SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai - Pune Expressway (Khalapur-Kusgaon Bypass) | U/C

66048 232
Thought this deserves a separate thread to track the progress.

Construction has begun.

Maharashtra State government planned to construct a 13.5 km-long bypass between Khalapur toll plaza and Kusgaon, which will likely to reduce travel time between Mumbai and Pune by almost 20 minutes.

New Delhi: Good news for Pune-Mumbai commuters! Construction work on the 13.3 Km-long bypass road between Khopoli and Kusgaon on the Pune-Mumbai expressway has begun. This will decongest the highway and will help people save at least 20 minutes of travel time between both cities.

As recent HT report stated that the construction will be carried out in three phases and is expected to be completed within the next three years. It may be noted that the tender was allowed to Navyug Construction by the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation. In the first phase of the project, construction work on the tunnel near Kusgaon began. Work on three kilometres will be completed in the first year while the work on the remaining stretch will be completed in the next two years.

The national daily report quoted MSRDC chief engineer Shankar Dhote saying, "Finally construction of the project has started. MSRDC has appointed Hyderabad-based private firm to construct the bypass between Khopoli and Kusgaon within three years." He mentioned that the project was delayed because they were not able to get the Forest Rights Act (FRA) certificates. However, they received the certificates a month earlier following which the construction work started.

Worth mentioning here is that the Maharashtra State government planned to construct a 13.5 km-long bypass between Khalapur toll plaza and Kusgaon, which will likely to reduce travel time between Mumbai and Pune by almost 20 minutes. Since the expressway and the national highway merge right now, six out 10 lanes are very congested which slows down the traffic.

As per the officials, this realignment will allow the people to travel at a speed of 120 kilometres per hour which will cut down travel time between the two cities by 30 minutes.

https://www.timesnownews.com/busine...-to-be-20-minutes-faster-check-details/389349
101 - 120 of 233 Posts
I once almost collided with a truck that was on the wrong side after a blind corner on a ghat section. Saved the day with my cat like reflexes.
This is why drivers education should be made mandatory. Drive safe guys, come home alive and uninjured.

@Coolguyz, no offense but do what truck drivers are doing, pass safely and move on. It isn't your job to provide drivers education to fools on busy expressways. Maintain your cool as your name says.

Enjoy each of your trip, be it your daily commute or a special trip to a destination. Take time to smell the roses, take lots of pictures, and be sure to share here once in a while. Last but not the least, be adventurous but don't be thrill seekers.I have lost a dear friend to road accident so sharing this. Take care.
Project is 22 percent complete. The first phase will be completed in March 2023 and the second phase in April 2023. The new route will be launched in June 2023 and the journey will be even faster, an official said.

Reactions: raghu487
A lot of people may not be aware about the driving etiquette and there definitely exists a lot of such cases in India. If there are road signs that say slow drivers, drive on the left lane, and allow others to pass, then it's a different thing that they are not abiding by such guidelines.
Yea I know and I dont do it always. I make sure there are no other vehicles behind in fast lane. Once I had a santro driver traveling at approx 50 kmph on fast lane at 1 in night,even trucks were overtaking him. I made sure he goes to extreme left lane, assholes such people are
There are both pictorial as well as written signboard placed all over expressway mentioning that right lane is only for overtaking and not for coasting and left most is for slow moving vehicles
A lot of people may not be aware about the driving etiquette and there definitely exists a lot of such cases in India. If there are road signs that say slow drivers, drive on the left lane, and allow others to pass, then it's a different thing that they are not abiding by such guidelines.
Reactions: raghu487
Those can be found on national highways too. Too bad most can't understand why they are there or just ignore them.
There are both pictorial as well as written signboard placed all over expressway mentioning that right lane is only for overtaking and not for coasting and left most is for slow moving vehicles
The only way out of this is investing in CCTV infra and penalising offenders. The saying “laato k bhoot baato se nahi maante” is quite evident in India.

What is the current deadline? Have they revised it recently?
Another 2 years to complete.
What is the current deadline? Have they revised it recently?
Reactions: Sharabh
Thank you for info :)
Another 2 years to complete.
I don't think they can finish it by March'23. That's just 15 months away. Cable-stayed bridge will take longer time. Somewhere in 2024 is a realistic date.
Yes, they have extended the date till the end of 2023 already.
I don't think they can finish it by March'23. That's just 15 months away. Cable-stayed bridge will take longer time. Somewhere in 2024 is a realistic date.
Are Indian construction companies even capable of building such a bridge? We barely even build such bridges over water to begin with, building such a bridge over this terrain would be the first for a road project. I will be surprised if this gets done by 2027 (5 years from now). Plus there doesn't seem to be any machinery present either to build such a tall viaduct.
101 - 120 of 233 Posts