SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
34,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the gateway shot from a passing train

bridgewater place from the railway station, perfectly decent from the front but less said about the back the better

this rather offensive lump sites outside the city station. demolish it and fix the roads running under it

queen's hotel works much better. recently renovated art-deco spread that was the final great railway hotel to be built next to a major station in the UK.

i like city square... quite nice, particularly the stone cladding, the glass vertical lifts running up it.

park plaza hotel is quite an inoffensive reclad, nothing special though

i really like this building, it's the stone cladding (granite?) that makes it. can have some interesting effects with a circular polarising filter

oh dear. what were they thinking with that glass section at the bottom?

but naturally despite previously pure sun it rapidly clouded over. grrr. still the cladding on this isn't so bad

direct line house, then headrow house, is the last part of reginald bloomfield's inter war masterplan for leeds that was actually built.

and finally k2. after this the weather went shite, it rained and i went home so you've missed out on me trying to polish the turds of opal 3 and sky plaza with a camera.

·
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
13,066 Posts
cracking pics - u have a way with the camera :) how did u manage to make the gateway look nice? :shifty: did u have to walk round it 10 times to find the *only* angle where it manages to look ok? :dunno:

shame ya didnt get time to take some of granary wharf or broadcasting place and it rained :(

·
Administrator
34,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was looking forward to those two... i'm gonna go again pretty soon.

as for the gateway, just shot it from the train as we went past on the way into leeds.

·
13,066 Posts
^^

coz u hav a really good camera it would be great if you could take some updated skyline pics :yes:

from this, my favourite vantage point there only exists this quite old photo from russel davies, which has changed quite noticeabley due to the development since this was taken

·
Administrator
34,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinking about that. what locations are there that are really good, and easy to get to from leeds city centre?

·
13,066 Posts
Ideally you would need a car. I'm sure one of leeds forummers would be happy to pick ya up from the station and take you to the 3 or 4 best vantage points if it means some turd-polished decent shots lol. I do funny shifts which makes it awkward, but if no one volunteers i could always do it i guess, as long as ur not as scary in real life as your avatar skull thing :p

In terms of locations.. of the top of my head..

1) the m621 near ikea coming into leeds (the view posted above). A new photo from this view is badly needed imo

2) beeston hill area has two shots, and it actually about a 10 minute bus rude from the city centre with buses every 5 minutes or so.

3) This one is an 8-10 minute walk from the train station, taken from over a bridge. I guess u can work out where it is from the pic itself :nuts:

·
Administrator
34,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

can you find me the precise position this was taken from on google maps? i'll go here next time and shoot it with a 420mm lens. wiggles, if you're up for it some time i am too. you might also want to bring a step ladder if you have one, shooting pics an extra 5 feet up can make all the difference (as can taking pics laying on the ground - i have one of those posted above). also if you have a car there's nothing to stop us simply going to the top of a few multi storey car parks :)

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
Possibly my favourite building in Leeds. Just wish the bottom didn't look so scruffy.
The main thing that brings it down is the concrete canopy. If it was removed it would encourage the shop owners to make their windows look presentable.

I prefer the back of Bridgewater Place to the front.

Shouldn't this be in the Electric Press...

·
13,066 Posts
can you find me the precise position this was taken from on google maps? i'll go here next time and shoot it with a 420mm lens. wiggles, if you're up for it some time i am too. you might also want to bring a step ladder if you have one, shooting pics an extra 5 feet up can make all the difference (as can taking pics laying on the ground - i have one of those posted above). also if you have a car there's nothing to stop us simply going to the top of a few multi storey car parks :)
it was taken here google streetview just up on that grass verge, avoiding the dog poo :nuts: its just a shame that its such an ugly view lol.

I could drive you ya to the m621 point too where russel davies took his pic but i dont know how he managed to take it so perfectly. He says he took it through the window screen. When i tried the equiv pic with my mate driving all i could get was this which looks totaly different :dunno: i think had a panoramic wide lense thing. mine's just a basic camera

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Gothic, I think that pic you were asking about can only have been taken from this open space on Beeston Hill. As for the pic from the M621, I'm going to be in Leeds with a car myself this week (for the first time) for a couple of days, though I'm not too optimistic about the chances of having anyone to operate a camera. Still, you never know.

EDIT: Corrected link so it is without misleading placemark.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Stonking pics, Gothic.

Possibly my favourite building in Leeds. Just wish the bottom didn't look so scruffy.
That's a very eccentric opinion you have there. I've never met anyone who actually likes this building. This is what should have been built on the site.

·
13,066 Posts
^^ naah, it's where i said it's from. i took the same pic here.. note the roof tops

MattN if you've got a good camera (you do iirc) i'd drive ya up and down the m621 till ya got the perfect pic from the m621 :nuts:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Oh dear, I left the placemark on my link next to the cemetery, sorry about that, I meant the green space just to the east! I have corrected the link.

·
Sky Chaser
96 Posts
This was taken around 12 months ago and is my favorite spot to view the city from. Would you be interested in that shot? There will also be another midrise just to the left of this pic now.

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
As it is at the top of The Headrow, I am glad that we got the density of Headrow House. It needs a taller building at that site.

I would probably have preferred the old design if it had extra floors, but at least Headrow House is in the same style.

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
Leeds is lucky to be able present a good skyline from most approaches to the city due to it's topography, but I think the best are from the M1 and M621, and the A61 Scott Hall Road. From the A61 you capture the less impressive Little London towers and student towers, but the composition and clustering is excellent.

This is a good long distance one too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3657285032/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts