Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2029 Posts

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunno if this is supposed to be the pleasant surprise, but I know liao leh...:D

East-West MRT line to be extended to Jurong Industrial Estate

SINGAPORE : Those working in the Jurong Industrial Estate will eventually be able to take the MRT to work. The Government says it is planning to extend the East-West Line to the industrial estates in the western part of the island. So far there are no details on where the stations will be. The aim is to ease congestion at Boon Lay MRT station and cut travel time for workers in the Jurong and Tuas industrial estates.

As for train and bus fares, Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong announced that the formula used by the Public Transport Council to set fares will be re-looked. "The Review Committee will study and propose improvements to the framework for the annual fare review exercise, including the CPI+X formula," Mr Yeo told Parliament. - CNA

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Originally posted by huaiwei

Dunno if this is supposed to be the pleasant surprise, but I know liao leh...:D

East-West MRT line to be extended to Jurong Industrial Estate

SINGAPORE : Those working in the Jurong Industrial Estate will eventually be able to take the MRT to work. The Government says it is planning to extend the East-West Line to the industrial estates in the western part of the island. So far there are no details on where the stations will be. The aim is to ease congestion at Boon Lay MRT station and cut travel time for workers in the Jurong and Tuas industrial estates.

As for train and bus fares, Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong announced that the formula used by the Public Transport Council to set fares will be re-looked. "The Review Committee will study and propose improvements to the framework for the annual fare review exercise, including the CPI+X formula," Mr Yeo told Parliament. - CNA
This was brought up last year. expected an answer this year. was expecting more... Why nobody talk about the line between AMK and Hougang? :bleep: then next year will get an ans. :D

how much will be extended? will it reach the 2nd link? quite unlikely. take train to 2nd link then how 2 go to M'sia after that?

·
May the Force Be With You
2,610 Posts
Originally posted by kenmin

This was brought up last year. expected an answer this year. was expecting more... Why nobody talk about the line between AMK and Hougang? :bleep: then next year will get an ans. :D

how much will be extended? will it reach the 2nd link? quite unlikely. take train to 2nd link then how 2 go to M'sia after that?
Good. It is a guess game for us - figuring the next stations to be located.

My prediction

1) a station either along Jurong West St 63.
or near upper Jurong Road due to the location of new Jurong West Sport Complex at Jurong West St 93 / Pioneer Road North
2) a possible station near SAFTI Mliltary
3) a station along AYE (after the junction of AYE and PIE) with possible bus bays provided for private buses to transport workers to and from factories)
4) a station near Tuas Checkpoint/Raffles Marina, or adjacent to Tuas Bus terminal (may be an interchange with LRT network if this happens in future).

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Finally, MRT is rolling westward - to Tuas

Extension of the East-West Line may be completed in two years; it will improve public transport for those in Jurong West

By Christopher Tan

AFTER years of requests from people living and working at Singapore's west end, the Government is finally building a rail link to the Jurong and Tuas industrial areas.

The extension of the East-West Line, which now stops at Boon Lay, is 'in the final stages of planning', Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong said yesterday.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) added that the extension would also 'enhance the public transport system for residents in Jurong West Town area'. However, The Straits Times understands that the extension would be about 4km, which is shorter than the 6.4km Changi Airport extension that was opened in 2002.

The new line would be above ground, may be completed in two years, and have 'a couple of stations', said a source. It will be operated by SMRT Corp. Mr Yeo said it would reduce heavy congestion at the Boon Lay MRT station and bus interchange.

Beyond this, all other rail lines are still being studied, he said. 'Because of our experience with the NEL system, we are now proceeding very carefully with future rail projects,' he said, referring to the controversial, loss-making North-East Line run by SBS Transit.

Asked for an update of the proposed merger of rail and bus operations between SBS Transit and SMRT, the minister said there have been no proposals.

He reiterated he has not directed the two listed companies to merge their rail operations, but would not stand in their way if they decide to do so. But he said he would be less ready to accept a merger of bus services as the Government still wants competition for buses.

When Mr Chay Wai Chuen (Tanjong Pagar GRC) criticised the 'CPI+X' formula used for bus fare revisions, Mr Yeo was swift to make him head a committee to review the six-year-old system.

CPI is the consumer price index and is an inflation measure. X represents a myriad of components, including operators' cost increases and discounts for productivity. The X factor has long been criticised for 'penalising' an operator for being efficient because it has less grounds for a fare hike than one which has runaway costs.

Nominated MP and former bus operator Ng Ser Miang said any new formula 'must reward a company for being efficient'.

SMRT president Saw Phaik Hwa welcomed the review. 'If there's a good formula, all operators will be encouraged to be more efficient.'

Mr Chay said that although the task was 'unenviable', he would take it on. His Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport would refine this 'blunt' formula within a year, he added.

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
As expected, it won't be extended to 2nd link... but 4km only?! think this can only call it Jurong IE extension... Tuas extension? gotta wait again... haizzzz...

btw, according to LHZB, it will terminate near Joo Koon Road.

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Beyond this, all other rail lines are still being studied, he said. 'Because of our experience with the NEL system, we are now proceeding very carefully with future rail projects,' he said, referring to the controversial, loss-making North-East Line run by SBS Transit.
feasibility studies on ERL, BTL and JRL again?! seems that we gotta wait long long for more rails. :(

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder how they are going to extend the EWL line if its aboveground....I visited the end of the EWL line before, and there was no rail reserve for the line?

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by kenmin

what rail reserve?:?
Land reserve I mean....there is simply no space allocated for the line to continue onwards along Jurong West St 63.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sort of. I went to recee the place before as my camp was in Jurong. The rail line would continue running till in front of Block 662A at its elevated height, and stop right there with Block 659 blocking its end.

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts

Sort of. I went to recee the place before as my camp was in Jurong. The rail line would continue running till in front of Block 662A at its elevated height, and stop right there with Block 659 blocking its end.
is Blk 659 the only problem? heard it's a carpark. can tear it down.

btw, they need not extend fr where they stop. the can chop off part of the track and the make a slight diversion.

if the whole road pose a problem, mayb the will take Boon Lay Way instead?:?

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dont be silly....that precinct is only like...2 years old??

The entire stretch dont have the needed rail reserve either anyway.

If they need to divert, where can they divert to?

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts

Dont be silly....that precinct is only like...2 years old??

The entire stretch dont have the needed rail reserve either anyway.

If they need to divert, where can they divert to?
I was talking about the carpark only not the whole area... if necessary, they will do it... since the problem does not lie with the carpark only, but on the whole road, they have 2 find an alternative..

building above the road dun seem possible. never been to the area but the word "street" already suggested it's not that wide.

maybe they would tunnel through that area only?? will it be too steep?? seems a short distance to go fr 2nd flr to underground.

worse come to worse, construct a new Boon Lay station, aligned to Boon Lay Way... the difficulty will be joining up to the existing tracks w/o disrupting the service. quite unlikely though... :D

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The whole area is indeed only about 2 years old, including the roads. That also includes the entire stretch of developments on both side of the road.

I would think the only way for it to go is to dive underground!

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts

The whole area is indeed only about 2 years old, including the roads. That also includes the entire stretch of developments on both side of the road.

I would think the only way for it to go is to dive underground!
yar. for that stretch only. so it is still aboveground for the stations.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm.....then I supppose the station at Pioneer Road North is justified? Although the road system dont seem to favour high traffic for it...

I wonder if the link the NTU is going to materialise too?

·
May the Force Be With You
2,610 Posts

Hmm.....then I supppose the station at Pioneer Road North is justified? Although the road system dont seem to favour high traffic for it...

I wonder if the link the NTU is going to materialise too?
The Sports Complex nearby at Pioneer North is being constructed. New bus service may be added to take residents from this station to homes in Jurong West St 91/93. This would cut down their travelling time.

NTU may get only LRT system running into it after Jurong LRT is materialised. NTU is too far away from the alignment of East-West extension.

1 - 20 of 2029 Posts