Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's an interesting looking Wegmans.
Yeah, that's got to be the world's oldest Wegman's. It's the only large grocery store in the middle of a Syracuse city neighborhood I believe. Most other Wegman's in the Syracuse area are located on commercial roads or in the suburbs.

How about the Irish neighborhood that has the upside-down traffic light? Is that still there?
It's called Tippery Hill. Yes, the upside traffic light is still there. Don't have many pictures of that neighborhood. Parts of that area are rather run-down IMO.

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
I worked at that Wegmans while I was in high school. The land was a cemetary before the store was built.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I wonder what that Antonio's is like. Nicely done, again, the first picture kinda looks like a building surrounding empty lots. The latter half of the pictures gives a real good impression the city is very livable and nice.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
It's called Tippery Hill. Yes, the upside traffic light is still there. Don't have many pictures of that neighborhood. Parts of that area are rather run-down IMO.
That's it. I saw some pictures of it once before on the net...

How about...

Tompkins Street and Milton Avenue

Here is the world-famous intersection in Syracuse, where the green light is located at the top. Yes, this is because this was an Irish neighborhood, and the local residents did not want a red light on top, because it represented the British to them.

In the picture at top, one can see at the extreme right the park that commemorates those who threw the rocks at the signals. Below left, a closeup of the sculpture that commemorates the stonethrowers.
More at http://cny-signals.tripod.com/en/syracuse/tipperary_hill.htm

Ahh, only the Irish... :lol:

·
A Chip Off the ROC
667 Posts
Is that Wegmans in a vibrant neighborhood? If there isn't room for expansion there, I'm afraid you'll see a shuttered store in the next few years. We're down to only one Wegmans within the City limits here in their hometown. They're trying to come up with a plan to expand the remaining inner city store to meet their typical megastore format without pissing off the neighborhood around it. Despite the likely bulldozing of a number of historic buildings, I'm sure they'll get approval for it. Great pics BTW, Clark.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that Wegmans in a vibrant neighborhood? If there isn't room for expansion there, I'm afraid you'll see a shuttered store in the next few years. We're down to only one Wegmans within the City limits here in their hometown. They're trying to come up with a plan to expand the remaining inner city store to meet their typical megastore format without pissing off the neighborhood around it. Despite the likely bulldozing of a number of historic buildings, I'm sure they'll get approval for it. Great pics BTW, Clark.
No room for an expansion around that Wegmans. I can hardly believe it's lasted this long. The Wegmans is located in a northside neighborhood that has seen better days.

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts