Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the Sunday Telegraph (don't slain me for that.) and In the Travel section every week would have a section where someone was interviewed (Actor,Journalist,Author,Poet etc.) about a particular favourite City/Town and would answer the following questions:

Why (insert-city-name-here) ---why did you pick this place?---

What do you miss most while your away? ---self explanitory---

What's the first thing you do when you arrive?--- an example would be; Hit the old town by the river then go to the theatre, as opposed to; Get past those rude customs people at the airport. ;)

Where's the best place to stay?

Where would you meet friends for a drink

Favourite place for lunch?

And for Dinner?

Where would you send a first time visitor?

What would you tell them to avoid?

Public transport/Taxi/Car? ---to get around town---

Handbag or moneybelt? ---How safe is it? but honestly who wears a money belt...:nuts:

What should i take home? ---Souvenirs etc---

And if I've got only time for one shop?

Thought it might be a good idea for a moderately pleasing thread...
Answer as many Questions as you see fit. (although more than 3 would be helpful :)

·
1. Bunkrołaz IV RP
36 Posts
Why Wrocław?
I'm lived in Katowice, Poznan, Tomsk and few smaller cities, but Wroclaw is just the best. I love the town's architecture and people who's living there, many of them are very helpful and happy. It's nice to see pelasant, smiling people. And of course I'm very intrigued of town's war history. For now I'm explorng Wrocław/Breslau's fortifications.

What do you miss most while your away?
The real nice mood in city. It's one of few polish cities, where real living is started before evening. There are lot of places when I love to come and meet new, interesting people.

What's the first thing you do when you arrive?
Go to see my new flat in GAJ district in 11th floor block. :)

Sometimes I'm a recluse, so I love to be in deserted ruins like old trainstation Guetterbahnhoff Ost. (Dworzec Towarowy Wschodni) closed in 80's. But usually I like to take a walk around the old-city.

I prefer few of pub's in centre like "Stare Miasto" (Old Town) on a Wlodkowica street. There are nice town's historical climate.

I'm very rarely go to restaurants, so I'm usually eating in "Piramida Steakhouse" on Wita Stwosza street or "Petra Gyros" on Legnicka street. There's cheap and very tasty food.

In the old-town, especially town's market in afternoon and evening. In afternoon he can see some art showing in the centre, galleries and lot of street's mimes or buskers. In the evening he can feel the unbelievable climate of the city.

"Przedmieście Oławskie" and "Brochów" disctricts, there aren't so safely..

Public transport/Taxi/Car?
I'm advising against travel by car in Wroclaw in most traffics' hours, because there are lot of traffic jams. For that I'll propose a bicycle or take a round by tram.

Handbag or moneybelt?
Usually there are so safely, but in public transport, trainstatons or few districts I would like to take a big big eye for your cash.

What should i take home?
The symbol of Wroclaw is a friendly dwarf "Wrocek". It's looking very friendly and will be nice decoration :)

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh a reply! my most succesful Thread ever!:banana: :|
Guess i'll throw in my two cents...

Why Bristol?Ignoring the Fact I live here, then it would have to be the fact that The Place is really starting to come into its own and apart from Being right next to Bath (a big plus), it makes an excellent base to explore the surrounding countryside (such as the cotswolds and Somerset).
I like the city easily balances between Laid back and being Busy and Comopolitan.
What do you miss most while your away?
Just the overall City-scape.
What's the first thing you do when you arrive?
Just Go to town and wander around.

If your Willing to Splurge then the Hotel Du vin, The Royal Marriott or Berkeley Square Hotel.

The Victoria Square Hotel in Clifton is good for those with medium-Precious budgets.
Or The ever faithful YHA on the Harbourside.

Bristol is brim full of Pubs and bars, but although it can be a tad over popular at times the Old Duke(a Jazz and Blues Pub) on King street or the King william which is on the same street.

One Stop Thali in Montpellier Or Teohs in St Pauls are some usual haunts of mine but may be too far for casual visitors,
The best place maybe to just look around The Clifton village or Cotham Hill (which is Just off Whiteladies Road) and see what takes your fancy.
Although Obento on Baldwin street is a good place for Japanese.

And for Dinner?
Mazati on small street or kalabash on Cheltenham Road if you like African or Middle eastern food.
Gloucester Road and Whiteladies Road are where you'll find the Bulk of the City's restaurants however it can get busy so its best to find one before hand and book ahead.

Without a doubt you should go to Clifton and view the suspension Bridge and admire the architecture of the neighbourhood especially the crescents,
and then Down to the harbourside

The area around the Centre on a friday or saturday night if you aren't too keen on seeing Rowdy Drunk behaviour, also the neighbourhoods to east such as St pauls, Stokes Croft and Easton at night should wary some caution.

Public transport/Taxi/Car? Walking (albeit a rather "healthy" one considering The Steep Hills) is by far the best bet as most things are well within walking distance, but also because Bristols public ransport is dire by western standards and the traffic is Chronic in some areas.
But with that said a bus is probably helpful when travelling to places such as whiteladies Road or the Downs common, and a Taxi is the

Handbag or moneybelt?
The Usual Safety tips andUnless you plan on visiting The rough areas of town (of which most you're very unlikely to just randomly step into) and parade your belongings then you should be fine, But the East side (easton ,St pauls) should be avoided if travelling on your own at night.

What should i take home?
Bristol Blue glass (a deep dark blue colour) makes a great souvenir if you can make the trip to Brislington, or try buying one of the local Ciders (the west country make the best Coidur! ooh arrr!)

And if I've got only time for one shop?
St Nicholas Market (which is all weather) Just off Corn street is a very charming area and you should go here just for that.
Or The Bar Chocolat for Chocolate lovers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts