SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rather than focus on the turds that grace much of leicester i thought i'd start off by doing a post on some of the nicer parts of it which i am sure were helped by the stunning weather we have had lately.

first up is the clock tower. impressive design but i am not the only one who thinks it should have been twice the size?

some student housing, i quite like this post modernism.

the river soar at least here looks REALLY nice

anyone got any idea what this piece of baroque is called?

i'm not sure i should have included this but i do have a weakspot for the projecting wood frame. it's a nice idea of a building but the finish looks a bit cheap

st mary de castro from castle gardens

chaucer got married here you know?

and finally leicester cathedral. it's not much of a "cathedral" apart from the fine spire. i do have a weakness for the atypical half timbered porch too

there are actually a lot of pretty streets in leicester. does anyone else think ones like this should have the tarmac ripped up to reveal the old cobbles under them

and the front of the cathedral

the shit buildings will follow tomorrow!

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
Some nice pictures there Gothicform. The clocktower is a great piece of architecture, I do agree it would look hugely impressive if it were twice the size ;)

Did you only photograph some of the oldy-worldy architecture, and not any of the newer buildings that now grace the city? No, posting a picture of the distinctly average Phoenix Square does not count!! :D Surprised you didn't include many of the other classic buildings found in the 'Best buildings in Leicester' thread, aswell.

I honestly cannot wait to see the photos of the awful buildings, I think what we need to do is send out e-mails to the local authorities with these attached just to remind them what a monumental ****-up they made. They are what have made, and what continue to make Leicester look like a disaster imo.

That said, I hope you had a nice enough time here, thanks again :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
A nice 'start' but many gems missing (see other thread). Somethings tells me there will be a lot more 'nasty building' photos.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
The building you called student housing is the Queens Building. Students don't live there.

I like the buildings you have chosen but these are still not my favourite within the city. I am a huge fan of curve and love the John Lewis building when the colours are used. I am even a fan of the National Space Centre. In terms of older buildings there are a few gems in Leicester but many have shops at the bottom which destory their image. I am interested in seeing what you rate as the worst building in Leicester. I can actually already guess to be fair though.

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately by the time i got to the curve the light was bad... the overhang on it makes it hard to photo to start with and get properly exposed. i think it would be best to go there at dusk with a tripod. i didn't see john lewis... also missing is sterling's engineering building which i planned on seeing but due to an unexpected bank error (they locked my card thinking it had been used for fraud) i was unable to get to leicester in time to see everything. i shall return there and do both john lewis and the engineering building, and also the national space centre. :)

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
Goth any chance you will be returning to Nottingham to do the "nice stuff" there? (Cue the predictable comments about there being no nice stuff from the Leicester forumers :hahano:)

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha yes i will. the train goes through nottingham to leicester so its simply a case of getting off there. i was planning to anyway but for the station embarrassingly refusing my card... twice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts