Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Buka Pintu
23,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Munich is a great city indeed.Beautiful old town proper inner city wide tree lined streets great public transport etc.London compared to it looks backward and provincial.Theres no funny narrow streets or crescents or two storey Victorian garbage in Munich all buildings are at least five six storeys and well maintained yep even 60s tower blocks are well maintained!Public transport (S Bahn U Bahn Tram Bus) is fast modern reliable (no engineering works signaling problems or shit like that) and most importantly air-conditioned.In London for example only big shops and City offices have air-conditioners.Can anybody tell me why that is?The pavements in Munich are wide as well.Infact they are so wide that half of the pavement is reserved for the cyclists.Its a cycle city.
I do realise that all of this sounds like an all out attack on London but its really hard not to be critical of London after having seen such a great city as Munich.Indeed arriving back at Gatwick felt like Ive just landed in some 3rd World Country.The airport is tragic just tragic.Its hot (once again no air-cons) miles of dingy passageways leading to more passageways smashed lights missing ceiling panels here wires sticking out there.Munich airport on the other hand (which is of roughly the same size as Gatwick) is modern fresh and airy.Perphaps we should learn a thing or two from ze Germans?

We stayed in Munich for three days.The first one was spent walking in the city and drinking beer.The next day we rented a car and drove to The Alps - Hohenschwangau Ettal Oberammergau Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Innsbruck in Austria.Loads of interesting things there.The last day was again spent walking.
So now the pictures (there will be quite a lot of them - 80 so be patient and if something doesnt show up just hit refresh).

Munich

Hohenschwangau Area

Ettal

Oberammergau

On The Way To Austria

Innsbruck

The End

:)

·
I Love Ice
2,456 Posts
Thanks. I have to agree - Britain can be a bit strange and not well thought out compared to Germany.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Did rather similar route last autumn. And loved it a lot!
Your pictures are wonderful. I love that there is not done perspective adjustment in many of them - hate the dogm that walls of the buildings should be straight in pictures. This is just natural, as photography should be:

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Did rather similar route last autumn. And loved it a lot!
Your pictures are wonderful. I love that there is not done perspective adjustment in many of them - hate the dogm that walls of the buildings should be straight in pictures. This is just natural, as photography should be:
Actually, no. Natural is straight, because with eyes we see vertical lines straight and parrallel, only cameras makes them sloping because photographing angles aren't perpendicular. There are cases when sloping angles looks really great, but they are rather exceptions.
But these pirctures are great, with unique style and atmosphere in them.

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Some great photography here. I was also amazed by how incredibly modern and advanced Germany feels at the same time managing to preserve the very essence of the old spirit (in particular those little towns like Ettal or Obermergau).

Another thing is the culture of the people. I have never seen such consideration and politeness of the people. Even when I was buying a bottle of cheap beer in Lidl some old lady with a trolley full of goods offered me to give up her position in the queue and told me to go in the front. When I told her "sorry, ich spreche Deutsch nicht gut", she told me in English, even though her English wasn't perfect either. Anyway, we had a very nice experience of Germany. I guess there is alot the Baltic countries could learn from it too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts