SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Munich is a great city indeed.Beautiful old town proper inner city wide tree lined streets great public transport etc.London compared to it looks backward and provincial.Theres no funny narrow streets or crescents or two storey Victorian garbage in Munich all buildings are at least five six storeys and well maintained yep even 60s tower blocks are well maintained!Public transport (S Bahn U Bahn Tram Bus) is fast modern reliable (no engineering works signaling problems or shit like that) and most importantly air-conditioned.In London for example only big shops and City offices have air-conditioners.Can anybody tell me why that is?The pavements in Munich are wide as well.Infact they are so wide that half of the pavement is reserved for the cyclists.Its a cycle city.
I do realise that all of this sounds like an all out attack on London but its really hard not to be critical of London after having seen such a great city as Munich.Indeed arriving back at Gatwick felt like Ive just landed in some 3rd World Country.The airport is tragic just tragic.Its hot (once again no air-cons) miles of dingy passageways leading to more passageways smashed lights missing ceiling panels here wires sticking out there.Munich airport on the other hand (which is of roughly the same size as Gatwick) is modern fresh and airy.Perphaps we should learn a thing or two from ze Germans?

We stayed in Munich for three days.The first one was spent walking in the city and drinking beer.The next day we rented a car and drove to The Alps - Hohenschwangau Ettal Oberammergau Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Innsbruck in Austria.Loads of interesting things there.The last day was again spent walking.
So now the pictures (there will be quite a lot of them - 80 so be patient and if something doesnt show up just hit refresh).

Munich

Hohenschwangau Area

Ettal

Oberammergau

On The Way To Austria

Innsbruck

The End

:)

·
Dietrich von Welschbern
7,328 Posts
I think it's one of the most livable "big" cities in the world. It's modern, it's cosmopolitan, but when you're there you feel like being in a small town, it's not aggressive, I mean.

·
since 2008
651 Posts
Great shots of absolutely beautiful places.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Amazing pictures, I absolutely love your style.

Only one point of criticism: A set of Innsbruck pictures without the golden roof??? :)

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys really appreciated. :cheers1:

Amazing pictures, I absolutely love your style.

Only one point of criticism: A set of Innsbruck pictures without the golden roof??? :)
Thanks.

Well we didnt even plan to go to Innsbruck it just happened - we were driving around Alps when we saw a road sign saying 'Innsbruck 50km' so we thought lets go!Since it was quite late we only spent couple of hours in the city so didnt see all the touristy things but still its a very nice city and we liked it.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Nice work! Looks like a great trip!

On Muenchen, it looks tidy and very pretty for a (large) German city but also a bit soulless. Maybe it's the cleanliness haha.

·
Registered
318 Posts
great pictures el_greco! you´ve got your very own style of photographing!
and don`t be so strict with london. it´s (of course) one of the most magnificent places i´ve been to! :)

·
planquadrat
10,311 Posts
Fantastic photos here.

Munich is an amazing city. An example to others of how a well maintained city should be! Certainly one of the best and most impressive cities I have been to.

·
Dietrich von Welschbern
7,328 Posts
Why "the end"? If you go on, there you find the Brenner Pass and Bozen/Bolzano!

·
Live in HD
2,820 Posts
I'm from Amsterdam silly;).

Besides Hong Kong might be all concrete but it has a soul.
Oh...the word "soulless" has two different meanings and I thought you meant that Munich is empty (not many people on the streets)...but you meant that it has no soul!?
This is just impertinent! :eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts