1 - 20 of 313 Posts

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
this is one of the best metro system in the wolrd (or at least in Europe), it's fast, clean and the stations look great. it's my favorite one!!! i hope i could go to Muenchen soon to ride this wonderful U-Bahn!!! i hope they will extend 'my' line U4 towards Englschalking, even if they are considering if it is useful in order to replace the futere extention with a tram line. i wish they keep building that wonderful system.
i like the newest stations most. so inventive and interesting.

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Is the new C-stock becoming more common now? I stayed there for 2 months in 2004 and only saw the C trains once or twice, and only on one line.

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
Future plans

I found a future map....Munich seems to be the only city in Germany which is extending their subway network...

...Maybe someone from Munich could tell me which from this extensions will be buildt in the next years!?

The map today:

The future map:

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
neither the extension of the U5 to Pasing, nor the extension of the U4 to Engelschalking will be built within the next years. But both extensions are planned to be built later.

I am not sure about S7 extension to geretsried, there are still discussions about it.

Definately planned is the construciton of the second S-Bahn trunk line in the city center.

The problem with it are the extreme costs of around 1,8 billion € for the 45m deep and 6 km long tunnel. In your diagramm, S5 and S6 are using it to cross the downtown area.
But if built, more lines thant just these 2 will use it---we`ll see...

·
Metrophile
2,755 Posts
This is the most beautiful subway system in Germany. Combined with the S-Bahn, it provides one of the most efficient public transport systems in Europe.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Actually you can assume the link betwenn "Am Hart" U2 and "Fröttmaning" U6 as proposed.

To draw the S5 and S6 using the second S-Bahn city crossing ist very arbitrarily . The it is very uncertain how the fututre S-Bahn network will look once the second city crossing is completed.

And "yes" you will see C-Type trainsets very frequently on tracks. There are days where i just ride C-Type trains.

Although the density of the network is very high (you have to add light rail to the drawn map) the service off peak is too light.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
There are several proposed maps for the network layout with the future second tunnel. On the German wikipedia, you can find for example two:

This one shows the same proposion than the map above: A second tunel north of the existing one:

This one shows a proposed alternative using the existing railway connection between Laim and Ostbahnhof (nowadays used only by Deutsche Bahn
trains) south of the centre:

However, I also found a map of the whole transportation network (including S-Bahn, U-Bahn, tram, bus and BOB-trains):

·
LIBERTINED
46,541 Posts
I just love the subway system of Munich! It's modern, efficiently and it offers some really beautiful stations aswell. Also the trains are presentable... I'm jealous :colgate:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Between the U-bahn, S-bahn & trams the public transport system in Munich is fantastic compared to British cities. The system is clean efficient and very comprehensive. Alittle graffitti removal would make it perfect.

·
Super Moderator
16,200 Posts
Between the U-bahn, S-bahn & trams the public transport system in Munich is fantastic compared to British cities. The system is clean efficient and very comprehensive. Alittle graffitti removal would make it perfect.
The transportation system in Munich beats most cities of a similar size in the world. Munich has the best transportation system I've ever come across for a city of its size!

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,238 Posts
Munich metro is great!
:yes:
Very useful and beautiful, both things can be together in a metro system.
:eek:kay:

1 - 20 of 313 Posts