SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's something that really irks me about this press release. Liverpool gets the museum, which is obviously a good thing. But Manchester gets yet more media power. Their's is the big prize.

Basically we get a shiny new thing and they get the power to publicise it or not.

To the mongs down south it seems the North (and decentralisation to the regions) = Manchester. Tits.

Agency board announces major investment in the Northwest economy
20 April 2006


The Board of the Northwest Regional Development Agency (NWDA) today (Thursday 20th April) confirmed an investment of over £60 million in the Northwest economy, reaffirming its commitment to two of the transformational actions in the new Regional Economic Strategy.

The NWDA confirmed £32.7 million for National Museums Liverpool to develop the Museum of Liverpool, a world-class cultural facility within an architecturally striking building, located at the heart of the city’s World Heritage Site.

It also confirmed a further £30 million for the development of a Media Enterprise Zone in Greater Manchester subject to government and European Commission approval, which forms a key part of the BBC’s proposals to relocate a significant part of its commissioning and production to the Northwest.

Today’s decision marks a significant step forward for the two projects that will cement the Northwest’s reputation as a world class cultural and creative hub.

Steven Broomhead, NWDA Chief Executive said:

“The new Regional Economic Strategy identifies a number of key transformational activities that will drive forward the sustainable economic development and regeneration of England’s Northwest. We are therefore delighted to be able to support the development of the new Museum of Liverpool, which will significantly boost the cultural offer of Liverpool and the Media Enterprise Zone in Greater Manchester, which will become one of the primary media hubs in Europe.”
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,980 Posts
There must be something under pinning it Rudi.

We have to concentrate on building our own digital age media and developing the skils and support network that allows it to happen. Mersey Television and the success in the film shooting is a great base but we need to take this on.

Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toadboy said:
There must be something under pinning it Rudi.

We have to concentrate on building our own digital age media and developing the skils and support network that allows it to happen. Mersey Television and the success in the film shooting is a great base but we need to take this on.

Any ideas?
Well the problem is that we can't even think: 'Well they've got the beeb, let's work on gaining favour with Granada in terms of relocating to the city - but not only have they been on a Manc-bias for years, but it seems this 'media zone' with include them too.

It might sound small fish, but even having Richard & Judy being filmed at Albert Docks and showing off affluent Liverpool was a boon for the city and better than the current situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,956 Posts
I think were going down a similar route to Spain in some respects.

Madrid/Manchester: Business and financial hub
Barcelona/Liverpool:Arts and Cultural centrepiece

I know that its a generalisation (particularly with the recent manc NWDA grant, but it seems that the "regional" powers that be have ascribed fixed roles to each city, to benefit the "greater good" of the region.

I have mixed feelings about this, but my positive ones are due to my visits to both Spanish cities. Be in no doubt that Barcelona, in terms of business, gets its arse handed to it on a plate by Madrid. But I know which city I'd rather live in and which one has the vibe of a truly exciting place.

Just a thought as I while away the day. What does everyone feel about each of the spanish cities by the by?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Rudi said:
Well the problem is that we can't even think: 'Well they've got the beeb, let's work on gaining favour with Granada in terms of relocating to the city - but not only have they been on a Manc-bias for years, but it seems this 'media zone' with include them too.
Granada is so Manchester biased that it is beyond a joke. The sooner Merseyside/Liverpool Bay gets its own TV station the better, then they can run replays of George Best's goals for evermore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buggedboy said:
I think were going down a similar route to Spain in some respects.

Madrid/Manchester: Business and financial hub
Barcelona/Liverpool:Arts and Cultural centrepiece

I know that its a generalisation (particularly with the recent manc NWDA grant, but it seems that the "regional" powers that be have ascribed fixed roles to each city, to benefit the "greater good" of the region.

I have mixed feelings about this, but my positive ones are due to my visits to both Spanish cities. Be in no doubt that Barcelona, in terms of business, gets its arse handed to it on a plate by Madrid. But I know which city I'd rather live in and which one has the vibe of a truly exciting place.

Just a thought as I while away the day. What does everyone feel about each of the spanish cities by the by?
Oh Barcelona wins out every time!

In terms of culture and beautiful buildings we beat Manchester hands down (and we all know that Manchester has none of our warmth or soul) but I fear our finest creative talent will be heading for Mankyland to get work.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
buggedboy said:
I think were going down a similar route to Spain in some respects.

Madrid/Manchester: Business and financial hub
Barcelona/Liverpool:Arts and Cultural centrepiece

I know that its a generalisation (particularly with the recent manc NWDA grant, but it seems that the "regional" powers that be have ascribed fixed roles to each city, to benefit the "greater good" of the region.

I have mixed feelings about this, but my positive ones are due to my visits to both Spanish cities. Be in no doubt that Barcelona, in terms of business, gets its arse handed to it on a plate by Madrid. But I know which city I'd rather live in and which one has the vibe of a truly exciting place.

Just a thought as I while away the day. What does everyone feel about each of the spanish cities by the by?
Liverpool should aim to get as much as it can from everywhere, but aim for the arts, tourism too, as Liverpool is good on those aspects. Up until around 30 years ago Liverpool was still No. 2 financial centre in the UK. Liverpool should not be a part of apportioning the spoils and not even think of other places, juts get embroiled in itself and what is good for itself. About the only thing Liverpool should share with Manchester is the airports - a twin airport setup joined by a 15/20 minute rail link - as it would be beneficial to all.

Barcelona. The city that turned its back on the sea. The opposite to what Liverpool does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John-MK said:
Granada is so Manchester biased that it is beyond a joke. The sooner Merseyside/Liverpool Bay gets its own TV station the better, then they can run replays of George Best's goals for evermore.
:hahaha:

It is a joke isn't it! You watch Granada Tonight sometimes and feel as if you could be watching Anglia Tonight for all it's got to do with Liverpool.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Rudi said:
:hahaha:

It is a joke isn't it! You watch Granada Tonight sometimes and feel as if you could be watching Anglia Tonight for all it's got to do with Liverpool.
In the 1970/early 80s it was worse. It was so bad Mersey TV was attempting to hive off the Merseyside region as it was not served properly by Granada. The most famous British city in the world, after London, hardly ever got a mention. There wasn't even a studio here. Then Granada reluctantly decided to put the news at the Albert Dock. The news people hated it as they all lived around Manchester.

Then in 1977 when Man U beat Liverpool in the FA Cup final preventing a cup treble, Tony Wilson was openly sneering Liverpool city at the live homecoming of Man U.

Again, in 1985 Man U prevented Everton getting treble in an FA Cup final victory. Everton had clinched the title, then gone to Rotterdam and won the European Cup Winners Cup and few days later, very tired after Rotterdam, defeated by Man U (with a Liverpool manager) at Wembley – Everton’s feet had not touched the ground and no time for any celebrations until the season had ended, as games merged into each other.

So, in the Granada region two of their club’s had won three major honours, one European and the FA cup final was between two of its clubs too. Cause for great celebration no doubt, and a normal TV station would make a big thing of all this and laud the achievements of all the clubs concerned giving comprehensive coverage. So what do Granada do? Give 55 minutes live coverage of the Man U homecoming and 5 minutes to Everton – Everton won two superior competitions and were the defeated FA Cup finalist too. Talk about a sneer to the Merseyside region!!!! The sooner Granada gets the boot and Liverpool has its own TV station the better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
on northwest tonight yesterday they didnt even mention the fact that the money was granted to the museum project, they only ever mention when plans gets rejected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Yes John...I remember phoning Granada TV to complain about the coverage of the Man u homecoming - it was disgraceful. They told me that the programme was planned months in advance to cover the winning FA Cup team (whoever that would be) - but their attitude to Everton was disgracefull - and I'm a kopite.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
JCM said:
Yes John...I remember phoning Granada TV to complain about the coverage of the Man u homecoming - it was disgraceful. They told me that the programme was planned months in advance to cover the winning FA Cup team (whoever that would be) - but their attitude to Everton was disgracefull - and I'm a kopite.....
It was a sneer towards the city, not any particular club. If the situation was reversed, Granada soon would have made air time for Man U.

My sister at the time worked in TV in London. She said it is not worth sending letters to Granada, the Independent Broadcasting Authority was the people who matter. She also said it was an open secret in the TV industry of Granada’s anti-Liverpool stance, and Granada was so influential they seemed to get what they want. But if there was enough opposition from viewers of their own region the IBA would have to act.
 

·
Mmm, Danone
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Wait a minute, you get £2.7m more than Manchester does, it's towards a project that in the grand scheme of things has a hell of a better chance of 'going through' than the BBC move to our proposed media zone, and this is Manchester bias?

I really don't understand how this place works anymore.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,512 Posts
Nah, continue its hilarious!

As dgnr8 says you get more money and a museum we get something vague and STILL you complain!

Hats off!

You're right though if it wasn't for those pesky mancs hey? They spend all their time on Liverpool forums thus proving that all investment in Manchester is a conspiracy!

Shouldn't mancs be complaining because you have been awarded all the beaches and water front property in the North West....SOMEONE must pay!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Accura said:
The obsession with Manchester on this forum continues...
It is clear it's the other way around. No one is making you post here, or read the group.
 
1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Top