SkyscraperCity banner

10941 - 10960 of 30075 Posts

·
Mohan-Bharat
512 Posts
So Finally The FARE CHART is out !!

The Metro fare is too much. After all it is a mass transport system. Fare should be such that more people can afford it so that the trafffic situations on roads on that route improves. Relience surrenders its Delhi Airport line because due to its high fare it was not attractive to the commuters and even it was hard to maintain the money needed for its daily operation. :nuts:
For comparisim i mentioned Delhi metro revised fare chart
Note that Delhi Metro runs in profit................:)

In my view the fare should be

0-2 k.m .........10
2-6 k.m..........15
6-12 k.m.........20

·
How I met your Sister
2,505 Posts
Is the metro supposed to be cheaper than an auto or locals ? :dunno:

I don't know what people were expecting from a private corporation.
They want profit.Anyways if the price doesn't meet the market they
will reduce it following economic logic.No one is being forced to take the metro.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the metro supposed to be cheaper than an auto or locals ? :dunno:

I don't know what people were expecting from a private corporation.
They want profit.Anyways if the price doesn't meet the market they
will reduce it following economic logic.No one is being forced to take the metro.
Dude its not property of private corporation,its a joint venture between govt and private corporation. Private corporation doesnt own this metro. And what do you mean by no one is being forced to go by metro? It is public transport system, not made for only higher classes !!! Nobody is opposing hike in fare but it should increased thinking abt both i.e. nt only abt reliance

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
Cheers to Mumbai people and the team behind Metro infrastructure.

Here is some data on minimum metro fares (one or few stops), converting from local currency.

United States: Rs 90 to 150 per ride
France: Rs 130 per ride
UK: Rs 180 per ride
Germany: Rs 180 per ride
Switzerland: Rs 170 per ride
Japan: Rs 90 per ride
Mexico: Rs 25 per ride
China: Rs 20 per ride

The maximum fare depends on the length of the journey (for example, in Zurich, one way 7-zone journey ticket on local metro/train costs Rs 900 per ride). In Shanghai, the maximum price one way has a ceiling limit of Rs 85 per ride.

In many cases, metro offer discounts to monthly pass holders, students, senior citizens, on bulk e-ticket cards, weekends and pre-peak and post-peak hours (e.g. before 6:30am and after 8pm).

One would hope and expect low tolls/fares in India. Yet, one must also consider the fact that if land acquisition costs in India are higher than world cities on per acre or per linear band length basis, and if project completion costs per kilometer in US$ top major world cities like Paris, London, Berlin, San Francisco, then fares too cannot be much lower. Everyone must pay for the higher land acquisition and capital costs.

For specific world city metro network fares, click this link. The Mexico City data is old; they raised fares in 2013.

·
Mohan-Bharat
512 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The citizens on those citys does not get their salaries in Indian rupees.
please compare the metro fare compared to other indian cities
Such as Bangalore, Delhi, Hydrabad, Chennei,
I have kept out Kolkata as it runs by indian railway.

·
indiadreams
7,910 Posts
The Metro fare is too much. After all it is a mass transport system. Fare should be such that more people can afford it so that the trafffic situations on roads on that route improves. Relience surrenders its Delhi Airport line because due to its high fare it was not attractive to the commuters and even it was hard to maintain the money needed for its daily operation. :nuts:
For comparisim i mentioned Delhi metro revised fare chart
Note that Delhi Metro runs in profit................:)

In my view the fare should be

0-2 k.m .........10
2-6 k.m..........15
6-12 k.m.........20
1) Delhi Metro is not in profits. Its loss is widening since last few years because of populist measures. Your claim on DAME is completely wrong. Reliance provided discount as an introductory offer and continued to offer the same discount, as it could not get enough passengers. DMRC is still continuing with the same rates. The problem with DAME is poor planning. Such a system is not needed.

2) DMRC has been asking for fare hike for the last 2 years. It had openly said that the maintenance will take a hit if fares are not increased. Populist measures of previous Govt stopped fare hikes for 2 years before election years

3) Fare committtee is being formed, which will decide fares for all the metros including Mumbai metro. Fare committee will be independent like AERA and will not yield to populist political measures.

4) As philebus had put, India has teh lowest metro rates in the world. Indians are used to subsidies. I dont know why the whoel bunch of office goers in Andheri East (or rather in Delhi) need to be subsidised using hard earned tax money of whole country. If Govt wants to provide subsidy, tehy can select those poor people and give subsidy. This common subsidy is the reason for the poor state of Railways.

5) Having said all these things, it is a loophole in Central Metro Act, which has resulted in this situation. The metro operator can choose fares only till the fare committee is formed. After that, fares will be fixed by fare committee.

IMO, more than the fares, the step up has been steep at Rs.10. It should have been Rs.5. I know it is to overcome the issue of giving change. But still, really not the right thing to do.

Reliance is following a typical price discovery mode. It is operating at introductory fare at RS.10 and then hiking to the published fare. This will help it to understand price elasticity. In case ridership decreases significantly (but I doubt as even ordinary non-AC bus is almost as expensive in Bombay), it will offer discount as done in DAME.

Finally, for all people, who are worried about fare, it will be fixed by the independent committee soon. But don't expect too much reduction. In the best case, it l be reduced to Rs.30 (for Delhi and Bangalore too, for the same distance).Let middle and upper middle class learn to live without subsidies

·
indiadreams
7,910 Posts
btw, saw the name board of Versova station brightly lit yesterday nite. It looked awesome. Till date it was never lit.

And one of the trains is wrapped with ad of Ultratech.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Congrats Mumbai.

One more Metro to have Metro Rail.

Refreshing change from the WR / CR Crowded coaches.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The citizens on those citys does not get their salaries in Indian rupees.
Where were you during the land acquisition and other construction costs discussion? Somehow land, right of way and other construction costs for infrastructure projects in India are 2 to 20 times higher than even the developed world; yet, the fare and tolls need to be lower? How can this be possible?

The locals in foreign countries earn their salaries in local currencies. I converted the local fares above to ease comparison between INR, CHF, GBP, USD, CNY, JPY, EUR, etc.

Mumbai claims to be the richest city in India, on per capita basis. Its per capita GDP is US$ 5,900 (per this link) - lower than Chinese cities and Europe/US/Canadian cities, but still high relative to other South Asian cities. To compare, that per capita is about 3 to 9 times lower than per capita GDP in countries I listed above.

The questions are two: (a) what people in Mumbai pay now for a similar trip in terms of fuel or bus/taxi fare? (b) what is the worth of time saved and the convenience with the metro versus other options?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Today in pics: Mumbai metro to start operations

People onboard a metro train in Mumbai on Saturday. The Mumbai metro services on Varsova-Ghatkopar
corridor, reportedly, would begin from Sunday. (Source: PTI)

Girls are seen enjoying a metro ride in Mumbai on Saturday. (Source: PTI)

Metro trains running on the tracks in Mumbai on Saturday. (Source: PTI)

Source

·
indiadreams
7,910 Posts
Andheri west looks beautiful from metro. Captured some. People with better photographic skills, please capture skyline in the northern side while making the trip, especially CG.

10941 - 10960 of 30075 Posts