SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 470 Posts

·
Registered
12,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as people seem to want more non skyscraper developments there have been a number of new developments proposed for Farringdon St & the Smithfield area, some controversial.

Fleetway House on Farringdon St recieved planning permission a while back & involves extending the present post war building & building another 4 floors with an angled facade.

Present building

New proposal

Bath house is replacing a very tired looking post war block . A scheme by KPF was submitted some months ago.

Current building

Proposed KPF building

This building is currently being built on the foreground site of the last pic on Holborn Viaduct.

Smithfield market. Now this one is well known as it involves knocking down the Smithfield market buildings that front Farringdon St. The developers have submitted various KPF designed schemes. This is the latest. It is recommended for approval by the Corp of London. A PI decision on this site is due in the next few months.

Current proposal

You can see the current red brick building on some of the other images posted

Lastly - Another tired & run down post war building has had a planning application submitted to redevelop the site. This one is designed by Hamiltons Associates. Unfortunately I don't have an image of the scheme & Hamilton Associates website is still being developed (there may have been an image posted in the general London one in the last 6 mths )

Pic of the site of the Hamiltons site (to the left),the Smithfield site (middle) ,next to the Bath house site (right)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I really like the Fleetway House design - rather reminds me of what was done with the Hearst Tower, albeit on a much smaller scale. The other designs look rather mediocre.

·
BLAND
8,909 Posts
actually they should uncover the river fleet that runs down here and then we would have a nice canal type setting
I think the river Fleet is part of the sewerage system now!!!

Some nice projects there...thanks London Lad!

·
Registered
12,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice but its too tall for this location.Knock down few storeys please.
Its only marginally bigger than the present building. Sadly no developer is going to propose a building smaller than what is already built. Saying that out of all these schemes I like this one- Its an interesting facade.

I quite like the Smithfields scheme BUT for another site. I hope EH win this PI as those marked buildings give character to the area.They have already ruined Spitalfields don't let them turn this into another office block.

·
Better To Do Nothing
11,157 Posts
I felt myself starting to rage there when i saw the first pic

The building that is actually going to be demolished is a nice though, shame to see it go.

1 - 20 of 470 Posts