Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe Thomson Line and Eastern Region Line will be shown as two lines on the map, but be run as one line.

I assume announcements at Gardens by the Bay station and Tanjong Rhu station (assuming Tanjong Rhu will be the last station on the western end of the Eastern Region Line) will inform passengers continuing to either line to simply remain on board when reaching the stations.

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
^^ I disagree. I think the line will be renamed when the ERL stations are finally announced, just like the Downtown Line where the 3 announced lines: Eastern Region Line, Bukit Timah Line and Downtown Extension were reborn into the Downtown Line.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
^^ I disagree. I think the line will be renamed when the ERL stations are finally announced, just like the Downtown Line where the 3 announced lines: Eastern Region Line, Bukit Timah Line and Downtown Extension were reborn into the Downtown Line.
Perhaps NSEL (North South East Line)? :D

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Does it mean that one can travel from ERL all the way to Woodland via Thomson Line without changing train?
Absolutely yes.
I believe Thomson Line and Eastern Region Line will be shown as two lines on the map, but be run as one line.
I think we'll have to wait to see. The NSL and EWL can be run together as one line and there was one daily (or one per week?) through service until a few years ago. The fact that two line can be run together as one line does not mean that they will be run together as one line. I rather suspect that the TSL will require a lot more capacity than the ERL. We'll see in about 7 years, unless there will be a clear announcement one way or the other before then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When they say the Eastern Region Line will run together with the Thomson Line as one line, it means only one line. Maybe a new name of the one line will be created to replace these two lines instead. Maybe they will change these two line names to one with a name that can be called as "north east line" instead.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sounds like politics. This way people can say "they are building two new lines" when in reality ERL is Thomson Line stage 4 and 5

·
Land Transport Enthusiast
1,886 Posts
My gut feel tells me the name will stay as Thomson Line. Any other name that attempts to take east coast/region or any of its derivatives will just be unwieldy. It's just a name for a line most people will address as brown line in the end.

Yes ERL is more like a stage 4 and any extension towards T5 a stage 5 of TSL.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
My gut feel tells me the name will stay as Thomson Line. Any other name that attempts to take east coast/region or any of its derivatives will just be unwieldy. It's just a name for a line most people will address as brown line in the end.

Yes ERL is more like a stage 4 and any extension towards T5 a stage 5 of TSL.
I actually find Thomson line name a little odd because so far none of the existing MRT line are name after a place or road, it usually has got some kind of directional name telling where exactly the lines is going. For example. EWL, NSL, DTL, CCL, ERL etc.

So, I wont be surprise Thomson line could just be a temporary name which will change when ERL alignment is announced.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I guess TSL and ERL could be like KPE and MCE. One straight route but two different lines built at different times.

I also agree that TSL name a bit odd. But my greatest peeve is the naming of Tan Kah Kee Station. I think the station name must ALWAYS be the name of the locality so that people know instinctively where that station is located (although I did get lost when I tried to get to Esplanade by travelling to Esplanade Station). I think Duchess (original name proposed by LTA) or Hwa Chong (proposed by Hwa Chong as the station was built in the school's compound) but not accepted by LTA) would have been more appropriate.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Anyone would like to have a go at "Thomson-East Coast Line", "Thomson-Changi Line" or "Thomson-Bedok Line", since the ERL section runs through mainly Marine Parade, East Coast, Bedok South and into Changi (future T5)?

Just some random thought. But eventually, whatever the naming of the line, people will still call the line by colour, exceptional cases for CCL & DTL, people call these two by their respective names.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just some random thought. But eventually, whatever the naming of the line, people will still call the line by colour, exceptional cases for CCL & DTL, people call these two by their respective names.
Me and my friends always call the lines the EW, NS, NE, Circle or Downtown line. Never by the colour. I don't even know what colour the lines are! But we drive and do not take the MRT often, so maybe our views are not the norm?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Me and my friends always call the lines the EW, NS, NE, Circle or Downtown line. Never by the colour. I don't even know what colour the lines are! But we drive and do not take the MRT often, so maybe our views are not the norm?
Hahah! I can understand where you are coming from. But I honestly cringe at people who call the lines by colours and not by the proper names. But again, I guess it is the only "best way" for these folks to identify the lines easily.

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
I've honestly never heard anyone call the line by color, except those who're more conversant in Mandarin.

·
5,215 Posts
Most of my friends and colleagues call the lines by colour

Possibly because most of them are non-Singaporeans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think we'll have to wait to see. The NSL and EWL can be run together as one line and there was one daily (or one per week?) through service until a few years ago. The fact that two line can be run together as one line does not mean that they will be run together as one line. I rather suspect that the TSL will require a lot more capacity than the ERL. We'll see in about 7 years, unless there will be a clear announcement one way or the other before then.
Along the same line of thought, does anyone have any idea what is the projected train carriage length that will serve TSL?

If the line is going to be continue along to ERL, wouldn't the same trains be used?

If so, that will also mean that the train stations along ERL be similar in size to those of TSL?:hmm:

Along the same line of thought, does anyone have any idea what is the projected train carriage length that will serve TSL?

If the line is going to be continue along to ERL, wouldn't the same trains be used?

If so, that will also mean that the train stations along ERL be similar in size to those of TSL?:hmm:
sorry found the answer when I browsed the ERL blogspot
http://erl-construction.blogspot.sg/p/about-erl.html
:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've honestly never heard anyone call the line by color, except those who're more conversant in Mandarin.
Most foreigners address the lines by the colour.

Always take me a while to realize Purple line is North East Line and Yellow line is ciricle line.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Even the locals, some do call by colour too

1 - 20 of 111 Posts