SkyscraperCity banner

7621 - 7634 of 7634 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
^^ Actually it's pretty well placed to be able to serve the high 600s of Yew Tee with a pedestrian walkway across the Pang Sua canal.

Given 979's roundabout route this may be a better solution, allowing 979 to focus on the southern half of Yew Tee.

The 5-track station appears to be 1 stop north of Sungei Kadut.

And I can frankly tell you that at this point, you're highly unlikely to see both lines go to Woodlands North - that would provide too much capacity, and at what cost? Woodlands residents shouldn't be taking the DTL anyway, they should be taking the TEL to town, or bus services if they want to get to the Bukit Timah area.

Plus, if you're still concerned at that point, and if ridership justifies it (hint: right now, the answer is no), it may be time for LTA to start seriously thinking about expansion of DTL stations into buffer areas to handle longer trains (not necessarily 4 cars of 23m)
It would be very expensive and challenging though, especially since all the stations are underground.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Exactly. So we stop talking about any possible future extensions beyond Sungei Kadut (and Sungei Bedok), let the thing sit for a while, and hope we don't reach that point where push comes to shove.

But seriously tell me, if your concern is the JBRTS, will there be a significant amount of people taking DTL to town from the RTS, when it's probably as fast or even faster to stay on the TEL and change at Stevens, or walk directly from a TEL station?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Exactly. So we stop talking about any possible future extensions beyond Sungei Kadut (and Sungei Bedok), let the thing sit for a while, and hope we don't reach that point where push comes to shove.

But seriously tell me, if your concern is the JBRTS, will there be a significant amount of people taking DTL to town from the RTS, when it's probably as fast or even faster to stay on the TEL and change at Stevens, or walk directly from a TEL station?
I agree with what you said luacstjh98. DTL extension should just end at Sungei Kadut or at most to most 1 station north of Sungei Kadut where DTL and other future lines can interchange. I am not a fan of DTL extending to Woodlands North or whatsoever. Any further extensions will overload the DTL trains. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with what you said luacstjh98. DTL extension should just end at Sungei Kadut or at most to most 1 station north of Sungei Kadut where DTL and other future lines can interchange. I am not a fan of DTL extending to Woodlands North or whatsoever. Any further extensions will overload the DTL trains. :eek:hno:
Trivia time: if it does end up terminating at Sungei Kadut, we'd have a line that runs from one Sungei __ to another Sungei __ (Sungei Kadut - Sungei Bedok). How cool would that be :) The DTL would become the first MRT line in the network to have similarly-named termini. If they do extend it by one more station, the northern terminus would likely be called Sungei Kadut North, but it doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Trivia time: if it does end up terminating at Sungei Kadut, we'd have a line that runs from one Sungei __ to another Sungei __ (Sungei Kadut - Sungei Bedok). How cool would that be :) The DTL would become the first MRT line in the network to have similarly-named termini. If they do extend it by one more station, the northern terminus would likely be called Sungei Kadut North, but it doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
Instead of downtown line, call it the sungei line. :nuts:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I took a photo of the board above this. The blue line depicts the cross section area.
Now this graphic is interesting, because it tentatively confirms that the 5-tracked underground interchange will be located one station ahead of Sungei Kadut's NSL/DTL station. We know it will be one station ahead because of this graphic:

It looks like the interchange station will be located either at or near the coordinates 1.431726, 103.746888, where there currently lies an empty patch of land adjacent to the eastern shore of the Kranji Reservoir. I think it's already a given that this will be the terminus for both DTL2 and northern coastal portion of the LTMP 2040 Seletar line.

Any tentative names, guys? Considering the proximity of the station to the water, I think Kranji Reservoir seems apt - at least that's better than having another boring "north" tacked on to a preexisting station's name ("Sungei Kadut North"). But then Kranji Reservoir is unimaginative, and it's too large an area to associated with a single MRT station on its eastern periphery. A more realistic option might be Kranji Village, based on the theme of the upcoming developments in the area ("Emergent Village"). "Village" establishes a regional identity for the area (like Holland Village). So either Reservoir/Village, or perhaps even Wetlands.

·
Registered
249 Posts
well, i believe it could be Sungei Buloh MRT station that serves as the terminus for both Downtown Line (DTL2e) and future North Coast & Seletar Line.

·
Registered
101 Posts
well, i believe it could be Sungei Buloh MRT station that serves as the terminus for both Downtown Line (DTL2e) and future North Coast & Seletar Line.
Pardon my french, but that name would be FREAKING AWESOME. It's better than anything else I've proposed.

"The Downtown Line runs from Sungei Buloh in the north to Sungei Bedok in the east."

I like the sound of that.

+

Sungei Buloh - Sungei Kadut - Gali Batu: three awesome Malay names in a row, and two Sungeis in a row, too, just like our twin Bukits (Bukit Batok and Bukit Gombak). The traditionalist and aesthete in me approves.

LTA, you listening?

·
5,132 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
^^ I'm not sure whether that really changes anything. Perhaps the STDP area to the north could include the DTL terminal station?

Although I'd say that anything you see at this point can still be changed, given that DTL2e should still be under internal feasibility study; whether they've moved on to a preliminary engineering study is debatable.

·
5,132 Posts
MRT Downtown Line (Extensions & Additions)

^^ I'm not sure whether that really changes anything. Perhaps the STDP area to the north could include the DTL terminal station?

Although I'd say that anything you see at this point can still be changed, given that DTL2e should still be under internal feasibility study; whether they've moved on to a preliminary engineering study is debatable.

Basically it just means that everything north of Sungei Kadut Stn relating to MRT lines and stations probably has not even been considered.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The contract C9175 - Advance Engineering Study for the Proposed Downtown Line 2 Extension and a New Station on Existing North-South Line has open up for tender.

7621 - 7634 of 7634 Posts