Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beggar

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day of the year in City Daily Photo community is a day when everyone posts his/hers blog's best picture of last year. Help me to choose which picture I should present as my best one of 2011.

There are 10 my chosen options in the poll and additional pictures. If your favorite is some of the additional ones, please let me know about it by comment.

Mouse's perspective

Modern patterns

Evening in Madrid

Dancing striptease at 2 bars

Beach at night

City in her eyes

Madrid Metro Matrix

God's painting

Wannabee

Beggar

Other candidates (write in comment to vote):

Full moon skyline

Railroad skeleton

Mystical ink tub

Lake street

Fenced skyline

Boiled egg and coffee

Autumn basketball

Classic urbanity

Highway of clouds

He lost his head because of she...

Sunset over centre

Lonely traveler

Halo effect

On the way back home

Ship's leaving

Boxing hall

Dream is collapsing

City skyline in winter sky

Riga cocktail

Lielupe delta

Jonathan Livingston

Walking

Giant swan

Three musketeers

On the other side

Neighbourhood scene

At work

Botanical garden

Urban transport

Golden road to sun

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Holy cow, this must be one of the best thread's I've seen here for a while! Can't decide, so many excellent ones here! :dunno: So, I'm not voting yet.

Obviously it's not Evening in Madrid. No doubt the picture is very good, but you sure have more personal and unique touch when photographing a city that is more beloved and familiar to you personally – and it shows. Plus, as for me, Riga is clearly more exciting than Madrid.

Classic urbanity caught my attention at first. It's simply spectacular. :drool: I was already giving my vote to that one, but then I saw the Boxing hall and almost changed my mind. The latter has genius composition: the angle and rhythm of the stairs... in a way it's almost hypnotic. :)

Now, for me it's a flamewar between the two.

My favourite runner-ups:

City skyline in winter sky has sweet winterish atmosphere and offers very fresh/unseen angle to Riga. This must be how the city's silhouette appears to fair share of its real citizens – from distance, probably as seen from a 8-storey Soviet era block. :) Neighbourhood scene and Three musceteers have nice "a bit rough and rugged yet familiar and warm" atmosphere to them. The former one is probably better being more one of a kind as a photo; cat's are already quite a photographed subject.

Autumn basketball, Railroad skeleton and Walking are all excellent detail close-ups with good ideas, but I'm not sure if they'd work that well as single photos. They are at best as additions to a bigger series of pictures (as in here), but harder to imagine as framed, single and "independent" compositions. Yeah, I may sound odd, but dunno how to say this better.

A few critical words, though – chill with the Photoshop (this goes only for Beggar and Wannabe). It's a matter of taste of course, but IMHO good pictures don't reguire that much editing afterwards. Not that you'd be a Photoshop-fouler or anything – many of those would get even a bit better with some more (controlled) Photoshopping.

Obviously many pictures I didn't even mention would deserve a few words, but I have to stop now. Let's just say that you have sense of visuality and have the right curiousity to see things in more creative perspect. Looking forward to see more in the future! :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks, Jape, for a deeper analysis of my photos! It's always good to read reasoned opinions.

As it goes for wannabee, the original picture looked like this (as camera can't focus 2 objects in different distance):

I decided it's better to add the focused version of the tower, because it's important to see the tower's rooster to read the message.

·
9,071 Posts
Many great,outstanding photos. It was really hard to pick from them. But after some painful selection...

Lake street - great colour & composition.
Fenced skyline - again,great colours. Unfortunately Preses Nams,which doesn't have any exterior or interior lighting,ruins this pic.
Ship's leaving - great composition,great ship company ;)
Riga cocktail - my favourite photo. Can't say that it's easy to capture architecture expanding over so long timespan on a close-up photo. I mean damn...it's only missing Riga's medieval architecture! :D

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
As it goes for wannabee, the original picture looked like this (as camera can't focus 2 objects in different distance):

I decided it's better to add the focused version of the tower, because it's important to see the tower's rooster to read the message.
Ah, then I didn't get the message in the first place. :doh: Yeah, must have been challenging to get them both captured sharply. As a photo I prefer the one with blurred tower, though. Too bad the photo looses it's trick/idea in it.

Anyway, just noticed that none of my favourites were poll options (there's apparently a limit or something), so I ended up to God's painting.

·
DoM
954 Posts
Many great photos, too hard to choose. :) But as always I'll have to mention the huge size of your photos, 780KB for that Madrid photo? I bet I can optimize it to take less than 390KB (less than twice smaller) and you would not even recognize which one is better. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts