Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In order to aviod of multiple preview threads, I made this one where I will post updates of my web-site www.urbancentre.net.

The newest addition to page is the powerpoint show "Riga - the metropolis of beauty", which you can download from the actual article with the same name. I made also High definition video and posted it to youtube, but better is to see the presentation itself, because my laptop wasn't powerful enough to properly record presentation in video file, so the music and photo streaming coherence isn't exactly like I made it - and you can notice some slower reaction. The powerpoint show file size is 62 mb.

Here Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXdwvrm6xQI

Description: This presentation will lead you into the enormous architectural fairy-tale land - the historical centre of Riga. Riga is the world's capital of Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) and here you will see some of Riga's most impressive and famous examples of this magnificent architecture style. Riga (like other important cities) has also Boulevard district, which surrounds rather unique feature - city's canal with the park area around it. This is the place where Riga Opera (which is becoming very prestige on the international level), National Theatre, Museum of National Art and other culture buildings are located. Third aspect which you'll see is the streetscapes of Riga centre - urban, dense quarters of wall-to-wall buildings from the end of 19th/beginning of 20th Century in various architecture styles - Art Nouveau, Art Deco, etc.

Small preview version:

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Mate with all due respect - you are a great photographer and I love to see your work, but we live in a differnt age than 10 years ago and while I'm sure you have a great site full of pictures I doub't you should expect to get visitors this way..

And to be honest I don't think it's the right part of the forum to make such a thread - a photo thread should be about photos not link to various websites..

My advice would be to use your signature for such promotion, not make picture free threads with links to off site places..

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Why only previews if I may ask?

I understand you have put a lot of effort into your site ( looks good ) but I just don't see many wiling to in this day and age seek out private sites - why community photosites like Flickr have become so popular - and why photo sections on forums are doing very well too

If you want your pictures seen I think you'd be better off by sharing them here than expect people to visit private sites

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why only previews if I may ask?

I understand you have put a lot of effort into your site ( looks good ) but I just don't see many wiling to in this day and age seek out private sites - why community photosites like Flickr have become so popular - and why photo sections on forums are doing very well too

If you want your pictures seen I think you'd be better off by sharing them here than expect people to visit private sites
You could be right at some point. I'm myself also quite lazy to visit external links. However, when I find something very promising and good, I become addicted and visit regularly, like, f.e., Gatis site about Latvia. Probably my site isn't on that level to be as good as people would not be lazy to make a click and to visit it and don't complain about a little promotion here. My bad...
But while I have money to pay for hosting, I will stick to this idea - as you pointed out, I have put a lot effort already, but the main reason is that site provides much more options than a forum. For example, I'm working at large Riga photo collection - it will be a map with city districts and then visitor would be able to click on each district and watch photos from there. At the same time, I will group my Riga photos also by street, by type of the photographed object (stone buildings, wooden buildings, churches, commieblocks, industrial objects, infrastructure, etc.), by the age of architecture (pre-war, Soviet time and modern). How can I do that here? I have tried to make many threads about Riga here but that just makes a chaos and I remember one forumer exactly gave advise to me to make a personal web-site where to collect my photos in one place. But, if noone knows about the web-site, what's the sense of it? So, that's why I promote it here.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
You put up 60+smth MB presentation on the Website. What is the goal to do like this? Very very few will take care to deal with such a megafile.
IMHO such PDF files are put up in administrative Websites, f.e. development plan of Riga is PDF - because it is more convenient to download it on own computer.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Riga centre in more than 800 pictures - this collection you can find on my web-site now. It's a first big step on my way to create all Riga photo collection. Although they're still not all the best pics I have of Riga centre (some hundreds are unprocessed yet), I think it gives quite a comprehensive survey of Riga central part. I have divided this area in 9 districts and there is a map where you can click on each district gallery and read a short introduction of them. Some of pics you will see also on my daily Riga thread, but here I will try to mix them with those I have not processed yet (with emphasis on the last ones).

So, if you're interested in Riga
- you're welcome to dive in the virtual photo tour through all sorts of cityscapes of Riga centre. Just come and enjoy these 12 square kilometres and see a glimpse of how multishaped and unique this city is!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I visited your website and I think especially Riga looks like a wonderful city, really understimated! You also made a nice work on Stockholm and the other cities.
Thanks, Nightsky, that's exactly what I wanted to show in my web-site!

Here some previews of Riga centre districts (1 pic of each) of my web-site Riga photo collection, to encourage others visit and see:

1 OLD TOWN - the very heart of Riga, place of great churches, cosy and narrow streets, lively squares, and an eclectic mix of architecture which you won't see anywhere else in the world!

2 BOULEVARD RING - Riga's 19th century parks with city canal in the middle and ornate buildings on sides is the most beautiful place if you want to relax from city rush.

3 CENTRAL MARKET AREA - welcome to one of the largest markets in Europe, situated in unique architectonic structures - five huge hangars from 1st World War time. There are also Stalinist highrise of Science Academy and two stunning wooden churches in this area!

4 CITADELE AND KRONVALD PARK - Citadele area is old 17th century fortification area with some buildings remained until nowadays. It's neighbouring Kronvald park is continuation of Boulevard Ring parks.

5 "SILENT" CENTRE - poshest and most prestigious part of Riga where apartments' prices exceeds even those of Old Town. It holds some of the most unique Art Nouveau architecture examples in the world and is the must-see area when you are in Riga!

6 AREA AROUND GERTRUDES CHURCH - this church looks great by itself and it has some very beautiful buildings around it.

7 CENTRAL PART OF THE CENTRE - the most dense and urban part of Riga where 5-7 floor buildings makes perimetrical built-up with many great architecture examples.

8 GRIZINKALNS - as a historical workers district of Riga this area is a bit simpler in architecture but it still has many interesting spots to discover and overall it - unique charm of the place.

9 DISTANT CENTRE - in this part of Riga centre you will find many smaller wooden houses as well as big masonry ones too. The most impressive part of it is Brivibas street urban built-up but at the same time some other streets will give you a feeling of small fairy-tale town.

·

409 Posts
Head up and just go for IT! Usually, the critics are those apes who do not have enough courage to go for it or to do their own thing, for example; I don't care!!! :horse:

Your page is handsome!

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Very nice. To me Riga looks a lot like Copenhagen :)
In some ways it does - from the old defenses now turned to parks to the architetural styles of many buildings to the colouring etc..
heck even the terrain to some degree ( flat :) )

A lovely city ( captured very well by Vecais Sakarnis!) :happy:

Edit - I remember some time ago in another part of the forum where there were a discussion about what was Northern Europe and what wasn't ( some wanted the UK to be NE :lol: and the Baltics to be EE :| ) - so I took a couple of my pics from Riga and a couple from CPH and asked them to identify the cities ( no one could )

While this is of course not the right place for this, I am personally very happy to see the recent history of the Baltics and to me it's sorta like they have come home - N&B are a region bound by history and culture all the way back to when the ice retracted from the last ice age and our ancesters got here - I hope we get even closer politically in the future as that is IMO the right way for the Nordics, not the south were you find very little respect for small nations or history..

·
Terras Irradient
4,025 Posts
Brilliant words, FREKI! That is something that unites our nations! Would be great if politicians understand that! :) I really hope once there will be a consolidated N&B region in face of all world! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts