Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
King of Bernicia
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm possibly counting my chickens a bit early but I might be moving from the north east to London for work in the next few months.
I have very little experience with that city, I've spent maybe a week of my life there at most.
The place where all being well I'm hoping to be working is not far from the British Museum. So of course living a reasonable distance from work is outside of my price range.
Any advice on semi-affordable, quasi-convenient and non-stabby areas of the city where I should be looking for housing?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
It may be worth looking at bus routes - for Example the Number 8 bus goes from the British Museum eastwardly through Shoreditch but onto more afforable areas like Stratford & Bow.

You'll be working very centrally so perhaps you could look along the northern line - places like Oval and Elephant and Castle can also be affordable if you get lucky!

It may well be worth looking at a house share whilst you get used to the city - it'll allow you to live in a more central area.

Any other questions - feel free to post! it can be a daunting time - but I'm sure you'll never look back once you arrive.

·
Ho hum
2,985 Posts
Look east for cheapest. South along the northern line next. House-share.

Do you know anyone in London already ?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
This is useful for finding out what rents you can expect to be paying in each postcode (of course add Rightmove/Zoopla/FindaProperty into the mix too): http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/housing-land/renting-home/rents-map

These sites are out dated, especially the first one, but the info is still useful on areas characters: livinginlondon.net stuckinlondon.com

The British Museum is within easy walking distance of Northern, Central, Piccadilly and not even too far from Victoria, Bakerloo, Hammersmith and City, Circle. So you've got a massive range of options, plus you can always switch lines.

East London like East Ham is cheap and has all the stuff you need from a high street (supermarkets, Argos, Costa coffee, currys, etc). North-East like Walthamstow might be a good option too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts