilito.

I for one find the Beatles tourists are great.. it is the silly regurgitation by the major agencies who have no other ideas, especially original ones, that hark on and on about using the beatles that gets me down.....

Just think.. as massive as they where, they are further away in time from todays kids than Rudolph Valentino was from me when I was a nipper!

We have Cilla Black advertising death policies for those of that generation now.. thats how far way it all was.

I have said before that if we carry on with these silly obsessions with the past then the Beatles will prove to have been Liverpool's swan song, in the realms of the city doing anyting of international worth.. we simply must start doing such things again.... or we are dead!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Personally I'm sick to death of hearing about the Beatles. Liverpool has things that were far more important than them. But I suppose tourists prefer pop-stars to grimey old docks.

I lived right by Penny Lane for a year, and tourists were never a problem. The local groups of 'youths' (scallies...) were more of an inconvenience. On the whole, a nice area though.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hope you enjoy your time in Liverpool jilito.

I for one find the Beatles tourists are great.. it is the silly regurgitation by the major agencies who have no other ideas, especially original ones, that hark on and on about using the beatles that gets me down.....
Just think.. as massive as they where, they are further away in time from todays kids than Rudolph Valentino was from me when I was a nipper!

We have Cilla Black advertising death policies for those of that generation now.. thats how far way it all was.

I have said before that if we carry on with these silly obsessions with the past then the Beatles will prove to have been Liverpool's swan song, in the realms of the city doing anyting of international worth.. we simply must start doing such things again.... or we are dead!
Like it or not the Beatles ( along with LFC) are probably the most famous connections the outside world has with Liverpool.
I agree we must move forward but it would be crazy not to cash in on them.

Re your comments about Valentino,very true but who thinks about him nowadays?
How many Japanese tourists visit his birthplace?

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I agree Kung.. but there is a difference between cashing in, which we do not do very well, and obsessing as if they where the only good thing thst the city has/had.. the Valentino comparisson shows what I mean.. when I was a kid he was still regularly talked about....but now?... he was a fantastic artist and as important to his generation and after as the beatles where to theirs and still are to an extent.. this will decline as the decades pass.... as with Valentino (which was my point).. who talks of him now, as you say!

They will always be great but they won't be something you can hang your whole tourist (and identity) trade on.. we have to move on. a city that does not evolve is dead.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Without THE BEATLES, Liverpool would be a port and a "not that great" city with a good football team.
Who in the world would hear about Penny Lane? Menlove Av.? Forthlin Road?
Speke? The Cavern...???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts