SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I caught a falling star
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..to talk about doing something.

I know it's been tried and there were difficulties getting, and keeping, momentum in amidst some interpersonal murky murk etc etc, but the defining feature of this forum, I think, are two duel forces: one of immense potential, and the other, of utter frustation, ultimately resulting in this- fun sometimes, diverting occasionally, but, arguably, a slight waste of energy, and of talent.

Seemingly tedious disagreements or differences via internet messages are, I believe, a real problem of the medium, not of the debate- in other words, the level of thought and the energy different contributors bring to the essential topics we discuss here, would, in real life, result in some really valuable understandings and advance- perhaps energising the likelihood of some constructive channelling of those ideas into action.

I don't however believe repeating the mistake of attempting some quasi-official-style "organisation" via the internet (such as the attempted 21CLiverpool) has any future whatsoever- for now at least.
These are all-encompassing set-ups requiring 24-7 committment, wages and proper interviewing.

None of us are really in a position to commit to unpaid, time-consuming, enthusiast work I would imagine.

However, (and I don't want to sound condescending) it doesn't require much to make a noise in Liverpool. Wayne's essentially created a one-man phantom pressure "group" after all, so I don't see how a collection of individuals can't work out some ways of gaining a public voice and debating space on some of the issues we attempt (inconsequentially, I'd argue) to do on here.

Really, I'm just talking about a drink or two, some great conversation, and perhaps working something manageable out (or not) from there. No expectations, no arbitrary committeeing, just a chilled pooling of ideas.

I'd love to hear a debate between Baboo, GV, Tony, Awayo, Martin, Tom, Tony and whoever else...I think it'd be a great thing.

Thoughts? Could we envisage something in, say, a months time?

Of course, the eternal problem for internet-initiated events is that, naturally, real-life takes over and people start to drop out a couple of days before the event, so with that in mind, who reckons they'd be interested?

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I'd be up for meeting, supporting something now, and then maybe getting involved more in 09!

Ther IS too much of value in our collective nous to continually waste just rambling on this forum. A few of those ideas (and some others) you mention VT have been taken up by some worthy folk, but they are always left to run with it... so anythign fruitful will have to have a more collective commitment from the off?

Good one

·
Liverpool, England.
12,279 Posts
I think thats a great idea Villiers. I would really like to meet you and some of the other forummers. We've only had one meet up so far this year, so I don't think we're exactly getting deluged with them.

·
Fiat Lux
7,598 Posts
I agree and suggest suspending all expectations/agendas!

It is easy to get noticed in Liverpool - the Echo in particular will print anything and Radio Merseyside loves to talk to anyone with an axe to grind. Getting people to work together towards a common aim, especially when there are divergent viewpoints about the way to go seems, in my experience, more difficult than, for example, London where there is at least more of a culture of being seen (at least on the surface) to be working together towards a common aim. Wayne is more the norm not the exception. What makes him different is that he can't be arsed to set up a website. Whether it's local publishing, websites for x & Y, culture sites, business sites, mayoral campaigning sites, whatever - it's usually one opinionated Liverpudlian (with three or four mates) behind it. We seem to thrive on 'factionalisation' and resistance to change both of which are so obviously counter-productive but that's how it is and I suspect it always will be. Perhaps the trick might be making this tendency towards factionalisation as adaptive as it can be but I suspect people enjoy it too much to completely change it. Maybe we should celebrate it?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm up for meeting everyone. I owe ssc'ers a lot as it was looking on this forum while I was at uni that got me into development. Look forward to hearing more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts