SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
vagamundo
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm planning to move to Liverpool this summer (since 8th July till the end of August) and I have a lot of questions about the city, that a scouse may solve me.

My objective is to move to the UK to improve and master my english the best that I could and of course I would need to check out a flat to live in.
But there's my first question: Is there really a difference amonsgt L6-L7 and L3-L1. Obviously, the rental ain't the same and I think that it's due to something, maybe JUST the distance? Or is there any difference else?
I think that I could spend something like 75~85£pw to search for accommodation. With this budget, what zone would be the best that I can afford? Note that, if I can save money because there is not a huge difference between the zones, would be better because I could spend this money in english classes.

Is there any site specialized in rentals in Liverpool?

And just one question else and surely the more difficult because the vast majority of you have never being in the need of one.. Does anybody know a good academy where to study english?
As I've said, my objective is to improve the language all that I could, so if the price is lower I could get more classes with the same budget :)
I think that the classes in the University courses are about 10£ each (that's the price in Bristol at least) and I think that I could find something about 7£ if I seek it in a "neighborhood academy" with a more familiar environment.

I realize that I've made lots of questions, some of them difficult to ask, so excuse me if I'm asking too much and thanks in advance.
All the help would be welcome.

Cheers :wink2:

·
Let the Jam decide
2,172 Posts
Hi Weird, L1 - L3 are areas in town so you pay higher rents, these tend to be purpose built flats and conversions. If you are new to Liverpool this might be better for you, as its convenient for everything and you can get public transport to other parts of the city to. L6 and L7 are mixed areas, and you might find difficult if you dont know the area or a new to Liverpool.

Where are you coming from?

·
vagamundo
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^

Thanks Scarecrow.
I'm gonna seach in this sites too and the Community College ;)

Hi Weird, L1 - L3 are areas in town so you pay higher rents, these tend to be purpose built flats and conversions. If you are new to Liverpool this might be better for you, as its convenient for everything and you can get public transport to other parts of the city to. L6 and L7 are mixed areas, and you might find difficult if you dont know the area or a new to Liverpool.

Where are you coming from?
Hey ;)
I'm coming from Madrid so surely the spread of the city won't be a total problem (well, it's better if everything is within a stone's throw, right? :D).
Are L6-L7 mixed areas with pubs, markets and all that stuff, or should I need to move within the downtown to get primary things?
Is it possible to move from L6-L7 to L1 on foot or should I require a bus?
How much does it cost the bus ride?

From what I've seen, rentals in L1 are about 340£pm and in L6-L7 around 275£pm (but the rooms are bigger because mostly are houses and not flats).
I would follow your advice and stick to L1 and L3 firstly and if I can't get something okay I would go for L6 to L7 :)

PS: Damn, I've read the whole post and I'm asking too much. Sorry for this overload of info :lol:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
:eek:hno: He's obviously moving here because of Arteta.

weird- L6 & L7 are a short bus ride from the city centre. It's probably a couple of pound each way these days or you can buy a pass to save money.

They're both mostly residential areas but yes there are some pubs and shops, L7's main amenities are along Kensington and L6's would be Breck Road. There was a Kensington market but I've got no idea if it's still going or not and in any case I'd imagine it's not the type of nice local food market you are used to over on the continent :lol:

If you can afford it I would live in the city centre over either of these areas. Out of the two I would generally pick L7 over L6 (that could change depending on which specific parts though obviously)

·
Ffestiniog
817 Posts
L1 would definitely be better for you; it will be safer and more enjoyable. You might as well pay the extra money and have a better experience, and also, you will only end up paying the difference on bus fares, etc. if you stay in a more outlying area.

·
vagamundo
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek:hno: He's obviously moving here because of Arteta.

Actually I'm a Real fan but I don't hate Torres :D

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I'm gonna search firstly L1 or L3, then L7 and finally L6.
You've been so helpful.

One more question.. is necessary to wear shoes to go out at night in Liverpool? I mean, is there any restriction to access a club if you are wearing sneakers?

·
Registered
252 Posts
^Most clubs aren't really that fussed if your in trainers, occasionally you can get knocked back though if there busy or just don't like the look of you, never really have any problems if I wear trainers though etc

·
vagamundo
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man. That's a nice notice, because I don't have any problem if I need to wear shoes but I prefer to wear my sneakers cuz I feel much more comfortable. I wear something like in this line:

I think that there's no problem, cuz they are almost black and not too "running style" (don't know how to explain it :))

Well, so I've just bought my flight in 8th July. I'm gonna spend five days in a youth hostel to search for accommodation and then I'm gonna move to my own room in a shared flat.
I prefer a youth hostel because it's easier to socialize and that's what I need, hours of conversation, so I think it would be a nice option. Maybe I would need to share my room with a greasy and annoying guy buuuuuuut I'm not hoping so :lol:
I've looked for some flats in the links that Scarecrow gave me (thanks again ;)) so I hope to get a room in five days.

Well, if I have any question I would ask you again.. and thanks again for being so demanding and help me in all those question that for you are easier to figure out and for me are impossible to get. :wink2:

·
vagamundo
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know if Garlands is awful or not, but I've checked their website and doesn't look bad at all :D

How can I move from John Lennon Airport to the city centre? Is there any regular bus line or should I take a taxi?
Maybe is there a train?

I've already booked the youth hostel too :)

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
I wouldn't take a taxi if you can avoid it. Not that there's anything wrong with the taxi's in the city, just that it might end up a being a bit expensive as the airport is around 7 miles from the city centre.

With regard to buses, the Arriva Airlink 500 is probably your best bet. It runs between the airport and the city centre every 30 minutes everyday at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour between 6:45am and 11:45pm.

Other bus routes that either start at the airport and end in the city centre, or start elsewhere, stop at the airport and then go onto the city centre include the Arriva 80A, 82A, and 86A.

The airport does not have a train station on-site, but there is one nearby called Liverpool South Parkway where you can catch a train into the city centre. Some of the buses listed above stop here, as does the Supertravel 886, however you may well find it easier to just get the bus direct to the city centre, rather than having to get a bus and a train.

The final destination in the city centre varies by which bus you take, but most stop at either Lime Street or the Paradise Street Interchange. Liverpool city centre is relatively compact, so it shouldn't be too much of a walk from wherever you get off, to the hostel.

Hope that helps. :)

·
vagamundo
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It helps, and so much, thanks ChrisB. So I'm gonna look for those routes and select the best for my hostel.

Thank you for all the help that you gave me, you have been so helpful and I already have all that I need to my stay in Liverpool. I will tell you if I like it (I will :D) and all that stuff in return for the help :tongue2:

:cheers:

·
Registered
16,286 Posts

·
vagamundo
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't know where to post this question, and I don't want to start a new thread because I think that it does not worth it so..
Is there any possibility to watch TV Online? Any program or something similar? I am using Ubuntu, so if you know something for Ubuntu would be better. If not, I would see how I make it works :D
My new house is supposed to have TV but not since the first day, and I think that TV could help me to improve my language skills so would be nice to have an option to watch it.

Thanks!

·
likes beer
Cosmic chimp
12,733 Posts
Don't know where to post this question, and I don't want to start a new thread because I think that it does not worth it so..
Is there any possibility to watch TV Online? Any program or something similar? I am using Ubuntu, so if you know something for Ubuntu would be better. If not, I would see how I make it works :D
My new house is supposed to have TV but not since the first day, and I think that TV could help me to improve my language skills so would be nice to have an option to watch it.

Thanks!
Its possible to watch the content of some of the main channels online, after the shows have been broadcast

BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

ITV1, ITV2 etc..

http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/

Channel 4 etc..

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/

Channel 5

http://demand.five.tv/

I think they all use Flash, so they should work on Ubuntu Linux.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts