SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
a sample of a rest stop alongside the TN highway system......hot veggie south Indian meals for Rs35.00 only....'twas airconditioned and quite clean!!...this trip was full of surprises!.....

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
the TTDC coach that took us across TamilNadu....parked in the first motel we stayed at, in a town by name "Seerkazhi" in the middle of nowhere...BUT, check out the motel...world class!.....

The motel in "Seerkazhi".....could be anywhere in the world!!...I was definitely impressed!....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Monkey1,

I used to spend my summer holidays in Kodai for 6 weeks every year growing up in India until the late 80s. My family has been visiting kodai since my Grandfathers time in the 40s. We have maintained a summer home there since the 40s. I haven't been to Kodai since 1999. Your pics bring back fond memories of hiking through the mountains, along streams, clambering up and down the side of waterfalls, stealing plums and pears from fruit orchards, practising for boat races during the summer festival at the Kodai boat club, curling up with a nice book near a large french window at the kodai club, taking walks in the mist with my 17 cousins. These experiences made me who i am. I've travelled the world, but Kodai remains close to my heart.

There are the tourist sites in Kodai which are definitely worth a visit as you did. There are also plenty of "of the beaten track" places that only locals know about and cherish. Perhaps you should get a place there? :)

The flight from Chennai to Madurai is a cinch at 45 mins, and then a pre-paid taxi to Kodai in three hours. A lot better than taking an overnight ttrain to Kodai Road, and then a bus to Kodai. The highways though, seem to have improved in leaps and bounds since the 80s and 90s.

Thanks for the pics.

·
Maduraitech
1,076 Posts
Hi Monkey1,

The flight from Chennai to Madurai is a cinch at 45 mins, and then a pre-paid taxi to Kodai in three hours. A lot better than taking an overnight ttrain to Kodai Road, and then a bus to Kodai. The highways though, seem to have improved in leaps and bounds since the 80s and 90s.

Thanks for the pics.
Just one more thing, soon you can fly by Helicopter from Madurai to Kodaikanal Which will make the complete journey from Chennai to Kodai in just 2 hours.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts