Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Great site, my wife and I have lurked it for a while picking up tips on Pitt and surrounding cities. We are in the process of relocating from the Big Easy to Pittsburgh. We are originally from Upstate NY, (been in NO for 7 years), and are moving to Pitt basically because it's closer to home while still being affordable. After seven years of living in the shadow of the French Quarter, urban living is where it is at for us. Also we have some extended fam that live in Pitt. We've visited twice and are very impressed with Pittsburgh. We looked at houses all over the city and really liked Squirrel Hill. One neighborhood that we missed and I was wondering if anyone has input on is Lawrenceville. It seems like it might have a funkier edge that resembles "artsy" parts of New Orleans. And it seems like you can get in a fair amount cheaper than SH or Shadyside. We also looked at the South Side, but it really felt like you were buying in at the apex. We're subletting a place on Wightman for June and July just to get a "feet on the ground" look before buying. The impressions I got from web research is that Lawrenceville looks fairly safe below around 50th street. We don't need pristine, I just don't want open narcotics and the like on the corner. (First baby on the way, so that changes your perspective a bit.) Any advice or input is helpful. And if there are any Pittsburgh rugby players out there I look forward to putting boots on with/against you soon. Over a pint I could tell you an unreal story of New Orleans rugby putting it together this spring for a great playoff run. Half the guys living in trailers, that kind of thing.....Cheers and thanks again for a great forum.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
id say go for squirrel hill or shady side, both those places are very nce and you can find cheap. lawrencvill is kinda ghetto so i would not recomend that

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
Lawrenceville is not ghetto. It is as you described, a funky arty neighborhood. It has been attracting a lot of artists in recent years who love its historic rowhouses. It also has a very large business district filled with interesting interior design stores, art galleries, coffee shops and restaurants. Lawrenceville is a hot spot for relocation and its property values are increasing rapidly, but it still retains its authenticity. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city and will be one of my first places to look whenever I get to move to Pittsburgh.

Here are some pictures of Lawrenceville.

new lofts

i love this coffee shop

·
Suspended
733 Posts
Lawrenceville is not ghetto. It is very dense and urban, similar to what you might find in Philly or Baltimore. Most of the housing is brick rowhomes, so if you are a row hater, it's probably not for you. Shadyside is expensive, and Squirrel Hill is not cheap either.

Here is a thread I did on Lawrenceville a few months back.

Lawrenceville

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input and pics. I've seen your Lawrenceville thread as well as the pics from both of you. Fantastic job. I'm definitely going to be scoping out Lawrenceville over the next two months. Dense is good. And I know that what some see as ghetto, some see as vibrant. Not right or wrong, just different. Some of the best and most happening areas of NO are blocks away from total war zones. Thanks again for a great site and truly awesome pics. I had heard so much negative about Pitt but absoutely loved it during two trips. Your pics reflect that. As a fellow camera buff I'm very impressed. When I can finaly get this move settled I'll post some good ones of the Big Easy. Pre and post Katrina. (Even have some of a helicopter downed in the middle of town.)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have to ask because.... it's just the way I am. Where in Upstate NY are you originaly from?

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
squirrel hill seemed like a pretty expensive neighborhood. pittsburgh is too awesome of a city and i'm sure you will enjoy it,

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Cool. Where in Rochester? (I'm not a stalker I promise. lol)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't know what you're looking to spend, but with a kid i would suggest living in a neighborhood within walking distance to the bigger parks. Regent Square (park side city section), Park Place, Highland Park and Squirrel Hill are probably the most "kid friendly" hoods in Pittsburgh's East End. If what your looking for is the most house for the $$ you should check out Brighton Heights and Observatory Hill in the City's North Side. Both are nice places but don't have the transit links and "Yuppie" cache of the eastern neighborhoods.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have only been through Lawrenceville and it gave me the creeps........

I would reccomend Squirrel Hill, definitely....and perhaps Regent Square. I love Sq Hill though so that would be my top pick.

·
Suspended
733 Posts
Goldie84 said:
I have only been through Lawrenceville and it gave me the creeps........

I would reccomend Squirrel Hill, definitely....and perhaps Regent Square. I love Sq Hill though so that would be my top pick.
It's amazing how some folks are so intimidated by dense urban neighborhoods. Lawrenceville is physically similar to the Hill (in much better shape though), and parts of the North Side, so in the minds of some, it must be a horrible place to live. Rowhouses and such. "Yuck! How could anyone live like that? Almost as bad as living in New York."

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
herodotus said:
It's amazing how some folks are so intimidated by dense urban neighborhoods. Lawrenceville is physically similar to the Hill (in much better shape though), and parts of the North Side, so in the minds of some, it must be a horrible place to live. Rowhouses and such. "Yuck! How could anyone live like that? Almost as bad as living in New York."
When you live in a society where personal parking lots and strict seperation of uses has been de rigeur for 50 years, an authentic urban environment can seem strange and awful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Troy Hill is safe little enclave with awesome views of downtown. If you're willing to be a pioneer, you could pick up a row house in need of work for $25K with million dollar city views. Troy Hill is a sleeper - watch for it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VictoryDev said:
Troy Hill is safe little enclave with awesome views of downtown. If you're willing to be a pioneer, you could pick up a row house in need of work for $25K with million dollar city views. Troy Hill is a sleeper - watch for it!
It's interesting you say that. During my visits I never got farther into the Northside than MWS. But some internet research had me intrigued about Brighton Heights and Troy Hill. Brighton Heights looks nice. Anything you know about it is helpful. Thanks for responding and thanks for the heads up on Troy Hill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Brighton Heights is a nice, stable, fairly safe, middle class neighborhood where you can often find a lot of house for the money. The only real disadvantages would be that it's kind of removed from the younger pulse of the city and not as well linked to transit as the East End.

From an "insiders" POV, outside of the established and expensive hood's of Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Point Breeze, etc..., look for these to be the new growth areas in the city for single family home buyers:

*Regent Square is the new Squirrell Hill, but it's also getting pricey.

*The fringes of Highland Park near East Liberty

*Morningside, which is becoming a hot spot for younger couples and families who can't afford other low crime East End neighborhoods.

*Fineview should take off once the public housing is removed.

*Troy Hill is cheap, cheap, cheap and has great views.

*Lawrenceville flats. If it holds L'ville could become the new South Side, only without all of the bars.

Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts