SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Munich is a great city indeed.Beautiful old town proper inner city wide tree lined streets great public transport etc.London compared to it looks backward and provincial.Theres no funny narrow streets or crescents or two storey Victorian garbage in Munich all buildings are at least five six storeys and well maintained yep even 60s tower blocks are well maintained!Public transport (S Bahn U Bahn Tram Bus) is fast modern reliable (no engineering works signaling problems or shit like that) and most importantly air-conditioned.In London for example only big shops and City offices have air-conditioners.Can anybody tell me why that is?The pavements in Munich are wide as well.Infact they are so wide that half of the pavement is reserved for the cyclists.Its a cycle city.
I do realise that all of this sounds like an all out attack on London but its really hard not to be critical of London after having seen such a great city as Munich.Indeed arriving back at Gatwick felt like Ive just landed in some 3rd World Country.The airport is tragic just tragic.Its hot (once again no air-cons) miles of dingy passageways leading to more passageways smashed lights missing ceiling panels here wires sticking out there.Munich airport on the other hand (which is of roughly the same size as Gatwick) is modern fresh and airy.Perphaps we should learn a thing or two from ze Germans?

We stayed in Munich for three days.The first one was spent walking in the city and drinking beer.The next day we rented a car and drove to The Alps - Hohenschwangau Ettal Oberammergau Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Innsbruck in Austria.Loads of interesting things there.The last day was again spent walking.
So now the pictures (there will be quite a lot of them - 80 so be patient and if something doesnt show up just hit refresh).

Munich

Hohenschwangau Area

Ettal

Oberammergau

On The Way To Austria

Innsbruck

The End

:)

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,810 Posts
^^you're welcome ;) I feel your sentiments about how backward this country can feel we should have blitzed them harder in the war.

Really really fantastic photographs as always :drool: What were the highlights of your trip?

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,461 Posts
Great shots, I felt exactly the same way on returning to Britain from Germany. We should let them build and run our transport networks.

·
Londinium langur
10,293 Posts
London compared to it looks backward and provincial.
Erm, no. Munich doesn't seem to have any "big city" feel to it whatsoever. It's pretty but also resembles an overgrown Mittel-Europa medieval village. One half expects the Pied Piper of Hamlin, Hansel and Gretel, or a bear and tamer to walk down the streets. Is it true that some of the women still wear those frilly Bavarian/Alpine blouses in normal everyday setting? The mean wearing lederhosen?? :laugh:
Theres no funny narrow streets or crescents or two storey Victorian garbage in Munich all buildings are at least five six storeys and well maintained yep even 60s tower blocks are well maintained!
Narrow streets are can be absolutely charming. Look at Italian cities. Their streets are far too narrow for cars to pass and they're wonderful to explore and walk around. In London the same can be said of the small streets in Soho, Covent Garden, or the City.

I also think London's crescents are magnificent. Regent's Park Crescent, for instance, is way grander than most of you've posted, some of which is architecturally quite dull.

I also think Munich has loads of two-storey housing in the suburbs just like every other German city.
Public transport (S Bahn U Bahn Tram Bus) is fast modern reliable (no engineering works signaling problems or shit like that) and most importantly air-conditioned.In London for example only big shops and City offices have air-conditioners.Can anybody tell me why that is?
Maybe because Munich is a relatively southern, and, more importantly, an inland city with a Continental climate (ie much hotter summers on average than London). However AC is a recent addition to Munich's U and S bahns. They only got it in the last couple of years with the new trains. AC comes on London's Tube next year, well ahead of most German cities.

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Really really fantastic photographs as always :drool: What were the highlights of your trip?
Thanks.The highlights were definately The Alps.Absolutely stunning place.

Great shots, I felt exactly the same way on returning to Britain from Germany. We should let them build and run our transport networks.
Cheers.My friend and I joked that its a shame Germans didnt win the war because if they did maybe today Britain would have public transport that actually works and autobahns. :)

Erm, no. Munich doesn't seem to have any "big city" feel to it whatsoever.It's pretty but also resembles an overgrown Mittel-Europa medieval village.One half expects the Pied Piper of Hamlin, Hansel and Gretel, or a bear and tamer to walk down the streets.
Its London that doesnt I mean ffs you can even find bungalows in zone 2.A glorified suburb. :laugh:

Is it true that some of the women still wear those frilly Bavarian/Alpine blouses in normal everyday setting? The mean wearing lederhosen?? :laugh:
Only saw one guy in lederhosen but as for women in Alpine blouses theres loads of them in Ettal havent seen any in Munich though.

Narrow streets are can be absolutely charming. Look at Italian cities. Their streets are far too narrow for cars to pass and they're wonderful to explore and walk around. In London the same can be said of the small streets in Soho, Covent Garden, or the City.
Some are some aint.London streets are ugly (with some exceptions).In Italy it depends on the city really Naples has perhaps the filthiest streets in The World and their alleys are full of madmen on scooters.

I hate Soho.Its congested and full of mad cabbies white van men and dodgy characters trying to sell you something.

I also think Munich has loads of two-storey housing in the suburbs just like every other German city.
No it doesnt.It has loads of tall inter-war apartment blocks that go from the city centre almost right to the edge where then they give way to well maintained 60s apartment blocks set in green and pleasant grounds.It feels like a proper city with city centre inner city and suburbs.In London the 2 storey Victorian garbage starts in zone 1 and goes on for miles and miles.A glorified suburb. ;)

Maybe because Munich is a relatively southern, and, more importantly, an inland city with a Continental climate (ie much hotter summers on average than London).
Oh why do Oslo and Stockholm have AC then?

·
Londinium langur
10,293 Posts
I think Munich looks suburban (or rather a Mitteleuropa medieval village ;) ) next to London. None of your photos look "big city". All the buildings in Munich look small, some are cute, some are dull, but they're almost all small. Victorian buildings are actually very high quality, hence why they're still here today in such large numbers. You yourself have worshipped Victorian buildings and streets on other threads. You even praised to the skies a very cheap brick Victorian building near King's Cross. Remember that? Someone has double standards.... ;) And you say London's streets are ugly but I think West London is grander, more urban, and more handsome than any of the general street photos on this thread.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
nice pics Greco. i visited munich 10 years ago, couldn't believe how clean and orderly it all was. it is an under-rated city for urbanity but feels more like a pleasant place to live than a vibrant place worth visiting.

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Munich looks suburban (or rather a Mitteleuropa medieval village ;) ) next to London. None of your photos look "big city". All the buildings in Munich look small, some are cute, some are dull, but they're almost all small. Victorian buildings are actually very high quality, hence why they're still here today in such large numbers. You yourself have worshipped Victorian buildings and streets on other threads. You even praised to the skies a very cheap brick Victorian building near King's Cross. Remember that? Someone has double standards.... ;) And you say London's streets are ugly but I think West London is grander, more urban, and more handsome than any of the general street photos on this thread.
No it doesnt.Its London that has bungalows in its inner city.Munich has tall beautiful apartment blocks.What looks more suburban?2 storey Victorian garbage or an 8 storey grand apartment block?Arent many areas in London protected precisely because they have a 'village feel'? ;)

Indeed London looks like a medieval village - little buildings narrow filthy streets (Just like in the middle ages!All you need to complete the look is some shit & piss oh wait we have the piss :laugh:).

·
Londinium langur
10,293 Posts
I haven't seen bungalows in central London. Where? There don't seem to be any streets in Munich that are grand and properly urban like Piccadilly, Regent's Street, Fleet Street, Whitehall, Strand, etc. The buildings in general look small. Munich just doesn't have that urban "big city" feel. The apartment blocks are not that tall (not like the 8-10 storey Victorian mansion blocks of Victoria, Mayfair, Knightsbridge, Kensington, Chelsea, Holland Park, Bayswater, Paddington, Marylebone, Fitzrovia, Maida Vale, St John's Wood, etc). Some, like the ones below, are at best dull, at worst ugly:

The areas of London protected for their village feel are wealthy suburbs like Hamsptead and Highgate. No one finds central London villagey.

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
'Properly Urban' means congested narrow and filthy?Youre right wont find that in Munich. ;)
You can spin it all you like but you cant deny the fact that London is essentially a medieval town.It has no grand streets that can compete with Paris' or Munichs grand tree lined streets whatsoever.The ones considered grand such as Piccadilly and Fleet Street are just glorified alleys - two lanes and ridiculously narrow pavements.Pavements are so narrow that two people standing shoulder to shoulder can barely fit on them.In Munich pavements are so wide that half of them are cycle lanes.
Buildings in central London are on average three storeys high and the further from centre you go there less storeys you have.Indeed even in the zone 1 you can find bungalows (around Southwark for example).How ridiculous is that?Its a village through and through.Pretty in parts yes but ugly for the most part.The only good thing about London is that theres loads of opportunities here and of course some good modern architecture.

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice pics Greco. i visited munich 10 years ago, couldn't believe how clean and orderly it all was. it is an under-rated city for urbanity but feels more like a pleasant place to live than a vibrant place worth visiting.
Thanks a lot! :cheers1:

·
Londinium langur
10,293 Posts
'Properly Urban' means congested narrow and filthy?Youre right wont find that in Munich. ;)
You can spin it all you like but you cant deny the fact that London is essentially a medieval town.
No. It was the world's first true modern metropolis. No city in history had even exceeded 1 million (or at least by far) until London suddently grew to 2 million, 3 million, then 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.... totally unprecedented in world history!!
It has no grand streets that can compete with Paris' or Munichs grand tree lined streets whatsoever.
Paris and Munich don't belong in the same sentence when it comes to grand streets. Show me a single street in Munich that matches Piccadilly or Regent's Street.
The ones considered grand such as Piccadilly and Fleet Street are just glorified alleys - two lanes and ridiculously narrow pavements.... In Munich pavements are so wide that half of them are cycle lanes.
Grandeur comes from grand buildings, not the width of the street. The Mall is hugely wide with massive pavements but it's not especially urban in feel and texture compared to, say, Piccadilly or Fleet Street.
Pavements are so narrow that two people standing shoulder to shoulder can barely fit on them.
You do your argument no credit by absurd exaggeration. central London is my daily experience.
Buildings in central London are on average three storeys high and the further from centre you go there less storeys you have.
Rubbish. There is not a single district in central London where this is the case. Lying only makes you seem ridiculous.
Indeed even in the zone 1 you can find bungalows (around Southwark for example).How ridiculous is that?
Where? I haven't seen them! Southwark hinterlands are only debatably "central", but even if there are a couple tucked away somewhere, I actually think it's quite cool that Southwark could have such a contrast with a 310m tall skyscraper, and one of London's busiest railway stations. You won't find a mix like that in Munich.
Its a village through and through.
No, it's the biggest metropolis in Europe (debatable exceptions of Paris, Istanbul, Moscow), the world's first modern metropolis, and the most cosmopolitan place on earth.
Pretty in parts yes but ugly for the most part.The only good thing about London is that theres loads of opportunities here and of course some good modern architecture.
Wheras this kind of grandeur, the kind of grand urban architecture that defines London (as opposed to a medieval Mitteleuropa village like Munich), isn't worth a damn apparently: ;)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=36428076#post36428076

Someone's changed his tune big time. I should dig out some of your previous posts just for a laugh.... :laugh:

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No. It was the world's first true modern metropolis. No city in history had even exceeded 1 million (or at least by far) until London suddently grew to 2 million, 3 million, then 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.... totally unprecedented in world history!!
Well done good for you.The word there is - 'was'.It no longer is.Sorry.Its tired old town with ancient infrastructure that cant cope with the 21C.

Paris and Munich don't belong in the same sentence when it comes to grand streets. Show me a single street in Munich that matches Piccadilly or Regent's Street.
Street in the first pic or the one in night ones are better than your stuffy congested Piccadillies and Regents.Sorry.I love big open places.

Grandeur comes from grand buildings, not the width of the street.
It comes from grand buildings and the width of the street.London doesnt do width.Grand buildings?Yes sometimes.

You do your argument no credit by absurd exaggeration. central London is my daily experience.
Same here the difference being that your nationalism blinds you.

Rubbish. There is not a single district in central London where this is the case. Lying only makes you seem ridiculous.
Ridiculous.London is a low rise city.Deal with it.

Where? I haven't seen them!Southwark hinterlands are only debatably "central"
Then you dont know London that well and no not hinterlands quite central actually.Go look for it. :)

No, it's the biggest metropolis in Europe.
And ugliest and the most congested but youd better bring up some useless piece of history than accept it and do something about it.Indeed thats what Ive been arguing for all these years - give London a good clean.

Wheras this kind of grandeur, the kind of grand urban architecture that defines London (as opposed to a medieval Mitteleuropa village like Munich), isn't worth a damn apparently: ;)
Well as I said on average all buildings in London are 3-4 storeys and they are.

Someone's changed his tune big time. I should dig out some of your previous posts just for a laugh.... :laugh:
Wrong I always said London for the most part is ugly and it is.

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
Oh...please, stop it...not in every thread! Please, go and travel to Budapest together, you would have all the time to argue on the merit of Budapest and London!

El Greco, Nice photos as always, I like the effect given at the edges of the pics. Sorry, but I dont see what you feel or experienced in your pictures. I see pretty towns and cities but I fail to LOVE...should try Munich one day for sure! You aroused my curiosity! You also seem to be quite fed up with London...(you'll tell me on FB?)

I hope you have plenty more of country pictures! It looks stunning!

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thank you Manuel.Yes I do have a love/hate reliationship with London.Sometimes I absolutely love it sometimes I just hate it.
Unfortunately thats all I got but my friend hopefully will post his pictures.

Yes Monkey we should go to Budapest always wanted to visit it anyway just please leave your baseball bat at home. :)

BTW how was your Pyrenees trip Manuel?Seen any bears?

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
Who would return home and safe from Budapest between El Greco and Monkey? :D
On which forum do you friend plan to post his pictures?

No bears because no pyrenees yet! In less than a month hopefully!

What do you like most in Munich? do you think visiting this city in winter would provoke the same feelings to you? There's a kind of dullness...it's difficult to express but it's like Lyon...the homogeneity, cherished by some, is boring if you experience it for too long...

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On SSC hopefully.

I liked the feel of the place - the wide streets the public transport the architecture and the people.People there are very considerate and polite.My friend was buying beer in a shop and an old lady with a trolley full of stuff offered him to give up her position in the queue and told to go in the front.Another thing that I liked is that crime is very low.We didnt see a single copper or a German chav terrorizing people.Cycles too are left for the night unlocked and nobody steals them.Try doing that in London.It would be gone in 3 minutes. :D

Winter is rather beautiful in Bavaria.Especially in those cute little towns in The Alps so I guess Id feel the same even in Winter.

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
You're optimistic!...knowing a bit the Black forest which is not too distant, the insulation is even less than in London during the winter months...and places feel deserted most of the times.

I get what you mean...I dont know if you live in East London, but it's the case, I can imagine that Munich feels a lot safer. Strangely, this is not the case in France. Crime is not high either, but the feeling is different, a bit like in London. Velo'v (or call them Veli'b) are vandalised and street furniture need changing every 2 months or so in central areas as people neglect or destruct them.

We do let people jump the queue in France too! ...oh...but we don't queue! :D

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hate London winters they are awful though if we had snowy winters every time then I guess Id be stuck at home for most of the time since public transport would be down.

:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts