Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Bonjour Will, nice pics. Did you enjoy your visit to Liverpool?

Just one small point, if you do not mind my mentioning it. Clicking on your nice pictures, I see that you have titled each of them "Manchester......". Just to be clear, Liverpool is not a part of Manchester, just as Lyon is not a part of Marseilles, and Milan is not a part of Turin, and France is not a part of Germany.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
That's just Guillaume's file structure. One supposes he visited (or flew into) Manchester and checked out all interesting places nearby. Of course, he should have flown in LPL cheaply and used that to explore our beautiful hinterland of Chester and North Wales (with a day trip to Manchester, if he should choose - takes all kinds). So, he probably lobbed all of his pics from that trip into a bin called Manchester. Nothing to be worried about.

However, Will's great pics illustrate something that has concerned me for a bit. All tourists go to the Pier Head and the waterfront generally. Of course they should. And soon this area will be a big load better.

It's good to see Will get up to the Anglican cathedral. However, with the exception of the central business grid (the mediaeval seven streets of Liverpool, basically) the best and most beautiful part of Liverpool city centre is the Georgian Streets mostly behind the cathedral. Percy Street, Canning Street, Falkner Street, Catherine Street, Falkner Square, etc.: unless tourists stay in the youth hostel in the last of these, they don't get to see this.

I think that Liverpool maybe needs some kind of attraction deep into the Georgian part of Liverpool 8. There's now two attractively revamped pubs - although I liked the old versions of each - in the Blackburne Arms and Belvedere, as well as that old mainstay, Peter Kavanagh's. I suppose Williamson's tunnels are close. Nevertheless, I'd love there to be a "must see" attraction right in the middle of what they now call Canning. It's many people's favourite part of Liverpool. If tourists were to visit it, they'd know for sure that they'd visited somewhere special.

·
Registered Abuser
2,834 Posts
What happened to the forumer "Liverpool8"? Sorry, Awayos post just reminded me about him. Nice pics will, hope you liked Liverpool!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Excellent point about the Georgian terraces Awayo. It really does tend to be overshadowed by the more vibrant redevelopments and the 'must see' circuit of the major architectural attractions.

Agree about the Blackburne as well. As fine a kept pint as I've ever tasted in our city. Always clean as a whistle and clear as springwater. The Bass and the Landlords are superb whilst Gerrard's humour while serving it is as dry as camel's minge.

:)

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Thanks for the post and photos.
Could this thread be moved to Liverpolitan's 6 hours in Liverpool thread, otherwise we'll all be adding new threads on our day out to Liverpool.
Good idea, if you can find it. That thread was created because I had dozens of pictures to post of what anyone could see on a reasonabe length walk around town - not shots of particular developments. It was an "omnibus" style collection, similar to the "coast/beaches" one, which I and others added to over months. It was very popular, in terms of page views and comments, and I must remember to put some more photos up there.

What some others tend to do - such as Woody and Juxtapol and Doug - is separate out their days pictures under developments, and hence they very rarely create photo threads but instead add to development ones. I agree with you though - if Will had a choice, I think he's right to have kept his collection together and the six hours one would be good for that. Of course, you could have added your "my city" snap to the "six hours" thread, to save creating a whole thread for one photo, but that is personal choice.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
What happened to the forumer "Liverpool8"?
I want to know that also, it has been a major loss to the Forum. He / she said there would be far less L8 posts because of involvement in various arts projects for Capital of Culture. There are some more arts-based sites around that may have grabbed L8 away from us I suppose, which is a pity.

·
willcity
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bonjour Will, nice pics. Did you enjoy your visit to Liverpool?

Just one small point, if you do not mind my mentioning it. Clicking on your nice pictures, I see that you have titled each of them "Manchester......". Just to be clear, Liverpool is not a part of Manchester, just as Lyon is not a part of Marseilles, and Milan is not a part of Turin, and France is not a part of Germany.
Hi Liverpolitan, you're completely right , Liverpool is defenitely not a part of Manchester but the pics were in my Manchester file, that's all! The two cities have distinct cultures.

·
willcity
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One supposes he visited (or flew into) Manchester and checked out all interesting places nearby. Of course, he should have flown in LPL cheaply and used that to explore our beautiful hinterland of Chester and North Wales (with a day trip to Manchester, if he should choose - takes all kinds).
QUOTE]

Actually, I worked in Manchester for about 8 month and I visited all the places around, I went to Chester (incredible town, because unlike most cities in the UK, it 's been preserved, especially the unusual shops as we can see on the picture below).
I have to admit I prefered Liverpool to Manchester, I found it more touristic but the Chinatown in a joke in comparison to Manchester!!
Pics: the first arch is in Manchester, the second one in Liverpool...

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
One supposes he visited (or flew into) Manchester and checked out all interesting places nearby. Of course, he should have flown in LPL cheaply and used that to explore our beautiful hinterland of Chester and North Wales (with a day trip to Manchester, if he should choose - takes all kinds).
QUOTE]

Actually, I worked in Manchester for about 8 month and I visited all the places around, I went to Chester (incredible town, because unlike most cities in the UK, it 's been preserved, especially the unusual shops as we can see on the picture below).
I have to admit I prefered Liverpool to Manchester, I found it more touristic but the Chinatown in a joke in comparison to Manchester!!
Pics: the first arch is in Manchester, the second one in Liverpool...
Ah, you know how to make friends, I can see that. :)

Liverpool's chinatown has an interesting and rather sad history. As a strongly "integrationist" city, there is less need for a formal chinatown than in more segregationist cities where mixing is not an integral part of the culture. The virtual (but not complete) demise of Liverpool's chinatown is not therefore an entirely negative thing. The British Government (rather than the City and people of Liverpool) have not always been welcoming to the Chinese. One claim, and it may well be a credible one, is that many Chinese were deported after the Second World War because of the acute housing shortage in Liverpool - the city was smashed to smithereens and it is true there were huge pressures on housing. But I am not sure that was a decision made in or by Liverpool, as to a large extent the city was effectively run by the national Government and armed forces, and it's hard to tell what an independent civic entity would have done. Much that went wrong in Liverpool went wrong because the city failed to regain its civic independence appropriately after the Second World War. As the home to the Battle of the Atlantic, and a vital port for importing food and materials and an important industrial centre, a highly centralised national Government of the late 1940s viewed the city as a strategic resource to be deployed and sometimes neglected in meeting national priorities. The elite of the city failed to win back rights that rival centres such as Manchester quickly obtained, for example the right to return the airport to civilian use. Quite why this happened is hard to say, but I think without a doubt the strategic importance of the city turned into a huge liability as national Government planners exploited it as a resource and had no regard to its future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts