SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
unfortunately despite some pretty nice historic bits and a spot of new and decent architecture leicester suffers from a big heap of stinking post-war crap. it's not as bad as nottingham but that's like saying a dog turd is better to eat than a cow turd because there's less of it. i've included in here some ok stuff too, all tall buildings though.

st george's tower in leicester... just... speechless. who thought it would be a good idea to paint concrete blue and why is he still alive? the paint is already starting to come off it.

this is a well polished turd thanks to the weather but spot the flaking paint?

the near blank service shaft really offends me

elizabeth house is ok in the sun but i imagine when you don't have the shadows thanks to the fenestration it looks bad bad bad

this is st john's house and i actually quite like it

the new walk centre is right out of 60s west berlin

the cladding is in a really poor state. imagine this though with floor to ceiling reflective glass, i think it would look amazing.

i do like the arrangement of them curving around a central courtyard

60 charles street. whyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

this beauty on humberstone gate...

thames tower has been reclad??????????? note crumbling brick in the foreground to make it look less appetising

just what you need when you fancy some fresh air on your balcony, a bunch of busy roads

this building, thames tower, will never look better than this, and it still looks like a high-rise young offenders institute. bars on the windows and the look will be complete.

finally the cardinal telephone exchange which i think a lot of people have a soft spot for. it does need a reclad but keep the original lines

is this the world's most pathetic "fountain". i like how it's basically used as a rubbish bin by locals. this could be a really nice space though if the council bothered to do it up properly.

you can see here the poor state of the cladding, bits have clearly fallen off it and windows are cracked.

i don't feel the back works at all... very centrepoint really.

it's quite sad really... the development opportunities have been there for leicester but the council just missed them really. oh, and i know opal court is missing... didn't have time to go to the uni.

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
More good pictures Gothicform, thanks for sharing.

These images tell Leicester's story quite well.. poor quality buildings that were erected in place of BEAUTIFUL victorian architecture. If you browse the latest pages of a few Leicester threads you will find old Victorian photos of what the City used to look like and it's an absolute crime what our council did to it.

I'm surprised, but also quite pleased that you find some of the so called turds good buildings.

St Georges tower is a disgrace, the paint as you rightly said is starting to come away in a few places but to be honest it never had an even finish to start with! It could have been so much more (infact, see the original proposed renders in the SGT thread) - could have been quite a stunning refurb for one of East Midlands' tallest.

The Council buildings are great in their own way. They've been there for decades (my grandma used to work there even!) and so time has really taken its toll with it unfortunately. The cladding design is fairly typical 60s, but the building design as a whole is quite unique and does look impressive given its height. If it were to be reclad with glass, I agree completely it'd look amazing. The council are currently mulling over their options, they are either going to overhaul the building from top to bottom (we might get that glass-cladding yet!) or relocate to a brand new council HQ elsewhere within the City - again not a bad option as it'll give us another great building, but it'd be a shame if we lost the current one.

That thing on Charles Street is complete 1960s arse! Then again, a lot of what is on Charles Street is complete arse, so at least it fits in with its surroundings...

The building you captured on Humberstone Gate is perhaps the worst building in the City. It's in complete disrepair with huge (and i do mean huge) chuncks of concrete missing, or hanging precariously. It's a massive shit-stain, and only makes Humberstone Gate look worse - which is difficult it has to be said, much work needs doing down there.

That fountain. I laughed my fat arse off when I read your comment :D It's a nice erm.. well it's.. yeah.. Leicester City Council.

Cardinal Exchange is an excellent building in need of attention. It's the regions tallest, and deserves to be tarted up in the best possible way. Against the blue sky it looks very impressive, infact it looks impressive in any weather but of course it looks worse aethetically when it's not sunny ;)

I hope it can be brought into the 21st Century at some point in the near future.. we do have a soft spot for it like you said.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the pictures and i'm glad you had chance to come and visit. It's a shame you couldn't see the HX or get any pictures of Curve, or any of the other additions/improvements to Leicester but maybe, as you say, next time :)

Cheers

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
That blue building used to be a grey building, which looked a hundred times better aswell! The old windows made it look like each level was floating - not bad for a 60s job!

It's been blue for about a couple of years now I think?

Awful isn't it? :D

It's next to the train station btw..

·
Registered
143 Posts
^^
It always looked pretty shite. It was a very dark shade of grey - dull, oppressive, depressing.
A real shame cos despite all the dross pictured here, Leicester's a great and underated city.

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I never said it was beautiful ;) Just a hundred times better than what some Iranian tit has done to it. The original designs for it's refurb looked great, and we were all hopeful of having a wonderful high-rise in place of what you rightly said was a depressing building.

I would much rather have it back in its original form.. the damn thing is truly awful now :(

Many thanks for the kind comments about Leicester though, we don't get much and it's nice to hear! :)

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
d4mo85, bear in mind i haven't seen these buildings in anything but perfect weather so they looked better than they are. even then i was wearing sunglasses with nice polarised lenses so basically what my pics are are what i was seeing walking around leicester!

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
That's a weak excuse Gothic, I think you love the turd ;)

In all seriousness, the weather does this country no favours at all.. but that doesn't make up for the appalling mistakes our councils have made. The buggers..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good photos. If ST George's and Thames towers had the reclad which they should have then they wouldn't be in this section. I think the reclad of Thames tower is bloody awful.

·
Penguin fancier
4,064 Posts
Charles Street isn't all crap. There are actually some nice buildings along it.

Sadly I have no camera :(

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
It's that typical Leicester 50/50 mix of decent and absolute pap though Mark. There are some great buildings along Charles Street, especially the art deco style architecture found in a few places, amongst other nice styles. But then you have a load of terrible 60s examples thrown in amongst them and it's a sad story that resembles most of Leicester.

The worst part is the bottom end near Wilkinsons..

EDIT: Just noticed, on the far right of the Humberstone Gate photo (not the fountain picture) you can see the big brown building I was working in up until a few weeks ago. You get an excellent view of the whole Lee Circle area and then Thames Tower, Melton Road and Bradgate Park in the distance. Awful bloody building though, it used to be the old Bank and so having huge brown tinted bullet-proof glass windows that do not open means it's awful in hot weather! It backs onto the Yeoman Street carpark near Curve.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That blue building used to be a grey building, which looked a hundred times better aswell! The old windows made it look like each level was floating - not bad for a 60s job!

It's been blue for about a couple of years now I think?

Awful isn't it? :D

It's next to the train station btw..
Really? I didn't even notice a tall building near the train station :nuts: as for the city though i quite liked it when i was there.

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,435 Posts
The the second building in your second post Gothic is Crown House (former court?) and in my opinion is one of the better tall buildings in the city. It's meant to be in a apartment scheme which has not materialised for years, except for some demolition work which has ended up as a temporary car park.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It's that typical Leicester 50/50 mix of decent and absolute pap though Mark. There are some great buildings along Charles Street, especially the art deco style architecture found in a few places, amongst other nice styles. But then you have a load of terrible 60s examples thrown in amongst them and it's a sad story that resembles most of Leicester.

The worst part is the bottom end near Wilkinsons..

EDIT: Just noticed, on the far right of the Humberstone Gate photo (not the fountain picture) you can see the big brown building I was working in up until a few weeks ago. You get an excellent view of the whole Lee Circle area and then Thames Tower, Melton Road and Bradgate Park in the distance. Awful bloody building though, it used to be the old Bank and so having huge brown tinted bullet-proof glass windows that do not open means it's awful in hot weather! It backs onto the Yeoman Street carpark near Curve.
Damo - where did you work?

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
It's called InTraining, Ruts. It's the tall brown bricked and windowed building opposite the Sainsbury's on Humberstone Gate.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Gothic form, I must take umbridge with your comments about Nottingham.

Why have you got such a downer on the place? Nottingham has some great history/ historical architecture and plenty of good points e.g the universities, retail, OMS, lace market, sports facilities, etc. Nottingham has a lot of ugly buildings as you pointed out when you photographed Main Marian Way but that is well known to be an eyesore part of the city. There are some great new developments too, such as the pod and Nottingham contemporary.

Have you got an axe to grind for some reason or do you always make generalisations based on limited evidence? I am not having a go I just want to know why you compared Nottingham to Stoke on another thread, which is a bit of a joke quite frankly.

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
Why are you discussing that in here? Gothic put up a seperate Nottingham thread some time ago, go through the pages and you'll find it.

No need to litter this thread ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts