SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably in November I will be having to move out of NY and TX looks like the best option. I have been to San Antonio once. haha

What would one expect to pay for rent in a decent 'hood?

Where might those hoods be? I was told to stay north of 410?

Appreciate any info. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
How are you thinking of spending a month, buying or renting? Some of the nicest places in San Antonio are within 410 but they are pretty expensive. Pretty, much everything north, central, and west are safe "hoods".

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are you thinking of spending a month, buying or renting? Some of the nicest places in San Antonio are within 410 but they are pretty expensive. Pretty, much everything north, central, and west are safe "hoods".

For the time being renting would be my way to go. I didn't get the impression when i was there that it wasn't a safe city. But I didn't venture away from downtown at night. I believe the conceal carry laws would make everyone question robbing someone. haha

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Parts of the east side have some safety issues. The area north of 410 between 281 and 151 is a pretty good place to begin your search. A lot of the new stuff is north of 1604 is really nice but the traffic is horrendous.

Will you be moving here looking for employment or will you be transferring?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Parts of the east side have some safety issues. The area north of 410 between 281 and 151 is a pretty good place to begin your search. A lot of the new stuff is north of 1604 is really nice but the traffic is horrendous.

Will you be moving here looking for employment or will you be transferring?
In november I will have my Physical Therapist Assistant license. So it will be a new job to me but through agencies they pretty much cover all moving expenses and stuff.

I am pretty much counting on $45k to 55k a year there. My friend said that should be pretty decent to get by on there. I just like more info and I know people on here know cities. haha

·
Registered
598 Posts
What kind of lifestyle do you want to live?

The areas that seem to be growing a lot or are decent enough to live in are La Cantera area, Stone Oak area, Alamo Ranch, River North and Midtown, Southtown, and inside 410 like Alamo Heights.

Some of these areas are expensive, like Alamo Heights. Stone Oak can be pricey too. The closer you are to La Cantera and the Dominion, the more expensive, aside from that the northwest side has some affordable areas. Some are very suburban, like Alamo Ranch.

It depends on what you want. If you don't want tons of single family homes and chains, then avoid Alamo Ranch. If you don't want to live near downtown or in a more urban environment, then don't look at River North or Southtown.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a country boy by nature. I guess if I had my preference I would like to live close enough to the outskirts where i could get away from the city for a while.

I appreciate the info though really because they don't tell me these things when talking to the agencies because they have no idea.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I am pretty adaptable, Not one of them NYC types. But before i move I am going to visit.
Take a drive up to Austin while you are nearby. Austin is incredible, very vibrant and seems to have a lot going for it and great growth. No that San Antonio does not have these things as well, but since it is only a short drive away it would be worth visiting while you are down.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts