SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here's the pics i took in leeds, well some of them. i'll do the sky plaza views in a different thread to this one and i still have to finish the 22000 pixel long panorama of leeds that i took that has *everything*

much thanks to wiggleyleeds for being the chaffeur for the skyline pics, i'll post those in another thread later :)

weather wasn't great, at least at first, but we actually had photography light to die for in the evening as can be seen from some of the pics. also managed to lose my circular polarising filter somehow. oops. that means no deep blue skies here but it was actually a nice change to not use it. i feel it's added a bit more variety to my work to be honest and i'm quite pleased with that.

having seen broadcasting place in decent light now rather than it pissing down with rain i really like this building

cladding varieties

apparently the owl is the symbol of leeds.

i spotted a place called the electric press, just like on here. tried to get it in but failed.

this is as good as opal 3 will ever look... meh

sky plaza... more on this one later. nice strong vertical lines in it anyway and it's rather better than opal 3.

bridgewater place from the station. great light by this time but i had to go home and besides my camera had gone flat. edit - shit, i just realised it's got lights reflected in it. will kill those tomorrow.

·
( rolling pin )
2,015 Posts
Great pics. I love the atmospheric skys'n lighting too. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice photos gothic, how's your impression of leeds now, is it changing or still pretty similar? Did you like Millenium Square? (nr. the Electric Press)

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
It's often quiet around The Electric Press in the day, but I love it at night. The uplit tower really adds to the atmosphere. Perhaps a taste of whats to come at HUV?

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's an ok area i guess but nothing special. the mandela garden makes no sense because you cannot walk straight from the square into it even though the design would trivial to do, instead they have an inexplicable wall. you also have the use of hard paving in the square itself, no landscaping. its a pity as it's an extensive space that's just... boring.... an oversized patio. they should bring in a landscaped architect and use the space properly.

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
Millennium Square was never intended to be a relaxation space, but an events space. The large open space is needed for events like IceCube the Christmas Markets, concerts or big screen events.

It is for that reason that there is a divide between Mandela Gardens and the rest of the square. On the platform where the round tower is next to Haha is where the stage goes, and where the entrance to the underground facilities are. If there was no wall there, Mandela Gardens would have to be closed when an event was on.

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
seems a bit illogical what is possibly the largest open space in the city is underused like that and its uses are dictated by a minority of days but that does explain some things. i was totally confused as to why mandela gardens were separated the way they are.... trafalgar square is also used as an event space though and isn't just one big open space. anyway thanks for explaining.

i feel leeds city centre needs to get rid of some roads like sheffield has and then let the city breathe a bit more. they also need to sort out the connections between north and south bits of leeds that the railway station cuts in half. took me and wiggley a good five minutes to drive 100m south the way the crow flies simply because there are no direct routes. as they build more and more to the south of the station this is going to get worse.

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
Millennium Square is well used in the winter- there are few days when something isn't happening (bearing in mind the Christmas Markets and Ice Cube take up a good few months).

In the summer though it is less used. There are lots of outdoor eating areas for the bars and the odd event now and then- the focus for seems to move from Millennium Square to the riverside in summer.

I don't know the logistics of putting on an event in Trafalgar Square but I could imagine it would be a nightmare. Millennium Square has been designed for events- it can be all closed off very quickly and easily for ticketed events. The sound/lighting tower is already in place, as are areas for the media and backstage areas.

Before Millennium Square, most of it was a car park. There were some gardens infront of the Civic Hall. It was a pity to lose the gardens, but at the same time we gained one of the most advanced outdoor spaces in the country.

When the council can secure funding for the redevelopment of Victoria Gardens, I will be hoping for the relaxation space and gardens that were lost through the development of Millennium Square.

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes. lol. i thought "oh it's faint, no one will notice". that guy walking in the foreground did appear three times!

·
Registered
271 Posts
As someone who gets into the city centre rarely these days, I can hardly recognise the place nowadays. So many big buildings put up, including that hidious Broadcasting Place that they cannot even afford to paint by the looks of it. It's easy to get lost there now.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
...So many big buildings put up, including that hideous Broadcasting Place that they cannot even afford to paint by the looks of it....

Well, doesn't that show there's no accounting for taste? :eek:hno:

I think the Broadcasting Place tower is the best high-rise to have been built in Leeds.

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
Broadcasting Place looks great from all angles apart from the one actually facing the city centre.

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
I wouldn't say it's the best- I think Bridgewater Place and Clarence House are better. I have high hopes for Granary Wharf's Candle House too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts