SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not sure if there are other threads in this section for Chengdu (I'm sure there is), but heres one of my recent trip to the capital of the spicy Sichuan province in China - Chengdu!!!

This city is unlike any other in China, where (from what I've seen) looks much more greener and planty-er. Also, Chengdu doesn't get much blue, clear skies - not so much from pollution, but mainly as it is situated in a giant basin/valley sort of thing which causes the cloudy, greyish/brownish skies.

Chengdu & Sichuan is famous for it's spicy cuisine and is well known across China as well as the world.

Here are a few photos I have taken during a recent trip to China:

spicy noodles!!

Near lively shopping areas

a break from the busy streets of modern Chengdu

·
In mourning
97,176 Posts
nice photos!!

Since those are your self made images, I'm going to move this thread to the Urban Show Case thread, hope your don't mind!

·
Banned
7 Posts
Need to go to Chongqing as well in order to get an impression of western China proper. These two cities are fabulous and really have their own personalities. Both of them are quite underestimated on SSC.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
near a place called 'wangfujing' (not the same as Beijing's one).
this area is very lively at night as well as traffic

a random street in Chengdu, i would of thought less known, distant Chinese cities with lower populations would
seem more quiet but how wrong i was. Chengdu is bustling with life everywhere

early evening near 'Wangfujing' area

outside and old temple complex in Chengdu. Notice the greenery in the scene. it's like this everywhere!

looking south at Tianfu Sq (the centre of Chengdu, sort of equivilent to Tiananmen Sq in Beijing). Lots of construction going on.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need to go to Chongqing as well in order to get an impression of western China proper. These two cities are fabulous and really have their own personalities. Both of them are quite underestimated on SSC.
i really want to visit Chongqing one day but that day seems fairly distant lol...
your right about them being underestimated on ssc, i also believe they are underestimated in the world too, not many average peoples have even heard about these cities...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

spicy noodles!!
love the food, hot and spicy. it is more commonly referred to as 'Szechuan cuisine' outside China, but only in Sichuan can you get the authentic flavor.

thanks for your pics and keep them coming:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
love the food, hot and spicy. it is more commonly referred to as 'Szechuan cuisine' outside China, but only in Sichuan can you get the authentic flavor.

thanks for your pics and keep them coming:)
yea, the 'westernized' versions of Szechuan food tastes nothing like what we tried in Chengdu lol. I'm not sure about other places, but in areas where I live, most take away Szechuan food incredibly different tasting.

Also many places we walked around in Chengdu, you can smell the iconic Sichuan peppercorn being used in the cooking around the resturaunts

early hours before shops have opened:

early evening, seems to be the most busiest time of day, traffic jams are huge during this time, it took us double the
time to get to our hotel

delicious and amazing candy art!

random streets in the day

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
some more photos:

starbucks in Chengdu old streets

old streets in chengdu - lots of spicy snacks on a stick like this lamb thing with herbs and spices sprinkled on it... so nice

view outside hotel

views outside hotel again

chengdu shopping street at night

icon of Chengdu, the panda! these are on many taxis around Chengdu city

some more spicy Sichuan cuisine

mmm... so many snacks on a stick on the streets.

the entrance to the panda breeding and research base.

of course, the famous panda!! thec onditions there are really good, not like ones you would expect in developing countries zoos...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep, here's some more:

in this (forgot, have to look it up) old temple/garden place

busy streets

Chunxi Lu

tianfu sq with awesome water fountain and this smoke thing that covers the ground!

famous hot, bubbling, spicy sichuan hot pot!

chunxi lu again

Chunxi Lu again again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts