Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guten Tag my dear SSC German fellows... my German is very limited (aber ich kann sprechen und verstehen Deutsch ein bischen ;)) so I will have to continue in English.

Munich is the capital of Bavaria, one of the most prosperous and pleasant cities in Germany and EU. I had a rather spontaneous trip and stayed in Munich for 3 days with a fellow forumer El_greco.

Besides Munich itself we did a 500km long trip around Alps (that included towns of Ettal and Oberammergau) and city of Innsbruck in Austria... hope noone will mind that I actually post photos from Austrian city in a thread about Germany (only a few though).

I will start with Munich first and then carry on with the rest just not to mess things up and keep it in order (as it always is in Germany :))

First batches of photos may look a little boring and not that exciting but please keep in mind that I tried to cover all aspects of the urban life in Munich and that includes streets, pedestrians, cars, buses, U-Bahn/S-Bahn, views from Olympiaturm... and even more cars at BMW Welt... some views of Autobahns and regular roads (including traffic signs) will be included as well for those who are into this stuff... so please keep tuned because everything will be posted here in well over 200 photos :)

P.S. I am a car admirer so please forgive for a disproportionally large amount of Audis, BMWs and MBs in my photos ;)

Before I start, my 2 cents of what impression of Munich and surrounding areas I have got. Munich is an incredibly pleasant and charming city which despite keeping its genuine traditional spirit is incredibly modern, efficient and adapted to the new days or urban development. I was especially impressed by the transportation system (both public transport and roads). I had that incredible feeling of "this is done right", "everything here looks better than elsewhere" or "this is how thing should be done"... the only other place where I had such a feeling was... Singapore. All in all Munich seems like a wonderful city most other cities can only look at with jealousness.

Historic skyline seen from the Bavarian Parliament building

A good quality lager (such as Warsteiner) is priced very reasonably and drinking in public doesn't seem to be "anti social" as it is considered in some countries. Which meant I had camera in one hand and bottle in another :)

The Bavarian Parliament

A typical view in the Altstadt (old town)

...and not so old

Many many more to come soon...

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Dr.Seltsam

Sale ('Everything must go!')

Most taxi cars are Mercedes E Class

Rathaus/Town Hall

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your photos here, Pansori :)

I like your style. Quite a different view on München. Are there more to come?

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, erbse. Yes, there are many many more to come. I tried to see and photograph as much as I could during those few days. Munich is a true marvel of Germany and Europe.

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here we go further

Kaufingerstrasse, one of the main shopping streets in Munich

Protesters staging a show against Iran's regime. "Nein zur Islamischen Republik! Nein zur Islamischen Republik!" (or something very similar) they shouted... "nein zur Islam!" some girl in the crowd accompanied... oops... this was not meant to happen. In the end of the day, it's all about freedom of speech

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Escalator to/from U-Bahn

Is it just me or the back lights of the new E class look like those of Lexus GS? I've heard talks of Lexus copying MB in the 90's... but MB copying Lexus?

S-Bahn train

Information screen in S-Bahn

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Autobahn in/near Munich under reconstruction... road works seemed very common in Bavaria (including Munich itself). It takes some sacrifices to keep the excellent quality of German roads. And that's indeed what they are. Driving was a great pleasure

The ultra-sexy Allianz Arena stadium... in my opinion, one of the best looking stadiums in Europe and, indeed, the world. Too bad we couldn't find a place to stop and wait for the dark to come when (?) the building is lit up with glowing colors

The sexy Audi A4 2L TDI Avant which we rented for a day to drive around the city and the Alps to the south... I would normally not rent such a car (eh, can't really afford it, there are way cheaper options) but it was 101% worth it. A truly magnificient machine with amazing interior quality, ease of driving, comfort, functionality, power and, not least importantly, fuel efficiency. I calculated that on average it consumed just over 6L of diesel per 100km while driving on steep mountain roads, speeding well over 140km/h on autobahns with AC, Satnav, headlights and radio constantly on for the whole day... in other words, we didn't give a damn about saving fuel. Something for the American car makers to think about, eh? :)

Victory Arch

MB Citaro is one of the most common buses that are used for public transportation. Indeed, you can find those all accross Europe from London to Vilnius

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Map of urban rail network (S-Bahn + U-Bahn). You can see how vast and comprehensive the system is

The following pictures are from BMW Welt. Too bad the BMW Museum was closed (Monday)...

Model of a carbon-neutral hydrogen engine

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Views from the Olympiaturm communications tower with an open viewing deck at 182m

Part of the inner ring-road

BMW Headquarters

·
planquadrat
10,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After long walking time to have a bite of some pork and potatoes with beer :)

One of the newer U-Bahn trains

Inside. These were the nicest looking metro trains I have seen. I love the fact that they have really large windows

1 - 20 of 35 Posts