SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here are the rest of the pics from my 3 weeks in Melbourne. I won't post many (if any) of the ones showing off Rialto Towers (or the views from there), Eureka or MCG because these have all been posted in the relevant threads. I'm not going to post all the pictures at once either cause it would probably melt your hard drives. I'll probably be asking questions about certain pics as well........I'm still a bit in the dark about this toilet block in Docklands, it was kind of explained to me on the Melbourne random picture thread......anyway, here are some pics starting with the toilet.

And a few more from round Docklands including The Cow in the Tree

·
Registered
495 Posts
great pics! the cow in the tree 'is' just a random peice of art like many others around melbourne... on that note, i noticed another stand with six MCC Smarts stacked up [second last picture, just off collins street] :) is that art or advertising?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Smileyface said:
Is there any story behind The Cow in the Tree or is it just another random piece of modern art.
Great shots, thanks Smiley!

Here is a some interesting information about The Cow in the Tree from the docklands website:

"This intriguing work has a water-based thematic connection to Melbourne Docklands. Many years ago, a violent flood swept up herds of cattle in the Gippsland area of Victoria before subsiding and revealing the carcass of a cow stranded at the top of a tree. At 5 tons of bronze and 8 metres high, Cow up a Tree creates a surreal experience.

The work also makes reference to Australian artist William Dobell who, during World War II, served as a camouflage labourer and worked on papier-mache cows that were moved around the base of airfields in the hope of fooling Japanese pilots. The artist contemplated what would happen during a flood on Dobell’s airfield."

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eeeeZeeee said:
Great shots, thanks Smiley!

Here is a some interesting information about The Cow in the Tree from the docklands website:

"This intriguing work has a water-based thematic connection to Melbourne Docklands. Many years ago, a violent flood swept up herds of cattle in the Gippsland area of Victoria before subsiding and revealing the carcass of a cow stranded at the top of a tree. At 5 tons of bronze and 8 metres high, Cow up a Tree creates a surreal experience.

The work also makes reference to Australian artist William Dobell who, during World War II, served as a camouflage labourer and worked on papier-mache cows that were moved around the base of airfields in the hope of fooling Japanese pilots. The artist contemplated what would happen during a flood on Dobell’s airfield."
Cheers for that. After my visit I'm interested in everything Melbourne, though I'm still a bit mystified by that toilet block.

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple more skyline shots. This one was taken from The Shrine the day before Anzac Day. I was planning to revisit the same spot on a sunnier day but just never got round to it unfortunately

This is actually taken from a terrace on the side of MCG and has probably one of the strangest reflections of Eureka you'll see.

·
Lord Melbourne
4,243 Posts
The Graffiti, i odnt know the full story, but a few years back (like 10+ i think) got into the old power station, and climbed the chimmny, and well spread their 'peace message' and well it should of been torn down before that happned, but its full of Asbestos.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Drunkill said:
The Graffiti, i odnt know the full story, but a few years back (like 10+ i think) got into the old power station, and climbed the chimmny, and well spread their 'peace message' and well it should of been torn down before that happned, but its full of Asbestos.
Not sure about all of the graffiti, but the bit in Smileyface's pic is only a couple of years old - there's a news article here:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/04/1062548968980.html

...and a short video here:

http://real-media.f2.com.au/media/2003/09/04/12728_7.rm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts