SkyscraperCity Forum banner
41 - 60 of 262 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
Wish the Dar one had a unique or fancier exterior like this one..
Design is always about form and function, for now we need more of function than form. Looking at the development rate that the country has and is undergoing and the future outlook, the Dar airport is a temporary one; in the next 10yrs we will have no choice but build a new greenfield airport in a new location (there is no expansion room at the current one). So for now lets be happy with function as form has a price tag as well. The money is better invested in upgrading our smaller airport to make, as stated earlier "usafiri wa anga uwe kitu cha kawaida na sio ya matajiri wachache"

· Registered
714 Posts
Wow is really going to be like this!!??...
No mwanza airport wont be like this for the following reasons,
1. I saw this video long time ago and tried to contact the person/company to assure me if this is the real design passed by TAA, they didnt reply.
2. TAA have changed the design of two airports, dar and mwanza to make them more bigger than the first designs, If this is the design of mwanza there was no need to change it cause is big already.
3. According to TAA the new mwanza terminal will be as big as the the existing JNKIA or in other words the same capacity as existing JNKIA, but the design on the video shows the airport is more bigger than existing JNKIA.
4. according to Charles Tizeba, naibu waziri wa uchukuzi, the new design for this airport was due to be completed two or three months ago but this video has been on youtube for long time now,

BUT cannot rule out this design if the gov decided to go back for it.

· Serengeti
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yeah, Visit RwandaAir for nonstop flights from Mwanza.
Also Coastal aviation is no more flying to Jommo Kenyatta, They are currently using Kigali for connecting flights to Oliver Tambo Int. Airport-J'burg:cheers:
Soon there will be direct flights to Oliver Tambo Int. Airport & Dubai (FlyDubai) once the new terminal is complete.

· Registered
564 Posts
Dar airport is a temporary one; in the next 10yrs we will have no choice but build a new greenfield airport in a new location (there is no expansion room at the current one).
Ndugu Kijian,

I humbly beg to differ with your notion that there isn't any room for expansion at JNIA. I believe these slides from the Tanzania Airports Authority [TAA] are self explanatory.

I thought the current runway capacity was 30 aircraft per hour. Glad to note that this has been increased to 55.

Kitunda appears to have an open space near the airport's vicinity. Perhaps, it could prove useful in the future. [Image credit: Google Maps]

Possible runway expansion options.

TAA has already commenced planning for a new airport at Bagamoyo with an aerodrome reference code of 4F! :| According to ICAO, this implies the aircraft's wing span will be "65m up to but not including 80m".

· Registered
258 Posts
Ndugu Kijian,

I humbly beg to differ with your notion that there isn't any room for expansion at JNIA. I believe these slides from the Tanzania Airports Authority [TAA] are self explanatory.

I thought the current runway capacity was 30 aircraft per hour. Glad to note that this has been increased to 55.

Kitunda appears to have an open space near the airport's vicinity. Perhaps, it could prove useful in the future. [Image credit: Google Maps]

Possible runway expansion options.

TAA has already commenced planning for a new airport at Bagamoyo with an aerodrome reference code of 4F! :| According to ICAO, this implies the aircraft's wing span will be "65m up to but not including 80m".
Sort of confirms it there is a plan for a new location. From satellite photo to be able to expand further the railway line will have to be moved and anyway the city has overtaken the airport. Nchi yetu haina population density ya kulazimu airport kua mjini hivi. In future we will have enough money and traffic to justify a greenfield airport. I predict solid plans within the next 10yrs or before the next president ends his/her second term.

· Registered
564 Posts
TRIVIA...

This article was published on The Citizen's website on 21 December 2014 - four days after I uploaded a slide about JNIA's forecast. Could this be a coincidence? IF yes, then I'm glad that this forum is being read by our Fourth Estate.

We can therefore hope that at least some of our constructive criticisms that we present here could potentially be taken taken on board by the respective authorities.

It is estimated that air craft movement per hour at JNIA will double from 78,000 in 2013 to 154,333 in 2020 making the runway insufficient to accommodate such a growing demand.

In his presentation during the 2014 World Airport Summit held in September, Tanzania Airport Authority (TAA) chief executive officer Suleiman Suleiman said such forecast air traffic suggested the present runway would not provide sufficient capacity beyond 2020.

Source: Dar ‘4th worst airport’ in Africa, The Citizen http://www.thecitizen.co.tz/Busines...frica/-/1840414/2564692/-/qvxer1/-/index.html

· Registered
990 Posts
Thanks Rockycity:
More to come....

Chinese Investors Ink pacts to turn Mwanza into Africa's Shanghai
A Team of Chinese investors and the authorities in Mwanza, Tanzania's second largest city after Dar es Salaam, have signed memorandum of understanding for investments in eight major areas. The areas include tourism and agriculture, authorities said on Monday.

Halifa Hida, Mwanza city director, said among the major investments the city signed with the Chinese investors were construction of satellite cities in Luchelele and Igoma suburbs in a bid to improve wildlife and cultural tourist attractions on Saanane Island and the Serengeti National Park.

"The Chinese investors who visited the city were impressed by abundant investment opportunities found in the region," said Hida.
He said that the Chinese investors will cooperate with their local counterparts through the Tanzania Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (TCCIA) in implementing various projects in tourism, business and agricultural sectors.

Officials and business executives from Mwanza's sister city of Yangpu in China's Shanghai toured Mwanza last week and signed the pacts in the attendance of the city's top officials.

Hida said the Chinese investors' visit to Mwanza followed a tour of the region's officials to China in August this year.
"I believe Mwanza residents will benefit in terms of infrastructure, employment and investments from the just signed agreements," Hida said.

Ma Xiaohua, the chairman of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference of Yangpu, said he was impressed with Mwanza and its abundant investment opportunities and promised to work closely with residents and the authorities in implementing projects signed in the agreements.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN
http://www.ippmedia.com/frontend/index.php?l=75571

· Registered
564 Posts
Update: January '15

Summary:

• Runway to be extended to 3.8 km - it will be the longest in the country; followed by KIA (3.6 km), Songwe (3.33 km), JNIA and AAKIA (both 3.0 km)

• Phase I includes the extension of the runway by 500m, a cargo terminal, air control tower, taxiways and cargo apron, a car park, new terminal building for passengers, turning loops, connecting roads, taxiways, aviation fuel farm and drainage system.

• Phase II entails the construction of a parallel taxiway, strengthening of runway shoulders, construction of security fence, building a cold storage facility, a hotel, maintenance hangar and more connecting roads.

• At present, the terminal building has three lounges: Departures, Arrivals and VIP; and has a capacity for 200 pax at any given time. Annual throughput capacity 0.5 million pax. (It served 439,128 pax in 2013).

• The airport has been operating 24/7 since 17 July 2011

• The road from the CBD to the airport will be expanded to four lanes.
Source: Setting Pace for Improved Air Services in Mwanza by Ester Mwakyusa, Daily News http://www.dailynews.co.tz/index.php/features/40226-setting-pace-for-improved-air-services-in-mwanza

· Registered
990 Posts
Hivi Termnial builidng Construction imeanza,au itaanza lini?
Mara ya mwisho nilipotembelea site na kuongea na mmoja wa Chinese alisema kuwa kwenye ile render awali kuna mabadiliko. Mpaka sasa sijapata jibu la uhakika ni mchoro gani utatumika. Ila jambo ambalo wameconsetrate nalo kwanza ni Control tower ambayo wanamalizia na sasa wanaanza kushuka toka kilimani hadi huku chini kwenye site ya jengo la mizigo baada ya hapo Terminal building.

· Registered
2,657 Posts
Mara ya mwisho nilipotembelea site na kuongea na mmoja wa Chinese alisema kuwa kwenye ile render awali kuna mabadiliko. Mpaka sasa sijapata jibu la uhakika ni mchoro gani utatumika. Ila jambo ambalo wameconsetrate nalo kwanza ni Control tower ambayo wanamalizia na sasa wanaanza kushuka toka kilimani hadi huku chini kwenye site ya jengo la mizigo baada ya hapo Terminal building.
Yes I understand Pinda mentioned that the original design was Changed to make it as large as Dar Terminal 3.

So has anyone new renders for the bigger Airport Terminal Building?

:cheers:

· Registered
990 Posts
41 - 60 of 262 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.