Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Munich is the capital of Bavaria, one of the most prosperous and pleasant cities in Germany and EU. I had a rather spontaneous trip and stayed in Munich for 3 days with a fellow forumer El_greco.

Besides Munich itself we did a 500km long trip around Alps (that included towns of Ettal and Oberammergau) and city of Innsbruck in Austria... hope noone will mind that I actually post photos from Austrian city in a thread about Germany (only a few though).

I will start with Munich first and then carry on with the rest just not to mess things up and keep it in order (as it always is in Germany :))

First batches of photos may look a little boring and not that exciting but please keep in mind that I tried to cover all aspects of the urban life in Munich and that includes streets, pedestrians, cars, buses, U-Bahn/S-Bahn, views from Olympiaturm... and even more cars at BMW Welt... some views of Autobahns and regular roads (including traffic signs) will be included as well for those who are into this stuff... so please keep tuned because everything will be posted here in well over 200 photos :)

P.S. I am a car admirer so please forgive for a disproportionally large amount of Audis, BMWs and MBs in my photos ;)

Before I start, my 2 cents of what impression of Munich and surrounding areas I have got. Munich is an incredibly pleasant and charming city which despite keeping its genuine traditional spirit is incredibly modern, efficient and adapted to the new days or urban development. I was especially impressed by the transportation system (both public transport and roads). I had that incredible feeling of "this is done right", "everything here looks better than elsewhere" or "this is how thing should be done"... the only other place where I had such a feeling was... Singapore. All in all Munich seems like a wonderful city most other cities can only look at with jealousness.

Historic skyline seen from the Bavarian Parliament building

A good quality lager (such as Warsteiner) is priced very reasonably and drinking in public doesn't seem to be "anti social" as it is considered in some countries. Which meant I had camera in one hand and bottle in another :)

The Bavarian Parliament

A typical view in the Altstadt (old town)

...and not so old

Many many more to come soon...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like your very last photo! I went to Munich on a biz trip but never managed to get an entire shot of the clock place like you did. Did you watch the clock performance? I forgot the name...Glucken..something.. haha, mein Deutsch ist nicht gut. Can I ask you what lenses/camera you used and how you took that last shot?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
"Glockenspiel" or (in the special case of munichs town hall "Schäfflertanz").;)

I assume you do have more photos of Bavaria, don't you?

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

@Xusein
Yes, Munich seems a very livable city. I think when it comes to transport and life quality perhaps there are no many cities that could match it. I'm quite surprised we don't get to see it that much here over SSC. Certainly one of the most underrated cities!

@RachelT
The lense I used for that shot is a wide angle 10-20mm which is why I managed to put it all in one shot. But they are probably the cheapest lenses of the kind (Sigma) ... I could not afford anything else ;)

·
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..
273 Posts
munich is a gem.

btw. the bmw x6 is an extremely huge battlecruiser (in real life), but looks proportionally smaller on photos, dunno why.

anyways... great car, great city, great pics!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Let me guess, it's either an Audi A4 2.0T with Sport kit or Audi S4 or RS4.
Audi A5 with sport kit (can't tell though if its a S5 or not).

To the OP: As a car-admirer myself, how are the E-class taxis like over there?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
^^
Erm, what do you expect? They're like every other E-Class, i.e. very comfortable.
There aren't much differences between an E-Class you can buy yourself and a taxi (except the colour, signs and taximeter). The driver is not separated from the rear like (according to my knowledge) in American taxis.

·
since 2008
651 Posts
It's a shame that bavarian cab drivers choose Mercedes cars over BMWs ;)

Thanks for the nice pictures.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Very nicely captured! i really like how you mix typical city views with seemingly random stuff like street signs, bikes or cars.. that even gives a better impression of the city.

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let me guess, it's either an Audi A4 2.0T with Sport kit or Audi S4 or RS4.
umm, it can't be audi A4 for one reason - all Audi A4's have 4 doors while this one obviously has less than that. So that is Audi A5 (or S5? I'm not an expert enough to tell)... Anyways A5/S5, in my opinion is by far the best looking Audi (except R8)... just soooo beautiful and sexy... and a little evil. The most recent A4 is also a stunningly beautiful car leaving MB C class and BMW3 faaar behind when it comes to sexiness and design. In fact, we rented one and traveled to the Alps and Innsbruck. It drives so nicely too. Audi all the way! :D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
It's a shame that bavarian cab drivers choose Mercedes cars over BMWs
Well, Mercedes used to be the monopolist for taxis in Germany (mainly because they were offering diesel engines before anyone else did and the cars are comfortable). But instead of taxi drivers, the Bavarian police almost exclusively uses BMWs... :D Only some interceptors are Audi and the vans VW or Ford.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts