SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's about time I posted up some of my HK pics on here. I visited for 3 days on my way to Melbourne early last month. I've posted quite a few already on the HK and world forums and had quite a good response coz I've stayed away from posting the usual Skyline shots.
I've got lots to say about Hong Kong....to visit there and stand next to some of the most impressive and recognisable skyscrapers on the planet was unreal. My lasting image of HK is from my first night there, we went into Central and the cloud cover had fallen so low that the tallest buildings disappeared into it. Everywhere you looked there were giant LED screens advertising the usual brand products courtesy of some stunning Chinese females. It was so atmospheric and actually reminded me so much of the city from the film Bladerunner.....I was just lost, staring around in wonder at these huge neon emblazoned 1000ft towers vanishing skyward into the mist while my senses were being pounded by countless giant LED advertising screens screaming at me in cantonese......and I didn't take my camera taht night, Blagghh!

Start with the current tallest, 2 International Finance Centre 413.8 m

Looking up :uh:

As part of the Central Skyline....there's that low cloud I was on about as well

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next tallest, Central Plaza 374 m to the spire. This is not part of the main Central kyline and is situated a couple of kmto the east in the Wan Chai district. This is a beautiful skyscraper and we could do with something like this in Birmingham.....even if it is reduced to 120 m :)

View from Causeway bay (a tad further to the East)

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even though the weather looks shite in the photo's it was quite sunny while I was there, I've got photo's of my sunburnt slaphead to prove it. There was always a thin layer of low cloud hovering around though which added a greyness to the sky, very bizarre. As mentioned already, it looked spectacular at night coz it actually created a halo affect around the tallest buildings when they were lit up. I didn't take too many night photo's because I didn't want to carry my camera around at night (I tend to lose cameras when I go out) and on my last night my batteries ran out at the worst possible time....I'll tell you more about that later. I have got this shot though of 2IFC from the Mid Levels.....it almost captures the image I'm trying to portray to you, but at the same time falls way short.

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bank of China Tower 367.4 metres to the top of the spire. Probably one of the most recognizable and certainly most beautiful skyscrapers in the world. If you think it looks fantastic in pictures you ought to see in person

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Great pics Smiley.
I really want to pic my arse up and get over there asap.
What are the hotel prices etc like?
I feel I'd like Melbourne alot too.
Cheers.

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Northbeach. HK's definitely worth a visit as you can probably tell by my witterings but I would recommend it as your first destination of a two centre break. Choose somewhere nice and relaxing for your second break coz HK does take it out of you. Then again HK has got many secluded spots and beaches which unfortunately I never got round to visiting.
The Hotel I stopped in was the 4 Star Eaton Hotel on Nathan Road in Kowloon, it worked out about £38 a night which is definitely more than reasonable. The food out there I also found very reasonbly priced and the public transport was (literally) pennies. I actually had money left over from what I'd designated for myself in HK so that was all the more for me to spend in Australia

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next, The Cheung Kong Centre at 283.00 metres. It's just a box really but looks really impressive on the HK skyline especially at night. It is situated next to the Bank Of China tower and you can actually see it's reflection in one of the pics above.

Looking up

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The tallest of the Sorrento Apartments at Union Square comes in at 256 metres. This is one of my first views of Hong Kong because Kowloon Station, where I alighted the Airport Express train service, is situated under the Union Square developement. It's a bit of a shock to the system when you this developement first hand. There's still a lot of construction going on including the nearly completed Arch at 231 metres and US7 which at 474metres will be HK's highest when completed in 2007

Sorrento Apartments

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These next few are obviously not my own photos (SanMiguel was lucky man on the helicopter) but I've posted them to show the scale of the Union Square project....my photo's of it were a little wanting.

The Arch...all 231 metres of it :uh: :uh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts