SkyscraperCity banner

5741 - 5760 of 5775 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Fabrication of the bridge using steel by welding or rivetting or nut and bolt is fairly simple tech and we, as in Indian companies have ample experience.
I cannot think of any area where extra accuracy is needed for its construction.

Main place where accuracy is required is ground levelling and laying of tracks. It needs to be arrow straight and not "give" under load of the train moving at high speed.

I think we are missing something here.
Just the Japanese being fussy. They probably have no idea that India has a lot if experience in radiographic or xray quality welding.
Probably Japanese have their own standards for certifying welders. Like in India we have 6G welding with vertical overhead considered as most accomplished and complicated.
Could be for tracks and bridges.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Just the Japanese being fussy. They probably have no idea that India has a lot if experience in radiographic or xray quality welding.
Probably Japanese have their own standards for certifying welders. Like in India we have 6G welding with vertical overhead considered as most accomplished and complicated.
Could be for tracks and bridges.
In the USA AWS (American Welding Society) certifies most component welders and welding inspectors (CWI). Most of the Port Authority and MTA bridges require the welder to be certified to perform a job.
I have a certification for ICC (International Code Council) that requires just the basic 'book knowledge'. Is there any such certification programs in India for the welders?

·
Registered
223 Posts
In the USA AWS (American Welding Society) certifies most component welders and welding inspectors (CWI). Most of the Port Authority and MTA bridges require the welder to be certified to perform a job.
I have a certification for ICC (International Code Council) that requires just the basic 'book knowledge'. Is there any such certification programs in India for the welders?
Certification/ Courses | IndiaWelds

Fyi - Best welders from kerela.
I have taken a 2 day welding course as a young mechanical engineer long time back. Clears your concepts atleast.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Regarding status in Maharashtra, he stated that, “24% land has been acquired. But this is very scattered and we can’t even take up work on 10-15 km. In Palghar, we were quite successful. We had carried out joint measurement surveys in 71 out of 73 villages. It shows that people are largely not against the project. We completed 450 sale deeds in Maharashtra, all on consent, and in only Palghar we have done 220 such sale deeds. But we need to have 1,200 sale deeds. People are ready to give the land, the major issue is their land records.” “There are plots, around 500, where land ownership is not clear. There are plots where 150 or 200 names are entered in the records. They call it ‘gola plot’. There is no ready-made solution to this.

·
12,099 Posts
Site clearance for Anand/Nadiad station
IMG_20210417_141344.jpg

·
INDIA
4,008 Posts

·
12,099 Posts
It is ~7 km from the center of Nadiad and ~15 km from the center of Anand. Would've made more sense to locate it closer to Anand as there are many students studying in the colleges of Vallabh Vidyanagar who travel frequently to Ahmedabad and Baroda for the weekends. Anyway, hope they launch easily accessible, frequent, and affordable bus services from important points in the city to the nearest station in Surat, Anand, Nadiad, Navsari, Valsad, and the suburbs of MMR.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is ~7 km from the center of Nadiad and ~15 km from the center of Anand. Would've made more sense to locate it closer to Anand as there are many students studying in the colleges of Vallabh Vidyanagar who travel frequently to Ahmedabad and Baroda for the weekends. Anyway, hope they launch easily accessible, frequent, and affordable bus services from important points in the city to the nearest station in Surat, Anand, Nadiad, Navsari, Valsad, and the suburbs of MMR.
Hi Rushabh, Nadiad is my hometown and I have graduated from BVM Engineering College, Anand. I know this area very well. Both cities compete with each other for growth and expansion. Like Anand's Sardar Patel University (SP Univ), Nadiad has Dharamsinh Desai University (DDIC, DDIT, now even a DD Medical college and university.). In my view, this HSR station (Nadiad/Anand) is going to help both the cities. Between both cities distance is not much (hardly 20 km). And there are multiple routes with good roads available to travel. So, let it happen, and it will bring prosperity to both these cities and Gujarat in general. Currently I am not in Gujarat, am settled in Australia, so do not have knowledge of latest development on ground. But it is a sheer joy to come to know about all these type of development activities through SSC platform and I am really impressed by your work (particularly) with GIFT thread, Bullet train thread and Sabarmati Riverfront and Ahmedabad Metro thread. Great work, guys keep updating us. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think they are going for close to 50 km intervals between the stops. I think that could be the reason to have a station in Bilmora instead of Navsari, a bigger city. Nadiad is more or less halfway between Ahmedabad and Vadodara. Anand is 10 km closer to Vadodara than Amd.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I am always impressed when I see the relatively organized urban planning in small Gujarat cities. Anand is a small city (3 lakh population) but its industrial base is pretty big for a city of its size.

Also Industrial areas are planned and separated Industrial areas (Left) and suburbs. Other than GIDC, I feel SIPCOT and MIDC do a very good job of creating organized spaces for industry all across their respective states. But in GJ, there is a GIDC even in a tiny town.

Suburbs, which are expanding, are well planned with enough road space and uniform plot size. They also seem to have higher FSI.

Vs this. This is from Hapur a city in UP which seems to have a similiar level of population. (Not a slight against UP, its same in many parts of India)

Or Bardhaman WB...new urban expansions are like...build wherever you can.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You're talking about large towns like Anand. The pictures below are from tiny villages. The new housing in red has come up post 2017. Not sure if existing villages are being rebuilt or these are new developments. I noticed a number of such organized housing across Gujarat next to existing villages. Any ideas what they are? Housing for all scheme? Or is it even housing ?

·
12,099 Posts
Seems the commies haven't spotted these planned housing societies in rural areas yet. Else they would've been crying about the 'destruction of the perfect Indian village'.

These are normal housing societies only. Since the bigger cities and towns have planned suburban expansion, the culture seems to have seeped into some of the wealthier villages too. I've noticed these too, one can clearly distinguish between the old organic center of the village and the newer planned societies in most towns and large villages in Gujarat.

This is something to be encouraged. If small towns and villages are able to provide most of the facilities that cities do, then the urban expansion can be better managed. Of course, one has to visit the city for some needs and services, but if there are good roads, bus services, and (in some cases) rail services, then that weekly/fortnightly trip to the city is quite easy. I think a lot of people already do this in Kerala.

·
Registered
578 Posts

This article nicely summarizes the reason behind organized expansion of cities in Gujarat....unfortunately the site is asking for sign in to read the entire article...it would be good if someone can copy paste the text

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Yes I have seen Ahmedabad & Surat through Google History timelines and it is very interesting as to how do they manage to create such an organized spread. I had made a post about this before too.

It is not like it does not exist in other cities, but really good planning only happens in dedicated "townships". In GJ cities though it seems to be the norm.

Fields

Goes into this. Note how wide the arterial roads are. In many places in India, townships come with tiny 2-lane roads!

Today:

Size of arterial roads. Higher density per plot.

Older parts...even more highly dense, but good planning.

Vs new layouts in Bangalore. Not much space is left for traffic or future public transport.

Which will eventually turn into this:

Ofcourse even Ahmedabad has its unplanned old city. But things beyond that are better planned. This is something missing in many other cities where outside of municipal planned and approved townships, layouts, New Towns etc etc, it is a total mess. Pune, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata.

Even Delhi, in the Union territory...it suffers from terrible urban planning for those who cannot afford to live in the better planned parts.

For eg, See Delhi, the difference between planned areas and the ones which are left to God!

If anyone in Delhi ever tells someone oh we dont have slums...

5741 - 5760 of 5775 Posts