SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1321 - 1340 of 2382 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Okay, so I drove on the sea-link this morning.
There was a bit of a jam on the northbound lanes of sea-face, but I felt better when I saw the traffic headed downtown! Choc-a-bloc is an understatement.

I noticed a couple of officials frantically deploying last minute measures on the southbound side of the approach ramp. They were trying hard to remove the newly installed rumblers in order to ease the flow of vehicles. Partial northbound restriction in the right lane was in force because of this, meaning there was bit of a bottleneck on the bloody approach ramp.

The drive north was smooth. Thankfully, no one broke the speed limit or weaved in and out of their lanes. There was no sign of those 'water-filled' dividers yet. Bright yellow linear ones do the job just fine, IMO.
The drive to Bandra was a lot smoother than the Worli approach, but I fail to understand why the stupid Bombay Traffic Police left the right most lane (northbound) on the Bandra approach expressway open (and divided) for motorists to be able to take a U-turn!?!?! Just plain DUMB!

SITA and KUONI tour buses were all over the place. There were news vans at both ends of the link, and people everywhere! Turned back at the Bandra flyover and exited the Western Express Highway at the Mahim interchange. I wasn't about to endure what could easily have been a 30 minute ride on the bridge knowing full well that our good old Cadell road would be relatively less crowded. Both southbound lanes of the link were packed with cars, moving at about 5km/h.

BTW, Bombay's western sea front looked amazing in the morning monsoon light.
interesting. makes sense to only take it in opposite of peak directions. which kind of defeats its purpose, but thats how well its been planned

i see a lot less traffic come monday, when its not free anymore and people realise they dont save that much time either. will probably take a ride post midnight today, not brave enough to try it in the day

RIP worli sea face. you used to be one of the best localities in bombay. no more

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are you serious dude...really...really? Miniature hollywood set...ohhh...so that's how Hindustani describes the world's widest cable-stayed bridge and Boston's new symbol to the world, huh? Gee, I guess we are all happy here for Mumbai, and might as well be happy for Boston too, but noooo.

That's okay buddy, I know for sure I enjoy driving the Zakim, and best of all, my bridge doesn't end at a T-intersection, and I don't even have to pay a toll!

That one aside, I was really looking forward to BWSL until the big RG's name had to be slapped on as a nice vote-mongering ploy. Does everything have to be named after a politician? How about engineers, scientists, military heroes for once? India has four times the population of the United States, and yet we can't find anyone else to name the bridge after? Americans worship President Washington, and yet his name doesn't appear half as frequently as Rajiv Gandhi. Does Congress think there is no one else in the country worthy of the honor?
I dont think Zakim and BWSL can be compared. I live in Boston and have been on this bridge a trillion times. BWSL is huge and indeed a technical feat. Zakim is a small bridge over Charles and there are many suspension bridges in India longer than it. No doubt it looks good but you can't compare it to BWSL. One more thing- no matter who names BWSL what, it doesn't take away the technical accomplishment.

·
4,309 Posts
Pictures from the Hindu..

Some construction pictures ..

·
Complex Equation
10,740 Posts
they probably only wanted to make this an engg marvel completely forgetting about the design concepts for the huge traffick that wud choke the road at the worli end..
m not surprised that it has already started witnessing huge jams..
HCC should have had a good look at the newly built Nivedita Setu and the Vidyasagar setu..
and the news reporters who make statements like "HCC has given India its first landmark after independence (CNBC TV18)" should leave Mumbai and Delhi and move to some other forgotten parts of India..

PS: I am literally pissed off about the renaming of the bridge. As it is its worth nothing, now the name adds on to it

·
Cov Boy
4,061 Posts
Mumbai Sea Link: Traffic snarls, chaos on Day 1

Mumbai Sea Link: Traffic snarls, chaos on Day 1

Source:

url]http://ibnlive.in.com/news/mumbai-sea-link-traffic-snarls-chaos-on-day-1/96053-3.html[/url]

:eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
i mean comeon did they really think this was going to work in the first place? they should have like 8 lanes on each side, its very narrow. there is hardly any signs, no landscaping and the lanes arent marked properly as usual. but however saying that if you look at it from far away it does look like good birdge but i done think its serving its perposes.

·
Registered
32,049 Posts
i mean comeon did they really think this was going to work in the first place? they should have like 8 lanes on each side, its very narrow. there is hardly any signs, no landscaping and the lanes arent marked properly as usual. but however saying that if you look at it from far away it does look like good birdge but i done think its serving its perposes.
Damn, no landscaping? And what about the revolving observation tower and ferris wheel? The least they could have done is built an attached airstrip.

1321 - 1340 of 2382 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.