SkyscraperCity banner

501 - 520 of 590 Posts

·
4,114 Posts
I think Attack of the Clones with Hayden Christensen was the worst one.
That one is right there with PM but just behind it for me. The anticipation of the first Star Wars film in years had me at a fever pitch to then be dropped like a sack of potatoes when I saw PM opening night. At least I was ready for it with Attack of the Clones. I don't know who was more wooden, Christiansen or Jake Lloyd.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
4,114 Posts
So I went to the PAMM on Saturday and the park itself was pretty active. There were plenty of families around, bicycles being ridden, volleyball being played, and people just lounging about the field. Mind you the PAMM was free but still there was a line 3-4 people wide waiting to get in outside. Below are just a couple of photos I took with my Kindle.

·
4,114 Posts

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
SO Very True DeeDub:), Our SSC Friendly Family Miami Forum Friend :cheers:
^^The 1st Phase , All 5 Towers ( East Hotel, RISE and REACH Condos and the 2 Mid Office Towers ) of the Brickell CityCentre:banana: with the Huge 5 Floor MALL Connecting them all with Underground Parking for ALL will Be Completed almost a Year Before this Science Museum Is Completed and Opened Late Next Year, 2016 at the End for the Winter Tourist Season 2016 - 2017 For Sure IMO Only:nuts:

Wow, still a year and a half away from opening?
The Slowest Project I have ever seen to Go up only what ?? 5 Floors, Maybe 4 ?? Could Be 5 Floors, and Started 5 Years ago, WOW !!

Steve Started as a Miami Forum Moderator when This started,
REST IN PEACE Steve, The Science Museum should be Completed soon for you to See with Your Brother Jesus looking Over Us SSC Friendly Brothers and Sisters Miami Forumers who Love you and really Missed you QuantumX Of the Seas with His City Of Miami Cranes Always and Forever , Amen Steve !!

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
^^WOW Viper1165 :), Great Future Music in that Great and Fantastic Video, 15 Months from Now it should be Open to the Public by Labor Day , Next Year as Planned in 2016 By Christmas For sure , Open and Completed !! :cheers:

Viper1165, Our SSC Friendly Family Most Color Full Miami Photos Friend and Beautiful Photos of Miami and The Miami Herald Building Is GONE !! Fantastic ,

Rest In Peace Steve,

We Will Never Forget the Great SSC QuantumX !!

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
^^WOW ! , Will Be Over 4 and a Half Years of Serious 279 Million Private Construction Funds Spent On This Huge Miami Science Museum with No Taxpayers Dollars IMO Only, I Believe that's True !:cheers:
as Predicted by Many , a Late Summer , 2016 Should be Open and Fully Completed by LABOR DAY 2016 For Sure, It's going to be Very Close !! we'll see, and with No Hurricanes this year and I Hope No Hurricanes Next year , too, !!:cheers:
Rest In Peace Steve,
We Will Never Forget the Great SSC QuantumX, who has been watching this Museum Project since it started and He is watching it now get Completed by Late Next Summer for Sure Steve !!

Let's Go U of Miami Cranes in 2015 and Beyond Infinity !!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article32741046.html

The 1960s projector at Miami’s planetarium will retire with the closing of the museum’s old location

With more than a twinge of nostalgia, Bill Dishong, a 44-year Planetarium veteran, said there is one small drawback to the new technology.

“It doesn't make a realistic sky,” Dishong said. The digital projectors “can do all kinds of things, but it doesn't look like a real sky.”
Knowing a thing or two about projectors I can tell you this is because the analog technology, a light shining through holes in an absolutely opaque material gives a virtually infinite contrast ratio and as much brightness as you can push through it.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The old museum closed this weekend. Now what to do with the giant rotating globe. Anyone want to start a collection?

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/coconut-grove/article33292179.html

Miami science museum ponders future of iconic Pan Am globe

BY ANDRES VIGLUCCI
[email protected]

The giant, rotating globe of the world that for 55 years greeted visitors to the old Miami Museum of Science is one of the most recognizable historic artifacts in a young city without many relics — an iconic reminder of its halcyon early days of international flight.

But now that the museum has closed its old building for good, it’s in a bit of a quandary over the 6,500-pound painted steel globe, originally commissioned in the 1930s by pioneering Pan American Airways as the showstopping centerpiece of its landmark Dinner Key airboat terminal.

Museum administrators don’t quite know what to do with the cherished behemoth.

The globe, rescued by museum patrons six decades ago from the leaky storage shed where it sat rusting for nearly 10 years after the airline moved to what’s now Miami International Airport, was hoisted into its new South Miami Avenue home in 1960 while the building was still under construction, and before the roof went on.

That means taking it out now would require removing a chunk of the roof, then finding a new home that’s enclosed, air-conditioned and large enough — not to mention with a floor that’s strong enough — to hold the massive globe.

And that’s no simple, or inexpensive, proposition, museum officials say. Though things could change, they have no plans or funding right now to move the globe to the $300-million, high-tech new Frost Museum of Science they’re building on Biscayne Bay north of downtown Miami.

But, they say, they’re open to ideas.

“We didn’t realize how complicated it would be,” said museum director Gillian Thomas. “But we want to find a great home for it. We know it’s precious to the community.”
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...onut-grove/article33292179.html#storylink=cpy

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think it would be perfect in the new train station or at Miami World Center
Train station, definitely. Without the FEC, Miami certainly would not have become the booming destination it did to draw Pan Am and so many others in the first half of the last century.

How about at MIA?
Probably too spread-out among half a dozen terminals for enough people to notice.

·
4,114 Posts
Museum Park Conservancy Could Be Just the Thing

An idea to create a private conservancy to manage Museum Park is taking serious traction through its sponsorship by city leaders and the Miami Foundation, who are working to found a body that will manage the park much the way that Central Park is managed in New York. The conservancy would also be tasked with fully building out the park, realizing the elaborate designs conceived years ago by the original planners.
http://miami.curbed.com/archives/2015/09/25/museum-park-conservancy-could-be-just-the-thing.php#more

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Sigh....Even the fix means that when it does open the Museum will be operating on a bear bones budget without the expected yearly County subsidy. :bash:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article54413910.html

Miami-Dade works on rescue as Frost science museum runs short of construction money

-Frost officials could not secure donations and financing to finish construction
-County already has spent most of its promised $160 million toward the job
-Mayor Carlos Gimenez would convert promised future subsidies to upfront cash

The Frost Museum of Science has run out of cash to finish construction of its new downtown Miami home just 10 months before the scheduled grand opening, sending Miami-Dade officials into a tense scramble to design a rescue plan that won’t cost taxpayers any more than the county has already agreed to lay out for the ambitious project.

The issue, according to the office of Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez: The county has already spent virtually all the $160 million it set aside for construction, but the museum has been unable to secure a construction loan to complete the $275 million job because its private fundraising has fallen significantly short of its goals.

Though work has not been interrupted, it means that right now the museum lacks the cash to make a monthly payment of $5 million to $7 million due to its general contractor, Skanska, by the end of January, said Michael Spring, a senior advisor to the mayor who oversees parks and cultural affairs.

The Gimenez administration has devised what Spring described as a politically palatable plan that would convert a promised annual operating subsidy to the museum of $4 million, money that would be drawn from hotel and convention tax revenue, into an upfront payment of $45 million for construction. In exchange, the museum must agree not to ask for operating help for 20 years and to restructure its board of trustees to include seats for county and city of Miami administrators and elected officials. The plan would require the Miami-Dade County Commission’s approval.

The $45 million from the county, added to the $42 million in secured pledges to the Frost that are in hand so far, would be enough to finish the museum and its major exhibition galleries and components, which include a new planetarium and an aquarium, by the scheduled opening, county and museum officials said Tuesday, though exhibits and features on terraces and the building’s roof would be left undone, at least for now.

The alternative, Spring said, would be to halt construction at a point where the building is nearly three-quarters done, a step that would put the new museum’s future in jeopardy

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article54413910.html#storylink=cpy

501 - 520 of 590 Posts