Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Cool! Definitely doesn't come off as a typical bland government building. It may not seem like it, but to me it looks to be a sign that the city it wanting to become something more. More recognizable, more worth seeing, more unique. There seems to be much more thoughtfulness in this and is a compliment on some of the nicer residential projects we're seeing going up, which are hot right now. I was bracing for something much less impressive, including height!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Cool! Definitely doesn't come off as a typical bland government building. It may not seem like it, but to me it looks to be a sign that the city it wanting to become something more. More recognizable, more worth seeing, more unique. There seems to be much more thoughtfulness in this and is a compliment on some of the nicer residential projects we're seeing going up, which are hot right now. I was bracing for something much less impressive, including height!
Agree 100%........sure puts the Thrivant Building to shame

·
MillerTime
229 Posts
Wow, this looks exceptional for a government building. This will make the plaza in front of the Hennepin County Government Center much more attractive and inviting. Now if only something can be done with the Hennepin County Public Safety building.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I agree the jail is awful but I don't think the taxpayers would very much like paying for an expensive good looking well designed stand alone jail. That's probably why you don't see them.

In regards to the new building. I think it's rather playful in design. In that playfulness I kind of see a nod (with the opening/s) toward the Government Center which it doesn't really need to since they aren't related so I wish they had also made a nod to City Hall and I was thinking a little copper and even more so perhaps a little green copper pyramid on the top corner. I know, CRAZY. Or even another little clock like tower but instead of a clock one that displays the temp.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Exciting! The pedestrian entryway is what I want to see more of in these new buildings.

Along with a great building, I am excited about this statement in the article.

Ruff added that moving roughly 1,300 city employees to the new building will allow the city to sell 309 Second Ave. S. and 250 S. Fourth St. Such a sale, likely several years off, could generate millions of dollars for the city.
Here is the location they are talking about. Could be a future tower here!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I agree the jail is awful but I don't think the taxpayers would very much like paying for an expensive good looking well designed stand alone jail. That's probably why you don't see them.

In regards to the new building. I think it's rather playful in design. In that playfulness I kind of see a nod (with the opening/s) toward the Government Center which it doesn't really need to since they aren't related so I wish they had also made a nod to City Hall and I was thinking a little copper and even more so perhaps a little green copper pyramid on the top corner. I know, CRAZY. Or even another little clock like tower but instead of a clock one that displays the temp.
there are court and admin functions in there as well, it's not only a jail. it's serviceable and forgettable. I suppose that's what you want in facility of that type.

·
Registered
158 Posts
^^So what are you saying....10 story buildings all over Downtown? Non the less a Nice looking building but this wouldn't happen if it wasn't across from City (Silly) Hall.
This is a weird comment, but sure. Believe it or not most people don't really care about how tall a building is. That is beside the point I was making though. The city, with this building, is showing private developers what a high quality mid rise building can look like.

·
Working the OT
804 Posts
Congrats to all those employees getting natural light and fresh air. those of us still waiting in the subbasement of city hall for our "remodel" that was put on hold will continue to deal with random HVAC thats several days behind the outside weather, that turns on and off whenever it wants to. High temps on the weekends and all the other fun that comes with working in the subbasement.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts