SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!I visited Beijing from March 5th until March 12th. Finally I found the time to upload and post some pictures.
I won't write too much, although I would like to, because the time I've found isn't too much... ;)
What would I like to tell you anyways? I really enjoyed the trip, didn't have any bad experiences. All people I met were very nice, but a few were simply annoying. (Hello! Where are you from? Want a Rolex/Riksha ride/this is starbucks coffee/guide/I am a student and will move to cologne soon/Need postcards? No? How much did you pay? ohhh, way too much...) But that's okay, since many people are very poor there. I was pretty pissed sometimes anyways.
The town is IMO pretty ugly. But since there are sights like the forbidden city, the Lama temple (which was only the most beautiful of the many nice temples IMO), the nice parks, the summer palace etc. I would go there anyday again. I expected it to be more developed anyways.
Also the nice sights around Beijing like the ming tombs and the great wall (of course) are simply amazing.
I forgot to mention the great chinese food. Yieehaaa!

Okay:

Outside of the forbidden city:

Chinese still seem to love Mao. Now the Tiananmen Square:

Not far away:

Now the forbidden city:

Now again some random pics of Beijing. You'll see the great lakes in the north of the Forbidden City, the Drum and the bell tower. And the area around them.

One day we went to the summer palace, the great wall and the ming tombs:

One day we went to the heaven temple- on the way we checked out some shopping areas. The shopping street, in which also our hotel was located, was full of very expensive shops that sell western luxury goods and a few very cheap shops that sell chinese stuff (those were worth visiting. We got many nice souvenirs there). In the north of the Tianmen square there started a tight, dirty and not appealing at all shopping zone, where you could hardly see any tourists. Nearly everything you could buy there was faked stuff. Then there was a cheap eating district (we didn't taste the food, because it wasn't very hygienic there) and that was the only time, when I really felt uncomfortably (everyone was spitting on the ground, it was smelling bad, too many people for me. And I have no problem with people who want me to visit their shop. But I am getting angry if anybody grabs my jacket and tries to pull me in). Then we went across a street and suddenly were in a district that obviously was soon to be demlolished:

We also visited the Confuzius and the Lama temple: The Confuzius temple get renovated at the moment, so it wasn't too nice there, but the Lama Temple was honestly one of the most beutiful sights. Simply amazing and a must see!

Okay, I hope you liked my pics. As I said, I really enjoyed my trip. The sights were simply amazing.

·
China run fastly
228 Posts
you posted too many pics one time.
My pc can't display somel of them
you pics show a ture beijing
But ,you posted too much slums which are going to be replaced by new building or parks..

·
Whole Other Country
735 Posts
Thank you very much it is the best set of Beijing pictures , the pic display fine on my computer, Big China just need a faster connection (j.k.)

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,278 Posts
Sexas said:
Thank you very much it is the best set of Beijing pictures , the pic display fine on my computer, Big China just need a faster connection (j.k.)
The amount of pics slow my 3.4Ghz P4 pc down.

If he would post only 20 pics every day his thread would be very long on page one with more replies.

Okay to the pics.
NICE :D

You have been in Beijing one month before me. That`s cool. I would like to know more about the things you have done and seen.

Bereust du es auch das du vor den Olympischen Spielen in Peking warst? So gut wie alles wird da renoviert. So viele alte Sehenswürdigkeiten waren nicht zugänglich. Das hat ein wenig genervt. Falls es dich interestiert und du ihn noch nicht gesehen hast. Hier ist mein thread.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=339650&page=1

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigChina said:
you posted too many pics one time.
My pc can't display all of them
you pics show a ture beijing
But ,you posted too much slums which are going to be replaced by new building or parks..
Sorry about that! I am still a rookie...
I just took photos of everything I've seen. I even mentioned that this one not so nice are will be demolished soon. I am already looking forward to maybe see how Beijing will develop and look like in the future. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sexas said:
I am happy you like them!!
I have a 7mbit connection... But I've also just realized that my PC is slowed down...
Well at least, there's somebody who can see them all...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom_Green said:
The amount of pics slow my 3.4Ghz P4 pc down.

If he would post only 20 pics every day his thread would be very long on page one with more replies.

Okay to the pics.
NICE :D

You have been in Beijing one month before me. That`s cool. I would like to know more about the things you have done and seen.

Bereust du es auch das du vor den Olympischen Spielen in Peking warst? So gut wie alles wird da renoviert. So viele alte Sehenswürdigkeiten waren nicht zugänglich. Das hat ein wenig genervt. Falls es dich interestiert und du ihn noch nicht gesehen hast. Hier ist mein thread.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=339650&page=1
I am happy you like my pics! And thanks for the advice. That's a good idea to post only 20 every day. There are some more pictures I'd like to show, so this is good to know.

You're right! It was a real pitty, that there were so many things I (or we...) couldn't see, because of the renovation. It was especially annoying on the summer palace. But I don't regret that I didn't fly there after the olympic games. I still go to school and so couldn't afford such a trip without my parents. Well, and they wanted to fly now. And yes, I've seen your thread. I've also replied. I am sorry for what happened to you! Your thread was very interesting since there were many of those not very pretty young women who wanted to be our guides. Fortunately we didn't want to come with any, because we were on a "family journey" and wanted to be alone.

PS: Ich hoffe, dich stört nicht, dass ich auf Englisch antworte. Ich dachte, das wäre besser so als Neuer...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for posting those pictures ) i really enjoyed :) BTW. have you rented a car to go to Greatwall,,and how much it cost?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
coole said:
Thanks for posting those pictures ) i really enjoyed :) BTW. have you rented a car to go to Greatwall,,and how much it cost?
I am happy you liked them!

We got a car with a driver (that photo with the black Hyundai Sonata. The guy next to it was our very nice driver Simon). One day we rented a taxi to a location that wasn't far from our hotel, and while we were driven there we asked the driver, if he could drive us on one day to the summer palace (still in Beijing, but a bit outside), the Great Wall (about 60-70km away) and the Ming Tombs (about 40 km away, but we went there on our way back).
The driver was very nice, drove awsomely (Chinese driving style rocks!), the car was also great for China and guess what we paid for one day of beeing driven...
600RMB (about 60€). If you want to go there, I can highly recommend you to book such things from your hotel!
PS: I wouldn't rent a car because of three reasons: 1. A driver isn't expensive
2. Chinese drive like mad...
3. You don't understand the signs...

·
Registered
194 Posts
a real beijing
i am a chinese living in south,i have not been to beijing befor
but seeing these pics ,i am a little disappointed
the old builing looks so good,but the morden house are so so so ugly

·
China run fastly
228 Posts
yeah ...
the mood of the author are good...
i'm very happy to find this ...

though.Beijing is keeping changing at this time
it's not to be perfect in every way...

SO,if you come from the developed.
don't except too much.
we are not so good now,but we are try our best to do good in the future

i think 2008,beijing will amazing someone who have been beijing 3 years ago

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am happy you like the photos!

@Dongfangen: I don't think you would be disappointed if you went there. Of course the old buildings are more beautiful than the new ones; and the new ones can't compete with the buildings in Shanghai, I think. But there are several nice high buildings, often with a chinese style roof. And they are definitely nicer than the commie blocks they replace IMO.

@bigChina: Since you see cranes and construction sites everywhere, even at historic sights, I am sure you are right! I must go there again somewhen.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hey thanks for sharing your pix! I was in Beijing in January... my pictures look very similar to yours, we went to many of the same places. I even think I walked down that street where are the buildings are being demolished.

I think its sad that so many of these historical districts are being razed however... Although they are dirty and decrepid now, they could be very nice if renovated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts