1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fully elevated? Isn't that going to increase costs? I hope this executes without hiccups and chances are very high as you said Land Acquisition is close to complete..

On other note:

If 500Km ( Mum-AHD) will take 2.5hrs on approx operating speed of 320km/hr
800 Km (Mum- NGP) will take 4 hrs? Wow!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
We wonder what costs more - acquiring entire land for HSR construction on-ground or acquiring land for stilts and building the stilts. Since the 2013 Land Acquisition Bill has made many infrastructure projects unviable and an attempt to pass an infrastructure-friendly bill was blocked in the Rajya Sabha, agencies are forced to choose this method, on stilts.

It will indeed take 4 hours, or a little more than that. Let's not forget, there's a hill crossing from outer Mumbai to Igatpuri/Nasik, which will complicate matters a fair bit. Whether they're looking at acquiring separate land to cross the Thull Ghats or building right on top of the Expressway divider that's crossing them, isn't clear.

This may run a few services during the early morning on either side, as well as after sunset, but it may actually be used as a high-speed corridor for trains headed far east, towards Kolkata. It should be made broad gauge and linked to the legacy network so that some faster trains can cover the entire 1968-1971 km faster. The demand for links to far eastern locations may be higher than that for Mumbai-Nagpur links.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I feel the Mumbai-Nashik section will be a little challenging. On the Mumbai side the alignment can be parallel to MAHSR until it crosses the the Thane creek. Thereafter it can either go via Thane HSR station and completely bypass the Kalyan-Dombivali area. Alternatively, the route can separate from MAHSR just across the creek and run underneath Kalyan-Dombivali. In any case the HSR can include a station in the Shahapur-Asangaon belt and then cross the western ghats via tunnels and viaducts just like the Mumbai-Nagpur expressway.
In the Nasik area - If Shirdi is also included in the route then the alignment would perhaps have pass underneath Nasik-Road/Deolali in an east-west direction then include Shirdi/Kopaoprgaon and Vaijapur/Rotegaon. Alternatively the line can approach Nasik Road/Deolali in the North-East direction and turn then gradually east towards Aurangabad via Yeola and Vaijapur.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Only wish they are considering a spur from Aurangabad to Pune, most of the people working in IT in Pune are from Nagpur.
A chord can be added from the Mumbai-Nagpur HSR to the Mumbai-Pune-Hyderabad HSR from Thane/Kalyan/Navi Mumbai/Panvel area. Aurangabad-Pune will still get covered in about 90-100 minutes and patronage will be high since it will go through the extended suburbs of Mumbai

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Are they planning on extending this line to Kolkata eventually?
Ideally, they should. Mumbai - Nashik - Aurangabad - Amravati - Wardha - Nagpur - Bhilai - Raipur - Bilaspur - Jharsuguda (Sambalpur?) - Rourkela - Tatanagar - Kharagpur - Kolkata.

However, none of the planned corridors extend to East India, except, possibly, Delhi - Varanasi, set to get extended to Kolkata (though they call it a separate corridor from Varanasi onward). But anything in East India should be a cost-effective, indigenous product with relatively modest performance specifications. An E5 at 320 km/h makes no sense there.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Ideally, they should. Mumbai - Nashik - Aurangabad - Amravati - Wardha - Nagpur - Bhilai - Raipur - Bilaspur - Jharsuguda (Sambalpur?) - Rourkela - Tatanagar - Kharagpur - Kolkata.

However, none of the planned corridors extend to East India, except, possibly, Delhi - Varanasi, set to get extended to Kolkata (though they call it a separate corridor from Varanasi onward). But anything in East India should be a cost-effective, indigenous product with relatively modest performance specifications. An E5 at 320 km/h makes no sense there.
Plenty of regional cities on that corridor. So something with consistent 250 km/h capabilities will still work well. Raipur, Bilaspur, Rourkela, Jharsuguda and Kharagpur should benefit from faster connectivity to Mumbai and/or Kolkata

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Plenty of regional cities on that corridor. So something with consistent 250 km/h capabilities will still work well. Raipur, Bilaspur, Rourkela, Jharsuguda and Kharagpur should benefit from faster connectivity to Mumbai and/or Kolkata
People are debating the viability of MAHSR. This is a corridor with three 50 million-plus population cities with a couple more million-plus cities within 500 km of each other and high intracity travel. The East-West corridor has none of that. Most of these cities are less than a million population and economies are mostly local. It is highly unlikely it would be viable as the tickets will be expensive. IR should find a low-cost alternative for these routes to make them viable. A system that costs the same as MAHSR could never be feasible.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
People are debating the viability of MAHSR. This is a corridor with three 50 million-plus population cities with a couple more million-plus cities within 500 km of each other and high intracity travel. The East-West corridor has none of that. Most of these cities are less than a million population and economies are mostly local. It is highly unlikely it would be viable as the tickets will be expensive. IR should find a low-cost alternative for these routes to make them viable. A system that costs the same as MAHSR could never be feasible.
Shinkansen is certainly unviable for this route, but it needs something to start attracting more people to live and work, and HSR (even a significantly-upgraded Train-18) is just part of the package - industrial zones, major airports, logistics hubs, metro and regional commuter railway, and in some cases inland waterways will complete the package. But if having more routes results in more coaches to build, that will create more jobs here.

Firstly there should be a dedicated freight corridor than a bullet train on this corridor
Already ongoing, it seems - although it's mostly a quadrupling of the existing route.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I am not setting the speed bar too high here. I think the east west corridor might work well with 250 km/h speed limits in most sections. I also think using broad gauge for this corridor is a good idea. And the Nagpur-Howrah stretch need not happen immediately. It can happen after the Mumbai-Nagpur stretch is completed and operational; Even the Mumbai-Nagpur stretch will have to wait for MAHSR to be operational. But the Govt can always plan ahead.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I am not setting the speed bar too high here. I think the east west corridor might work well with 250 km/h speed limits in most sections. I also think using broad gauge for this corridor is a good idea. And the Nagpur-Howrah stretch need not happen immediately.
Even 250 kph would be expensive as hell given the distance it had to cover. Not just this, same applies for Nagpur-Hyderabad- Bangalore stretch too. Cities are small and far away along these routes.
It can happen after the Mumbai-Nagpur stretch is completed and operational; Even the Mumbai-Nagpur stretch will have to wait for MAHSR to be operational. But the Govt can always plan ahead.
Given the major hurdle for MAHSR is Maharashtra, I doubt it will happen. Since SS wants to prioritize farmers and keep the majority of the population in farming, I doubt he wants to fund the "suit-boot" project. Besides, the same comments apply to Mumbai- Nagpur stretch too. This not gonna happen until we can find a much cheaper way to build new corridors indigenously. If Maharashtra wants their own HSR, they should start with Mumbai- Pune stretch and forget about Hyperloop. It might be expensive per km, but might end up making a profit.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Shinkansen is certainly unviable for this route, but it needs something to start attracting more people to live and work, and HSR (even a significantly-upgraded Train-18) is just part of the package - industrial zones, major airports, logistics hubs, metro and regional commuter railway, and in some cases inland waterways will complete the package. But if having more routes results in more coaches to build, that will create more jobs here.
Train 18 has a top speed of 180 kph and it barely maintains 160 kph operational speed on IR routes. Procuring coaches is not a big expense. Upgrading the tracks and signaling is cost-intensive. There are better ways to create jobs. I think upgrading sewer systems and sewage treatment plants and employing people in that sector would be more useful than spending on unviable projects. I don't want to see another Jaipur metro style failure.
And cities don't need metro and HSR to make people move there. People need reliable public transportation (like public buses) employment sources like IT sector in Bangalore, IT and pharmacy in Hyderabad, Automobile in Chennai, etc., HSR, metro, major Airport, and commuter rail should be built based on necessity and demand. "Build they will come" won't work in every other city. If a city is fortunate enough to be on the route like Baruch/ Anand etc., it might help them but that's it. You can't just build and hope it will be useful in the future. Especially at this price tag.
A regional airport that can connect to major cities is sufficient for most tier 2 and 3 cities in India. We can't build a massive HSR network as China did. We don't have the money and we are not urbanized to the same level. I think it is a better investment to just upgrade the existing IR routes to make trains run at 160 to 200 kmph.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Even 250 kph would be expensive as hell given the distance it had to cover. Not just this, same applies for Nagpur-Hyderabad- Bangalore stretch too. Cities are small and far away along these routes.

Given the major hurdle for MAHSR is Maharashtra, I doubt it will happen. Since SS wants to prioritize farmers and keep the majority of the population in farming, I doubt he wants to fund the "suit-boot" project. Besides, the same comments apply to Mumbai- Nagpur stretch too. This not gonna happen until we can find a much cheaper way to build new corridors indigenously. If Maharashtra wants their own HSR, they should start with Mumbai- Pune stretch and forget about Hyperloop. It might be expensive per km, but might end up making a profit.
-As I mentioned before the different sections can happen one after the another provided funding is available. I am not saying fund them completely with taxpayer money. Funding should be obtained mostly from banks/financial institutions.
-HyperLoop is pretty much not going to happen. God knows who took it seriously. Mumbai-Pune HSR should be done with future connectivity to Hyderabad and Bengaluru in mind.
Train 18 has a top speed of 180 kph and it barely maintains 160 kph operational speed on IR routes. Procuring coaches is not a big expense. Upgrading the tracks and signaling is cost-intensive. There are better ways to create jobs. I think upgrading sewer systems and sewage treatment plants and employing people in that sector would be more useful than spending on unviable projects.
-Sewers and sewage treatment plants or any such facilities are almost completely funded through tax money. More of such facilities are welcome but will involve more tax money, especially at local level;
-Of course I am not asking for pursuing unviable projects. But what is currently inviable now may be viable 10-15 years down the line. We can plan for that in advance.
We can't build a massive HSR network as China did. We don't have the money and we are not urbanized to the same level. I think it is a better investment to just upgrade the existing IR routes to make trains run at 160 to 200 kmph.
-India doesn't have to go as massive as China. Just the diamond quadrilateral completed over a span of 20-30 years should be enough.
-Upgrading top speeds from 160-200 km/h can also be time consuming without much improvement in average speeds and capacity won't be that useful.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
-Upgrading top speeds from 160-200 km/h can also be time consuming without much improvement in average speeds and capacity won't be that useful.
It would cost far less and some of the sections need to be repaired anyway. And IR is already planning to upgrade Mumbai- Delhi, Kolkata- Delhi routes. They can do the same for a few more.
Regarding other lines, let's just wait and see.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts