SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested,
The MSA awards were on last night at the town hall.

ISA won an award for best graphic design peice for an experimental tower,
go see it if you want to see whats going on inside the practice at the moment.

The exhibition of work is on until Monday and i'd recommend people
to go have a look. There were 58 entrys altogether in 6 catagories and Crown Building was submitted so if anyone wants a closer look its worth it.

Also the RIBA's 'architruck' is outside the main entrance which also has ISA's Beetham Tower submission from last year.

·
SSC Member
1,893 Posts
I have just been to see this exhibition.

Its good and has a load of manc towers in it.

The experimental ISA tower is on a ristricted site and is 180.3m tall by the way.

Also, the proposed Windmill St tower next toi Free Trade hall has an excellent (new) render in its bit. I really like this now.

New apartment schemes for East Manchester are shown and all the usual suspects in salford quays but not eh new ones we've just heard about.

Crown St tower has some details attached to it including a footprint plan showing it does not go over the canal but there is going to be a south facing plaza area which I would imagine will be part of a bar/restaurant when finished.

Other plans on show:

ISIS Wharf
NV Buildings
Eire Basin
Chancery Place (including a site lines study relating to town hall)
Other stuff in ancoats

All in all, a good show.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is a camera allowed to be brought onto the premises? Anyone? For those of us who aren´t able to go...

·
the man who builds cities
480 Posts
will it be open at the weekend? I think I will take the wife ( she is always moaning that she wants to go down town) she can go shopping, while I go in the TownHall. jobs a gud'en' .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gavin said:
The experimental ISA tower is on a ristricted site and is 180.3m tall by the way.
Restricted?? what makes you say that when its just an experimental
drawing with no mention of any site on it whatsoever?

For the record it isnt real and and an experiment carried out
by ISAL which was then tweaked and entered for the MSA award.

·
SSC Member
1,893 Posts
Does it not say on the board explaining the experiment that the 'brief' was for a building on a 'restricted' (theoretically) site??

Thats what I remember reading.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gavin said:
Does it not say on the board explaining the experiment that the 'brief' was for a building on a 'restricted' (theoretically) site??

Thats what I remember reading.
In context i see what you mean, but its meant to mean restricted in size as some of ISA students were set briefs with those requirements.

Heres the txt anyway:

The scheme comprises a single elegant residential tower on a restricted site. It is designed to appear slender from all viewpoints within the wider city landscape. It is locked into its immediate context by a base plinth component, which houses a carpark and whose form terminates the urban block procession leading to the site, and visually grounds the design of the tower to the lower level urban landscape.

·
SSC Member
1,893 Posts
Originally Posted by Gavin
Originally Posted by Subtract
Restricted?? what makes you say that when its just an experimental
Heres the txt anyway:
The scheme comprises a single elegant residential tower on a restricted site.
You know I really cant think why I said it was on a restricted site?!?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gavin said:
You know I really cant think why I said it was on a restricted site?!?
read my reply again!

yes but restricted by SIZE, not as in restricted and you cant build on it.

Anyways im not arsed ISA won it and theres some great and some really crap work there :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts