Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
One Malaysia
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M'sia To Use Nuclear Power For Electricity Generation By 2020

LANGKAWI, May 29 (Bernama) -- Nuclear power will be used to generate electricity in the country by 2020, Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry parliamentary secretary Prof Datuk Dr Mohd Ruddin Ab Ghani said today.

He said the government would provide adequate information on the use and benefits of nuclear power to the people until they fully understood and accepted it before the plan was implemented.

Speaking to reporters after representing Minister Datuk Seri Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis at the opening of the International Conference on Protection from Radiation 2007 here today, he said that efforts to raise people's awareness about nuclear energy had started through workshops, seminars and conferences.

Mohd Ruddin said electricity generation from nuclear energy was important in view of depleting petroleum and coal reserves.

He said that although the cost of building nuclear plants would be high, the production cost would be cheaper.

"We'll only use nuclear for constructive purposes and not for weapons," he added.

The three-day conference is being organised by the Malaysia Nuclear Agency.

-- BERNAMA

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
We should do more of this.

No need for nuclear coz
-it dangerous
-difficult to handle
-uranium mining cause major environmental degradation
-nuclear power was first used to kill

May 29, 2007 22:38 PM
Govt Makes A Second Offer On Suria 1000 Solar System

KUALA LUMPUR, May 29 (Bernama) -- The Government is once again offering Malaysians a chance to install the solar building integrated photovoltalc (BIPV) systems at their premises at a highly discounted price.

It is making the offer under a programme called SURIA 1000, which will provide a maximum discount of 70 percent to the successful bidders for the rebates.

The second call to apply for rebates under SURIA 1000 programme will be effective from June 1 to October 1, this year, a statement from Pusat Tenaga Malaysia (PTM) said today.

Recipients for the system, the cost of which is still very high in Malaysia, will be selected based on lowest financial contribution required from the government, it said.

The solar system is a simple technology which generates electricity directly from the sun, with no emission of harmful gases to the environment.

The first call to apply for the rebates began on Dec 1, 2006, and the response was overwhelming, according to Malaysia BPIV National Project Leader, Ir Ahmad Hadri Haris.

The recipients of SURIA 1000 rebates under the first call will be announced when the programme is officially launched by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi on June 22, PTM said.

It said the solar photovoltalc (PV) system will be connected to the utility grid and the electricity generated will be net-metered on monthly basis.

SURIA 1000 closely emulates the Japanese Sunshine programme and aims to create market development for solar BPIV in the country.

PTM explained that in Malaysia, the cost of solar BPIV system is still high and successful case studies of solar BPIV have shown that market development is essential for bringing the cost down.

The Japanese Sunshine programme carried out from 1994 to 2005 was attributed as the contributor to the huge PV growth in Japan, which today produces most of the world's solar BIPV.

Its residential solar BIPV system is growing at 50,000 systems per year.

PTM said the global growth in the installation of rooftop solar BIPV system is estimated at 40 percent a year, and higher in booming solar markets such as Germany and Japan.

-- BERNAMA

·
Registered
163 Posts
use nuclear?haha what a complete joke.If this took place i think you should be somewhere else than here.If we look at the past events especially the maintenance of the gov building i think every citizen will not sleep well.How could you sleep well if the next morning news pops that a leak has been found on the nuclear generator.We then point fingers to whom to blame.This is unnecessary attitude not doing things well as they supposed to will back fire in an unforgivable way if this thing ever happen.

·
Bushido
1,283 Posts
use nuclear?haha what a complete joke.If this took place i think you should be somewhere else than here.If we look at the past events especially the maintenance of the gov building i think every citizen will not sleep well.How could you sleep well if the next morning news pops that a leak has been found on the nuclear generator.We then point fingers to whom to blame.This is unnecessary attitude not doing things well as they supposed to will back fire in an unforgivable way if this thing ever happen.
This is highly exaggerated. Malaysian petrochemical plant and refineries are equally dangerous. But so far after decades in operation you have not heard any major explosion concerning these plants. These plants are manned mostly by locals.

So, are you saying that locals are unable to man a nuclear power plant?

·
Celebrity Fitness
1,552 Posts
how come i didn't notice this thread b4 eh :nuts:

This is highly exaggerated. Malaysian petrochemical plant and refineries are equally dangerous. But so far after decades in operation you have not heard any major explosion concerning these plants. These plants are manned mostly by locals.

So, are you saying that locals are unable to man a nuclear power plant?
well said there^^ .i think what make people wooried about nuclear plant is because of Chernobyl disaster.about that incident,it's because lack of research and limited knowledge about nuclear power plant.many people fail to understand that nowdays,we not only can generate energy using light water reactor(Chernobyl),but also from Pressurized Wtaer Reactor,Boiling Water Reactor,High Temperature Gas-cooled Reactor,HTTR etc etc.i said lack of reseach because when they-soviet built that reactor ,they think they could built reactor that requires no separated isotopes(U-235&238). but, that configuration is unstable.with latest technology or should i say better technology,we're not only can handle it,but we also can convert unstable U238 to Plutonium which is more stable,using Fast Breeder Reactor.thanks to this technology,we don't have to worry about looming energy crisis because without this technology,Uranium only last until next 85 yrs.since the technology is improving,so do the safety standard of nuclear plant.i hope we will use japanese technology,more specific,built by Hitachi because if i'm not mistaken thier safety standard is really good. :yes:

no matter what,sooner or later we gonna have to use NP unless we have a new energy resource.i just hope there's no "dual use" in our country dahla.:nuts:

check this out. :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
When they build nuclear powerplant, sure, they can offer cheap energy, but just look at how much they will invest on the security alone. They have to shut down the area airspace which include miles and miles. Hiring highly trained/experience engineers which hv to come from overseas. Of course Malaysia have problem if they make a war with a coutry, everyone knows the main target. Again, there are many positive about this nuclear thingy, but this is just a copycat of other countries. Malaysia need dams that also can control the flood.

·
Celebrity Fitness
1,552 Posts
dam also can cause a serious problem thou.remember,the Banqiao Dam failure in China resulted in the deaths of 171,000 people and left millions homeless, more than some estimates of the death toll from the Chernobyl disaster.In the Vajont Dam in Italy, where almost 2000 people died.Dams also may be subject to enemy bombardment during wartime, sabotage and terrorism.but the positive thing about dam,in comparasion with nuclear plant,of course no radiaction and nuclear waste.i agree with you in term of the security and waste dispotal.it will cost us hell a lot of money.and i don't think its a cheap energy.in Japan,if i'm not mistaken up to 30% the cost of electricity generated from nuclear plant is paid by Japanese Goverment to utilities companies here just to make sure the price is low.

may i know,is it enough if we only depend on hydropower? :? correct me if i'm wrong....if i'm not mistaken,one the largest dam in US can only supply up to 2-5% electic capacity in Nevada state.

i found this but i think this is an outdated data already.anyone here has the latest data?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Several reaons countries use nuclear
-High populatiom-Japan,China
-High industrilization-US, Japan,China
-No alternative resources-Japan
-No other viable forms of renewable energy- Australia,despite being a big country is facing a severe draught and their dams are at their limits while their coal plants are choking them with pollution.

Malaysia IMO, dun have the reasons to use nuclear energy. It is expensive and risky. A failed dam may be as disastrous but it does not poison the land for centuries like nuclear accidents.

·
Celebrity Fitness
1,552 Posts
i'm sure the whole point about this nuclear plant is because of environmental issue.hydro can be disruptive to surrounding aquatic ecosystems and nature.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Cheap, yes, no need to refuel in centuries, look at the USS aircraft carriers.........but dam is the best option, what's the chances that a dam can be disastrous? Ever happen in Malaysia? if the politicians dun get involve in the project I believe the dam can stay up forever.

·
Celebrity Fitness
1,552 Posts
do we have to wait until something happen.and what do you mean the politicians dun get involve ..of course the have to since this is also about the safety of malaysian.! it's okay for since you're not malaysian.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Cheap, yes, no need to refuel in centuries, look at the USS aircraft carriers.........but dam is the best option, what's the chances that a dam can be disastrous? Ever happen in Malaysia? if the politicians dun get involve in the project I believe the dam can stay up forever.
for building Bakun Dam, a singapore-size of rainforest has to be cut down and can't you imagine malaysians lose thousands of flora and fauna species...?and you 'advice' us to do the same thing. you really are destructing

·
Registered
50 Posts
^^ I agree. There is nothing ridiculous about Malaysia going nuclear.

The current fuel types will run out eventually. So, I'm for Malaysia harnassing alternative fuels ... solar, wind and nuclear energy. Reports indicate solar and wind power are not as efficient as nuclear energy at this time. They might never be. So, we may as well get on with the task of building up our physical and human capital on nuclear energy.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
U should see what a uranium mine in Australia look lile, it's a disaster. Whole areas dug up for small amounts of uranium ore.:eek:hno: ..critics say that such mines are worst than building dams.:eek:hno:

·
One Malaysia
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IAEA Happy With Malaysia's Proposed Nuke Plant

PUTRAJAYA, July 18 (Bernama) -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is "happy" with Malaysia's plan to build Southeast Asia's first nuclear monitoring facility, which will enable regional countries to evaluate their nuclear programmes, Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said.

"Actually, they (IAEA) are very happy with Malaysia...the way we move, monitoring before we even think about it (building the facility). I think people are worried (because) even if you have nuclear energy for peaceful purposes it doesn't mean that your trouble is over," he told reporters after meeting IAEA Director-General Dr Mohamed El Baradei at his office here.

He said constructing such a facility had to take into account the safety and standard requirements.

On Sunday, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced that Malaysia, in an effort to promote safety of regional nuclear sites, would construct the US$26 million facility in Bandar Muadzam Shah, Pahang. The facility is expected to be operational in three years.

Syed Hamid said the existence of nuclear energy in one country was not only the "problem" of that country as "it has got cross-border or transborder possibilities if anything goes wrong".

He said Dr El Baradei was happy with what Malaysia was doing because the facility was creating knowledge and the knowhow in the usage of nuclear energy.

Syed Hamid said the IAEA was also willing to extend its cooperation in the construction and running of the proposed facility.

-- BERNAMA

1 - 20 of 80 Posts