Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
history craver
569 Posts
Wow!! Great pics of Charleston!! :cheers:
I was there last month and walked around and visited many of the same areas shown in your pictures. Love those colonial 3-story homes with the porches and courtyards :banana: Definitely one of the South's jewels!

·
history craver
569 Posts
When I went to Charleston, I didn't see any sprawl outside the city. Maybe I wasn't in the right spot. I was like bees ferry road or something like that

I know...I was down there last month. You can see in these pics just how walkable and bikable Charleston is.
I don't know what g-man is talking about either. The "sprawl" outside of Charleston is really not that bad; at least compared to most cities.
The surrounding islands are all connected to Charleston city with bridges and bike and ped paths from what I remember. I remember that huge bridge has a bike/ped path from Charleston to Mount Pleasant; which is right there as part of the Charleston metro. I think Charleston does a MUCH better job with sprawl and bike/ped paths than most cities and metros.:cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're downtown. Once you get out of downtown, Charleston has some of the worst sprawl you have ever laid your eyes on. :puke: I've seen it first hand. Great pics by the way. :eek:kay:
I don't really think the sprawl is so bad. Yes, North Charleston is, but there are nicer suburban areas.

When I went to Charleston, I didn't see any sprawl outside the city. Maybe I wasn't in the right spot. I was like bees ferry road or something like that

I know...I was down there last month. You can see in these pics just how walkable and bikable Charleston is.
I don't know what g-man is talking about either. The "sprawl" outside of Charleston is really not that bad; at least compared to most cities.
The surrounding islands are all connected to Charleston city with bridges and bike and ped paths from what I remember. I remember that huge bridge has a bike/ped path from Charleston to Mount Pleasant; which is right there as part of the Charleston metro. I think Charleston does a MUCH better job with sprawl and bike/ped paths than most cities and metros.:cheers:

I'm actually gonna have to agree with G-man on this one. Once you leave that downtown "city" area...Charleston's sprawl gets bad and it's metro areas sprawl is probably the worse in the state. No it's not Atlanta or Charlotte sprawl but it's still not desirable. The reason why some don't notice is because some of the sprawl just runs together...and you get distracted by the scenery. I know what i'm about to say will focus more on the surrounding area, but it still is a part of Charleston. Look at roads like Rivers Ave and Ashely-Phosphate...they are wide and full of sprawl. Those roads are so wide in places that i've seen people afraid to try and cross the streets and N. Charleston's sprawl is getting worse and worse with outlets and etc in that area. Even Summerville is getting it's sprawl headaches in full pulsate. I remember being on N. Main St there just trying to go a couple of miles to West 5th N st. and it took me 30min. to get there. I was in West Ashley going to the Citadel Mall and that area is nothing but sprawl. Sam Rittenburg is another wide sprawled out road in that W. Ashely area. Savannah Hwy [US 17] is so wide and full of traffic that i wouldn't even dare try to cross it on foot again. I was there with my girlfriend staying at the "Town and Country Inn" and we tried to go across the street to the bowling alley...we didn't have any luck so we had to get in our car and drive there. :eek:hno:
Sonofaque Bee Ferry is basically in the West Ashley area and give it 4 to 5 yrs and it will be sprawled out also.

Don't get my rant about the Charleston area sprawl fool you...i love the city and i think it truly is very beautiful, scenic and charming. But i can't front like it isn't without sprawl, traffic congestion and bad suburban planning. All i'm saying is "that bad" is a cop out...Atlanta's sprawl isn't "that bad" when you've been to Los Angeles...but it's still bad.....[but keep in mind that all sprawl isn't bad...but Chucktown has some bad sprawl].

·
8,235 Posts
Have you ever been to North Charleston or driven on Highway 17 west of downtown? :puke: Mount Pleasant is sprawl on top of more sprawl. I used to go down there every year so i've seen it first hand. Don't worry snookums. I'll bring you back to reality that this is the south and sprawl exists everywhere. :hug:

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
Haha. I live off Bees Ferry Road. Dorchester County has some of the worst sprawl in the state. However, much of Charleston County has regulated its development, and, in my opinion, in a better manner than other places.

As bad as Sam Ritt and Savannah Highway are with sprawl, it is still not as bad as many places.

Ashley-Phosphate and Rivers Avenue suck--I hate both of those roads with a passion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts